Where Did ONKYO Go?

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I noticed that very recently many dealers have removed ONKYO from their lineups. I liked some of their products. Did ONKYO suddenly leave the scene? Please, serious replies only form those who know or have a heard something.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
M Code, may know, Maybe shoot a inbox message to him. I have seen Onkyo AVR's newer unit's seem to have gone up in price.
Also looks like they have a handle on there old HDMI issues.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
To be honest, there is only speculation I see online. But it should be fully recognized by now that all business, GLOBALLY, has been disrupted to some extent or another.
CoronaVirus/Covid-19 is not a joke (as a few too many think it is), and with large scale shutdowns of manufacturing operations, shipping (yes, really!), and even centralized administrative offices, it does not come as a complete surprise that at least one of the major audio companies would be having problems.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
They (Onkyo and Pioneer) were to be bought by Sound United last year (2019), but the deal fell through.

From what I read, they are currently having supply chain problems.

But they are not dead, as they just signed a deal with Klipsch for US distribution:

https://www.twice.com/retailing/distributors/klipsch-onkyo-corporation-expand-distribution-alliance-to-the-americas

https://audioxpress.com/news/voxx-international-establishes-expanded-distribution-alliance-between-klipsch-and-onkyo-corporation

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What retailers did Onkyo disappear from particularly?

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
What retailers did Onkyo disappear from particularly?
Crutchfield (as of Wednesday check) bhphoto (if I have that correct) and a few others. My nearest BestBuy only had 2 av receiver models. And, I havent seen ANY of their 2 channel equipment anywhere - nowhere to be seen. That is why I was worried.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
They (Onkyo and Pioneer) were to be bought by Sound United last year (2019), but the deal fell through.

From what I read, they are currently having supply chain problems.

But they are not dead, as they just signed a deal with Klipsch for US distribution:

https://www.twice.com/retailing/distributors/klipsch-onkyo-corporation-expand-distribution-alliance-to-the-americas

https://audioxpress.com/news/voxx-international-establishes-expanded-distribution-alliance-between-klipsch-and-onkyo-corporation
Wow! This is interesting. I knew that there were some financial and distribution issues before the CHINA VIRUS hit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Crutchfield (as of Wednesday check) bhphoto (if I have that correct) and a few others. My nearest BestBuy only had 2 av receiver models. And, I havent seen ANY of their 2 channel equipment anywhere - nowhere to be seen. That is why I was worried.
Interesting Crutchfield doesn't have Pioneer anymore as well, same for B&H (well each have the "other" Pioneer's gear still but not the home audio stuff). Maybe they're going to finally become Pionkyo? :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Sounds like a distribution deal issue. With them consolidating a lot of things it could just be that they aren't selling the old stock.

That's just speculation on my part.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Sounds like a distribution deal issue. With them consolidating a lot of things it could just be that they aren't selling the old stock.

That's just speculation on my part.
That is a good point. After seeing this, I’m under the impression that ONKYO is no longer a safe candidate. You buy one, they leave the market. And you end up with an “orphan“.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That is a good point. After seeing this, I’m under the impression that ONKYO is no longer a safe candidate. You buy one, they leave the market. And you end up with an “orphan“.
Yamaha and Denon/Marantz are better alternatives IMHO anyway. Onkyo is still good, but they took out some of the good features a while back.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Worth saying: My distributors can't get me either Yamaha or Denon product. It is not being shipped at the moment due to international parts shortage related to COVID.

Kind of like us running out of change in the USA, other industries are also being impacted by the lack of human beings actually showing up to the workplace which needs them.

Hopefully we will see these products back in stock shortly from all manufacturers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Worth saying: My distributors can't get me either Yamaha or Denon product.
What? Any Yamaha or Denon products?

I just got the Yamaha RX-A2080, Yamaha A-S2200 and Denon X8500.

I have not heard anything about delays/backorder status. Hope not! :eek:

But my distributors do NOT have any Onkyo or Integra in stock, not that anyone is asking me about them. :D

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

I just got the Yamaha RX-A2080, Yamaha A-S2200 and Denon X8500 for clients.

I have not heard anything about delays/backorder status.

But my distributors do NOT have any Onkyo or Integra in stock, not that anyone is asking me about them. :D
Which distributors do you use? PM if you don't want it to be made public. None of mine have Yamaha in stock, although it's coming in by bits & pieces.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord

I just got the Yamaha RX-A2080, Yamaha A-S2200 and Denon X8500.

I have not heard anything about delays/backorder status. Hope not! :eek:

Likewise, please PM me your distributor, or please post. I'm frustrated that I can't get either, and I would prefer Yamaha.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
NEWS FLASH! - for me at least. Maybe some of you have seen it already. I just came across another "investigation" about ONKYO. Go to strata-gee.com (if I have this web address right) and look at their investigation. It doesn't sound good.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
NEWS FLASH! - for me at least. Maybe some of you have seen it already. I just came across another "investigation" about ONKYO. Go to strata-gee.com (if I have this web address right) and look at their investigation. It doesn't sound good.
That's really sad news. Thanks for the information. Here is the full link (I believe) to what you were talking about...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis