When Woofers eat woofers

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
My dog ate my peanut butter and jelly sandwich today. He has never done that before so it surprised me a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
heard a ripping a noise I wasn’t familiar with...
Were you in the room reading, or in the kitchen, or what???
I understand that drizzling a light emulsification of Cayenne pepper on the woofer adds that little extra zing to your sound and acts as a pretty effective preservative to boot!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Please take into account that perhaps he was bothered by the sound.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Please take into account that perhaps he was bothered by the sound.
Agreed my dog once pissed on my PB 4000 he hates those subs at least I learned that that metal grill really does protect those subs!!! Not a drop on it

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
One of my daughter's evil cats poked holes in one of my Triad Gold Monitor woofers. Those things are wicked expensive. So, to prevent that from happening again, I had Triad custom build magnetic metal grills for all three of my Gold Monitors.

My cats are much better behaved that my daughter's cats, but I'm covered now, just in case.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
[url=https://imgur.com/TQqy980][/URL]

[url=https://imgur.com/jOCcHtF][/URL]

[url=https://imgur.com/aOFtSbz][/URL]

He is cute, so I guess I can't be too mad....

But I think I'll wait to see that there are no surprises when the HVAC gets serviced next week....

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/scanspeak-22w/8851t-00-8-revelator-woofer/
Alex,

Sorry to hear about your woofer. See above: I've been through a similar situation. Same woofer model too. BTW I think the Revelator tweeters are just as expensive.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
He's been curious about the sound since he came home last year, but I've always reiterated that putting his 'snoot' in the speaker cone was bad, and he seemed to respect that.

We were on a Skype call when I heard the ripping, nothing was being played. I think he was jealous, but also, this poor guy has been teething for over a year now. I don't believe in physical punishment, so my extreme disapproval of his actions seemed pretty effective. He was desperately trying to gain my approval the rest of the night. He's gone back only once to check on his damage and I immediately run him off telling him that is bad.

Hopefully this will be the last time, but also reiterates my desire to continue my DIY building so I can get every speaker wall mounted.

I do still swear by ScanSpeak drivers. I used them in my DIY center with great success. My goal is to achieve Revel Salon2 performance in my designs at about 1/5 the cost. I just hope any future driver destruction is a result of my mistake!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I understand that drizzling a light emulsification of Cayenne pepper on the woofer adds that little extra zing to your sound and acts as a pretty effective preservative to boot!
Actually... *puts on Smarty McSmart hat* :p

Dogs do not have the receptors in their soft tissues that react the same way to capsaicin that humans do. They're immune to it. Using a hot sauce as a deterrent might work, but is probably due to the vinegar or something else and not the capsaicin.

We have pain receptors in our mouths that fit the capsaicin molecules like a puzzle piece in just the right way to trigger a signal to your brain telling it your mouth is on fire. Dogs don't have those receptors. Nobody knows why either. It appears to be just a coincidence that we react that way because there doesn't seem to be any evolutionary advantage for peppers to burn like that.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
As someone who raises bird dogs Springer Spaniels, Iam a upland Hunter . My dogs will often go in our garden and eat hot peppers right off the bush . They have different receptors in there make up as they can tolerate more heat as in water and outside temp one has to be careful about the later two .

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What's funny about this (to add to what @Pogre and @Mark E. Long said) is that my mom put Cayenne on all the things our old dog used to chew on. Made things 1000x worse. She LOVED it.

My Rottweiler loved spicy stuff too. He would beg us for pickled jalapeno out of the jar.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hopefully this will be the last time, but also reiterates my desire to continue my DIY building so I can get every speaker wall mounted.
Sebastian is a big puppy!
I don't see how wall-mounting would change anything unless you plan to put them at least 7 feet high!

He was probably getting a really nice massage for his aching/teething gums and couldn't help himself!
Maybe you should get one of these for him!
He'll destroy it in short order ($6) and you'll want to make sure he doesn't eat it (with the battery), but if he really likes it, you can get one of these with inexpensive replaceable tips to use on him!

... and who knows what kind of fun new play games you might come up with! :eek:

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Sebastian is a big puppy!
I don't see how wall-mounting would change anything unless you plan to put them at least 7 feet high!

He was probably getting a really nice massage for his aching/teething gums and couldn't help himself!
Maybe you should get one of these for him!
He'll destroy it in short order ($6) and you'll want to make sure he doesn't eat it (with the battery), but if he really likes it, you can get one of these with inexpensive replaceable tips to use on him!

... and who knows what kind of fun new play games you might come up with! :eek:
He's got plenty of things to chew on, I really don't know what made him decide to go after the woofer, unless it was knowing full well that would get my attention.

I figure having it more out of sight, higher up, would be a benefit. Especially as we continue rescuing more!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
He's got plenty of things to chew on, I really don't know what made him decide to go after the woofer, unless it was knowing full well that would get my attention.

I figure having it more out of sight, higher up, would be a benefit. Especially as we continue rescuing more!
You may have to walk him more spend more time with him outside my boy Franco when he pulls stunts like that usually it's when I've been busy at work and he wants some attention

He'll get my attention one way or the other hes good about that!

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
What's funny about this (to add to what @Pogre and @Mark E. Long said) is that my mom put Cayenne on all the things our old dog used to chew on. Made things 1000x worse. She LOVED it.

My Rottweiler loved spicy stuff too. He would beg us for pickled jalapeno out of the jar.
My springers all loved spicy stuff , we spend about 60 days in the field hunting and i can never take peepers in a sandwich or they'll try to get in the cooler for lunch lol . Weve raised Springer Spaniels for 30 years 8 of them they all loved hot stuff and they'll pick green tomatoes off the vine too .

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
You may have to walk him more spend more time with him outside my boy Franco when he pulls stunts like that usually it's when I've been busy at work and he wants some attention

He'll get my attention one way or the other hes good about that!
I have noticed he has a whole new energy set each day, so you may be right! I definitely think it was related to not paying attention to him while we were chatting.

Apparently Cane Corso take about 4 years to be fully mature, and he's not even 2 yet. Dude just doesn't stop growing so, yeah, there's always something new to learn!

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Oh man, i know the feeling. Wen I got my first dog as a single guy out on his own, I woke up to this weird grinding noise. Got up to investigate, flipped the hall light on. New dog stop chewing on a table and looked up at with an expression of "Hey dude, what's up?" Then promptly went back to chewing on the table. The speaker covers took some damage but not the woofers.

Cat tried to get to the spider plant on a speaker once. She had gotten addicted to the hallucinogenic effect and was going through withdrawals. Moved the plant to the speaker so she couldn't get to it. She tried, but the speaker cover came off scaring the crap out of her. I got that damn plant hung from the ceiling within an hour once I realized my speaker was in danger.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis