Where does my money go when i buy a high end speaker

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
DIY would be great if more people had access to a good test facility with better than average mics, all needed software, the skills to use everything and the knowledge to interpret everything correctly. Then, there's the budget to experiment with different drivers, crossovers, cabinets, etc.

Skill & knowledge cut the design to test sequence to a more manageable amount of time, but there's also the listening test phase- has the room been completed?

Look at the speaker company- if they have a lot of employees, that's one of the reasons their speakers are expensive. If they only have a few, it's possible that the price will be lower if they really care about the end product and try to avoid being known for the high price but some want to be known for the high price, regardless of whether they actually sound better or will work with a wider range of equipment.

To Wilson- there's no prize for making speakers that can't be driven by a wide range of amplifiers. That's very similar to trying to win a contest for tightening an oil filter so most people can't remove it.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I agree with you that DIY is the way to go but work is so intense I just don't have the time to do that realistically I'm thinking until I retire
I don't have the time but more than that I probably don't have the skill. So better for me to pay to outsource the work (or they would be shitty speakers)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I spend enough time in this hobby listening, tweaking , and enjoying my speakers / home theater set up. I have the skills and means to diy, hell I program and run a CNC mill and could easily make baffles etc out of aluminum for near zero cost from leftover materials at work. But I value my time more , I'll happily pay a premium and use the time for other Hobby's like Astronomy , hiking, swimming, the gym. I can understand why many don't go the diy route . Plus I'm not sure i could make speakers that outperform the diamond 9.5 /9.1 set I got for $200! The used market is always worth your time.
Greetings!

Did you know that YG Acoustics were building all their cabinets with aluminum sheets?

I heard one of their flagship models several years ago at an A/V show in Montreal. I was really impressed with their performance. Here is their link:

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
That's really overkill and out of most peoples' budget.
Most people don't buy hi-end The first pair of M9's went to a buyer in Singapore. And for the record you can get TWO Porsche 911's super sports, for the price of a M9

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis