Which dual subs to purchase??

J

joe teague

Enthusiast
Hello Audioholics, looking for some advice here. Last year I purchased a HSU 7.2 Hybrid 1 home theater package. This pkg. included 6 HB-1 mk2 horn book shelf speakers, 1 HC-1 center speaker, and 2 VTF-1 Mk3 subs. I love it. I replaced a Bose Accoustimas system that I had from 2004 and HSU blew that away. I am looking to go a bit deeper with my subs. I am looking at the HSU VTF 15 H mk2s, but reading some great things about about SVS and the the PB 2000's and having second thoughts. I never heard SVS subs before. Am I missing another great brand for that $1500 to $2000 price range for duals?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Power Sound Audio and Rythmik perhaps. The Hsu VTF-3 Mk5 is another consideration as well. Maybe the Monoprice 12"THX.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hello Audioholics, looking for some advice here. Last year I purchased a HSU 7.2 Hybrid 1 home theater package. This pkg. included 6 HB-1 mk2 horn book shelf speakers, 1 HC-1 center speaker, and 2 VTF-1 Mk3 subs. I love it. I replaced a Bose Accoustimas system that I had from 2004 and HSU blew that away. I am looking to go a bit deeper with my subs. I am looking at the HSU VTF 15 H mk2s, but reading some great things about about SVS and the the PB 2000's and having second thoughts. I never heard SVS subs before. Am I missing another great brand for that $1500 to $2000 price range for duals?
The 2000 subs from SVS are good, but the VTF15h mk2 is far more powerful. The VTF-1 mk3 is a good little sub, but the VTF15h mk2 smokes it (as well is should, being much more expensive). Two VTF15h mk2s would be pretty devastating. The VTF15h mk2 is pretty large and heavy though, so you will need a friend to help you unpack it and place it. Another good sub on sale at the moment is the Outlaw Ultra-X13 for 1099 each, but that sale end tomorrow.

J

joe teague

Enthusiast
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your responses. I looked into all of the suggested companies. Rythmik had impressive reviews on YouTube but I’m leaning towards HSU. The 2 HSU subs seem very close in performance. Is the VTF 15 Mk2 really worth the $200 and shipping costs over the VTF 3 MK5?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your responses. I looked into all of the suggested companies. Rythmik had impressive reviews on YouTube but I’m leaning towards HSU. The 2 HSU subs seem very close in performance. Is the VTF 15 Mk2 really worth the $200 and shipping costs over the VTF 3 MK5?
The main advantage of the VTF15h mk2 over the VTF-3 mk5 is the larger port and cabinet, this helps it achieve slightly deeper bass and it will not run into port turbulence as much if you drive it hard at port generated frequencies, which is mainly stuff below 40 Hz. Other than that, they will be very close in performance. If clean deep bass is a priority, the VTF15h mk2 might be worth it. It seems to me though that the VTF-3 mk5 can do 80% of what the VTF15h mk2 can do in deep bass and 99% of what the VTF15h mk2 can do in frequencies above 40 Hz.

If your application is music, go with the VTF-3 mk5, the VTF15h mk2 will have almost no advantage in music since the vast majority of music does not dig below 40 Hz.

N

Norm Lazure

Audioholic Intern
Look into JL Audio they make some of the best in the world. (At least I think so ) Plenty of thump Don't randomly say that you need a huge sub I picked up to 2 JL Audio 10 inch subs with thump to spare They where replacing a focal 13 inch sub and blew it away

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
SVS and Hsu are both quality brands.

Questions:
How big is the room? Is the room sealed or open to other areas? How loud do you want them to be able to play? How low do you want them to be able to play? How big of a sub is acceptable?

How do you use your system? All music? and if so what kind? Pipe organ and or electronica are much more demanding of a sub than Classic Rock or Country...

If your usage is action movies at high volume you'll probably want a larger more powerfull sub than if you mostly watch drama movies.

Gentlemen,
Depending on the answers to the questions above...Maybe???

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Look into JL Audio they make some of the best in the world. (At least I think so ) Plenty of thump Don't randomly say that you need a huge sub I picked up to 2 JL Audio 10 inch subs with thump to spare They where replacing a focal 13 inch sub and blew it away
I would also caution to not randomly say a pair of 10’s(agree JL is not random)will give thump to spare. Room size and construction will dictate that as much as what kind of sub is in there. My room for example is 3700cu not including the attached rooms, which is a concrete slab. As good as the JL’s are, there’s no way two sealed 10’s will work in my LR. My bedroom? Yes. Much smaller. Fwiw, I would expect JL subwoofers to outperform a focal. IME, not many “speaker” manufacturers put much into their subs.
Welcome to AH

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Joe, welcome to the forum!

I have few questions to add to what @STRONGBADF1 asked.

Are you keeping the two VTF1s? Do you have any placement issues?

You can get four RSL 10s Speedwoofers at $399.00 each and be under your $2000.00 budget for one sub. If you add the wireless system, an extra $50.00 each, you'll be near that $2000.00 budget.
The 10s will play down to 20Hz.

https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer10s/

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I think in the range of subwoofers you're considering the differences among them are relatively minor and you would likely be happy with any of them. Be sure to check out box size so you're not too surprised by how large a ported sub can be....you might even end up with something like this someday :)
View attachment 22989

https://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/x21-subwoofer-cabinet-from-ww-speakercabinets-8429422
How much are these. It says 1k on their website, is that correct. If it is I might have to try 4 off them

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How much are these. It says 1k on their website, is that correct. If it is I might have to try 4 off them
Seems the box alone goes for $675-950 or so, with the B&C driver thought it was $1750 from the data-bass review but really didn't look into pricing.

J

joe teague

Enthusiast
SVS and Hsu are both quality brands.

Questions:
How big is the room? Is the room sealed or open to other areas? How loud do you want them to be able to play? How low do you want them to be able to play? How big of a sub is acceptable?

How do you use your system? All music? and if so what kind? Pipe organ and or electronica are much more demanding of a sub than Classic Rock or Country...

If your usage is action movies at high volume you'll probably want a larger more powerfull sub than if you mostly watch drama movies.

Depending on the answers to the questions above...Maybe???

1) Room size is just over 2500 cu ft, so not huge.
2) The room has one opening to it, and it is a stairwell.
3) I'm not quite sure how to answer this. It's movie dependent. However, I have set them up with the recommendations from HSU in the one port open mode. Q setting at the lowest and volume at 9 o'clock. Which from 1-9 with 1 being lowest they are set at 3 for volume.
4) so with some movies that are heavy bass, I've noticed the sub dropping out and chuffing or whatever you guys call it. so I figured it would be a good time to upgrade.
5) maybe this answer is biased at what subs I had in mind, but the size of the VTF 15 MK 2 is probably the largest I could get away with before all hell breaks loose with the wife.

6) I watch TV and movies mostly. I'm not a gamer. I do amplify my guitar through it occasionally.

Also I use a lower end Denon receiver AVR-S920W

J

joe teague

Enthusiast
Hi Joe, welcome to the forum!

I have few questions to add to what @STRONGBADF1 asked.

Are you keeping the two VTF1s? Do you have any placement issues?

You can get four RSL 10s Speedwoofers at $399.00 each and be under your $2000.00 budget for one sub. If you add the wireless system, an extra $50.00 each, you'll be near that $2000.00 budget.
The 10s will play down to 20Hz.

https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer10s/
I would prefer to sell the VTF 1's and i don't have any placement issues.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I think in the range of subwoofers you're considering the differences among them are relatively minor and you would likely be happy with any of them. Be sure to check out box size so you're not too surprised by how large a ported sub can be....you might even end up with something like this someday :)
View attachment 22989

https://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/x21-subwoofer-cabinet-from-ww-speakercabinets-8429422
lovinthehd
Go big or go home. Dual subs. Sure. Why go halfway to paradise?
The only downside is you need a forklift to move them. Minor inconvenience

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
lovinthehd
Go big or go home. Dual subs. Sure. Why go halfway to paradise?
The only downside is you need a forklift to move them. Minor inconvenience

Hey Buck, can you tell me anything about those subs? They look like commercial subs that use the SI HS24 driver, but the only commercial subs that I know of which use that driver are DSS subs, and those do not look like DSS.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis