Which Appliances Consume Electricity When Turned OFF?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I bought Feit smart plugs (not sure why they call an outlet a plug)
I would think it is a plug when you shove it into an outlet. Once it is in, the outlet on it is an outlet, not a plug. So, you would plug something into that outlet.:D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You just don't know as your heating needs change from day to day compared to your historical usage. Phone chargers are electronic instead of a small transformers of the past chargers. Only think on is that tiny led that is on. Perhaps 1/10Watt or less, 2.4W a day?
Now, your modem and router is on 24/7. Mine used about 30W/hr. each. But, lots depend on it being on 24/7.
Change all lighting to LED even if they were fluorescent.
The new thermostat is way more precise than the 35 year old analog junk supplied with the apartment. I'm sure I will definitely save some money on the heating bill portion. From now on, it will reduce the temperature every night by 2 Celsius degrees, and will automatically raise it back to normal just before I get up.
As for the light bulbs, they were replaced by LED several years ago. However, I still have incandescent bulbs in the bathroom. They replaced crappy Chinese candelabra based. LEDSs that didn't last long several years ago.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
And used electricity to monitor and send info to someplace and receiver uses electricity to inform you. :D
I won't deny such a possibility; if one is proficient enough, it's generally not too hard to block any internet access for a specific network device in the home network. Basically, it'd be down to assigning either a static IP address (or DHCP reservation with MAC address) and setting up a rule on the home router/firewall.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

The new thermostat is way more precise than the 35 year old analog junk supplied with the apartment. I'm sure I will definitely save some money on the heating bill portion. From now on, it will reduce the temperature every night by 2 Celsius degrees, and will automatically raise it back to normal just before I get up.
As for the light bulbs, they were replaced by LED several years ago. However, I still have incandescent bulbs in the bathroom. They replaced crappy Chinese candelabra based. LEDSs that didn't last long several years ago.
In that respect you can regulate time and temperature much more precisely over the old thermostat, yes you will save on heating.
In reality, I thought you were talking about the thermostats themselves saving instead of how well the new is able to control heat.

highfigh

highfigh

Ultimately, saving money on the front end by changing to energy-efficient devices is countered by the energy companies raising our rates, especially if it's a private utility like WE Energies. I hope yours isn't.

highfigh

highfigh

You just don't know as your heating needs change from day to day compared to your historical usage. Phone chargers are electronic instead of a small transformers of the past chargers. Only think on is that tiny led that is on. Perhaps 1/10Watt or less, 2.4W a day?
Now, your modem and router is on 24/7. Mine used about 30W/hr. each. But, lots depend on it being on 24/7.
Change all lighting to LED even if they were fluorescent.
What is your cost per KWh? Here, it's about 20 cents, with taxes and fees, so 30W is squat. This is much easier than it would be if Energy Star didn't exist- 1/2 Watt in standby gets their rating and if most devices meet that, off-time is cheap but the accumulated appliance/entertainment/pumps & motor use that really adds up.

Sense sells an energy monitor that's not cheap, but it allows checking each circuit at the breaker panel. Unfortunately, it's $300 and it would take a lot to offset that. I have a lower priced multimeter that has a current clamp- I'm going to see how well that works for lower current devices. Will post the results.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

What is your cost per KWh? Here, it's about 20 cents, with taxes and fees, so 30W is squat. This is much easier than it would be if Energy Star didn't exist- 1/2 Watt in standby gets their rating and if most devices meet that, off-time is cheap but the accumulated appliance/entertainment/pumps & motor use that really adds up.

Sense sells an energy monitor that's not cheap, but it allows checking each circuit at the breaker panel. Unfortunately, it's $300 and it would take a lot to offset that. I have a lower priced multimeter that has a current clamp- I'm going to see how well that works for lower current devices. Will post the results.
Not sure as I have soar and batteries. Pay minimum fee to use grid. About $12/mo.
Sure, 30 Watts each, modem, router, 60W. Overnight use is zero, sleeping, about 8 hrs. now we have 480W a day and in a year is 1.752mWh. We used about 4.7 mWh in 23, no air, super insulation, etc. ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Ultimately, saving money on the front end by changing to energy-efficient devices is countered by the energy companies raising our rates, especially if it's a private utility like WE Energies. I hope yours isn't.
Yep, same goes for profit water companies, rates go up and want to collect back fees when they are not quick enough to realize the reduction. My locality is in the process of eminent domain purchase. A little more for power and gas companies

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis