Where Did ONKYO Go?

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Meanwhile, my TX-NR809 soldiers on in my bedroom system; never a problem with it.:cool: Powerhouse AVR!

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
UPDATE! [Maybe some good news]. Less than a month ago, I got word that ONKYO did not disappear and is now being distributed by the Klipsch Group. Klipsch is also part of a group called 11 Trading Company, LLC of Indianapolis Indiana. (I heard a story that KLIPSCH started 11 Trading, but I don't know that for sure). I also noticed that Crutchfield and BestBuy has some ONKYO gear again. I am optimistically hoping this word of ONKYO returning is valid.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
UPDATE! [Maybe some good news]. Less than a month ago, I got word that ONKYO did not disappear and is now being distributed by the Klipsch Group. Klipsch is also part of a group called 11 Trading Company, LLC of Indianapolis Indiana. (I heard a story that KLIPSCH started 11 Trading, but I don't know that for sure). I also noticed that Crutchfield and BestBuy has some ONKYO gear again. I am optimistically hoping this word of ONKYO returning is valid.
Did you get your info from post #4 in this very thread? o_O

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Did you get your info from post #4 in this very thread? o_O
No. In fact, I didn’t even see that post.The very first report that I saw was very recent from home theater review. And, I inquired with Crutchfield as to what the real deal was.That dealer told me the same thing.

Z

zrxmike

Enthusiast
Onkyo is no loss. They never recovered from the reputation they created by selling receivers with known major issues then lying about it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Onkyo is no loss. They never recovered from the reputation they created by selling receivers with known major issues then lying about it.
I do wonder just how big a dent that made in sales. At least they did step up at one point with repairs (and I also wonder how much that cost).

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yikes, if somebody wants an Onkyo, they can still get a TX-NR696, though the rest are MIA. It's a comparable AVR to the new Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700. Yes, the Onkyo is 2019 model with no HDMI 2.1 features and the Yamaha is a 2020 model with HDMI 2.1 features... that have yet to be activated! Turning them on may only result in issues the likes of Denon/Marantz right now. i'll have to wait forthe next firmware update.

I was surprised at how much I liked the TX-NR777 after years with Denon models and wanted to upgrade to the TX-NR797. I waited too long and they can only be found open box right now. I went with a Yamaha TSR-700, a dog that got returned to Costco after a bug fix update did not kill the bugs. I then bought a TX-NR696. Shortly thereafter, Yamaha sent me an RX-V6A that functioned well after the bug fix update. It's still handicapped in the feature department. I unhooked it and am enjoying my TX-NR696.

I'll give the Yamaha another go when they turn more features on. My Onkyos run cooler than any Denon I've ever had and the GUI isn't dated, glitchy and ugly like the Yamahas. If Onkyo goes the way of Denon/Marantz with their HEOS app or the way of Yamaha with their MusicCast app with a f#%kin' Sonos app, I'll be done with them as well. In the meantime, I'm perfectly happy with my 2019 Onkyo and am glad the 2020 Yamahas didn't cost me anything at the end of the day. Credit goes to Yamaha for stepping up with a free replacement model.

I thought about replacing everything this year with 2020 models to game in 4K/120. I am glad I decided to wait. I'm one of the guys who tried to cover all of the bases with a PS3 and an XBOX 360 with HD DVD drive back in the day. Everybody should have waited until the HDMI 2.1 spec was actually fully tested and finalized. I see there is actually an "Ultra Certified Cable" now on the HDMI site after so much hardware flaunted HDMI 2.1 abilities before it. Sony and Microsoft should have waited to put out new consoles until somebody came up with a better design than the mini fridge and hotel room safe they ended up shoving on us. Those things are too big and ugly as f#%k. What the hell was this thread about, again? Oh, that's right, "Where did ONKYO go?" Mine is in the living room. :p

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Once upon a time, Onkyo reigned supreme among AVR manufacturers. As was mentioned, reliability issues, specifically with HDMI board problems, really took a toll on the brand. With Audiovox's acquisition, I don't expect greatness in Onkyo's future. They will have to earn trust again to be a recommended brand. Given that the AVR market is shrinking, it probably isn't worth it for them to continue making mass-manufactured AVRs. Let Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, and Sony divide that pie. And I don't expect Sony will stay in that business for a whole lot longer either.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Once upon a time, Onkyo reigned supreme among AVR manufacturers. As was mentioned, reliability issues, specifically with HDMI board problems, really took a toll on the brand. With Audiovox's acquisition, I don't expect greatness in Onkyo's future. They will have to earn trust again to be a recommended brand. Given that the AVR market is shrinking, it probably isn't worth it for them to continue making mass-manufactured AVRs. Let Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, and Sony divide that pie. And I don't expect Sony will stay in that business for a whole lot longer either.
I thought Onkyo was still only transferring US distribution/old Onkyo USA to Audiovox/Klipsch?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I thought Onkyo was still only transferring US distribution/old Onkyo USA to Audiovox/Klipsch?
Voxx is sure to have a significant voice in product design and delivery, should there be any more future products from Onkyo.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Voxx is sure to have a significant voice in product design and delivery, should there be any more future products from Onkyo.
Yeah but perhaps Onkyo won't let them get as far as Gibson/Onkyo USA did....but Onkyo otherwise is shut down for now or ?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeah but perhaps Onkyo won't let them get as far as Gibson/Onkyo USA did....but Onkyo otherwise is shut down for now or ?
Onkyo can make any kind of product they want, but Voxx doesn't have to distribute it. That gives Voxx a pretty big say in what kind of products Onkyo will be making... if Onkyo continues to make AVRs. They have been pretty quiet lately except for news about this distribution change. It might just make more business sense to cut their losses and get out of the AVR market. Surely they have considered it. I don't know their status, but if it were me in charge at Onkyo, I would just pull the plug on manufacturing AVRs.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve definitely noticed hardly any Onkyo are for sale now , why are avr prices so much higher now then 5 -7years ago ?
Will they eventually quit making avrs ?

Much less entry level stuff too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis