When will there be a true 4k UHD projector for under $3,500?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I have a BenQ 1080p projector now. When do you think there will be a true 4k UHD projector out there for under $3,500? Right now it seems Sony is the only one to have a true 4k projector thats in the $5,000 range.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You can get the Sony 285ES which is a native 4K projector for right around $3,500 right now.

The new JVC projectors are coming to market (finally) and are in the $5,000 range along with the Sony models.

I just went from the W1070 from BenQ to the JVC DLA590 which is a pixel shifter 4K model, but is absolutely gorgeous. I got it for $1700. Reality remains that true 4K is really owned by the LCoS projectors (Sony/JVC), and until it sees some serious competition, it will remain priced a fair bit higher. Still, with Sony and JVC competing, we will maybe see prices drop in the next couple of years.

In reviews, I'm not sure how much better the Sony 285ES is over the JVC 440/590 model that I just picked up.

Likewise, we will start seeing comparative reviews of the newest Sony and the new JVC models.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Do you see all the detail at that distance?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Do you see all the detail at that distance?
You've probably seen my responses over at AVS as well.

To be completely honest I just installed the JVC a couple of weeks ago and I haven't played seriously with 4K yet. I have a Oppo UHD-BD player that I'm going to have to lean on Best Buy about getting to me. But, I think I may pick up another Roku player in the meantime.

I will have a better answer for you then, but I'm sitting at the limit between where 1080p has hit maximum resolution capacity and where 4K starts becoming beneficial. What I'm really looking forward to is the color boost which UHD is supposed to be able to deliver.

I will try to follow up when I am able to do some serious testing.

To the discussion (on both forums), I have emphasized the JVC 590/440 model to you and in the $3K+ forum there, you will find so many VERY happy owners and a lengthy thread on it. But, the goal is often getting the price right. As I said above, I landed one, brand new, sealed in the box, for well under $2,000. I think if you are shooting for a top budget of $2K, then spending a bit of time finding a JVC will net you the best results for a 7+ year projector.

Let me see if I can do some testing this weekend and give you a better answer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
JVC is releasing the first 8K e-shift Projector for $18K. So hold on to your hats. :D

In a few years we’ll probably be seeing a bunch of affordable 8K e-shift and 8K enhanced projectors.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a BenQ 1080p projector now. When do you think there will be a true 4k UHD projector out there for under $3,500? Right now it seems Sony is the only one to have a true 4k projector thats in the $5,000 range.
BTW, I currently also have a BenQ 1080p (W6000). :D

Are you any closer to making your decision?

Sony 295ES Native-4K vs JVC 790R eShift-4K vs JVC NX5 Native-4K can be a tough decision.

The $5K Sony 295ES is the least expensive Native-4K. But it seems most reviews pick the $4K JVC 790R over the 295ES.

I haven’t seen any real reviews on the $6K JVC NX5 Native-4K.

Another thing to consider is the lamp lumens and price.

The 295ES is 1500 lumens and about $300. The JVC 790R is 1900 lumens and about $400. The JVC NX5 is 1800 lumens and about $700 dollars. :eek:

I am wondering about reliability.

@M Code, @BMXTRIX, do you know of any data that show which brand has better reliability?

Last edited:
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I really want to go with a laser PJ since they last 20,000 hours. I realize they are more expensive but those bulbs are way too pricey for me!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I really want to go with a laser PJ since they last 20,000 hours. I realize they are more expensive but those bulbs are way too pricey for me!
I've never heard anyone replacing the Laser Light Assembly in these laser projectors before. It seems very expensive and difficult.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
BTW, based on the title of this thread "TRUE 4K", I assume you don't want any of these FAUX-K? Get it? Haha. :D

So your "affordable" options are the Sony 295ES Native-4K or the JVC NX5 Native-4K.

I'm trying to see if @M Code or @BMXTRIX has any data on projector reliability, but I've heard that JVC projectors aren't as reliable as Sony. Could just be a rumor.

Another thing which @Phase 2 mentioned, with 8K TV and Projectors already released, are you afraid that your 4K PJ will be outdated in 3 or 4 years? :D

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I certainly haven't heard any real, meaningful data when it comes to reliability of Sony vs. JVC. About the only thing that is truly discussed is LCoS degradation, which is very questionably a thing. Some say that have seen it, or even measured it, others have conflicting reports. Since so few seem to complain, I'm guessing that failure sits with typical of electronics (under 2% from what I recall). So, if it is good out of the box, you likely are set for years to come.

Laser is a good choice, but right now it adds a healthy premium to the price. It adds the most notable advantage of consistent light output over the long haul. So, if it is bright on day one, it will be bright for years to come. But, when it fails, it is catastrophic. That is, the cost to replace the light engine will be well more than the value of the projector. They don't make laser light engines to be replaced. So, a real shame if it fails ahead of 20,000 hours. But, out of warranty means out of luck.

Lamps are really no different though. They have short warranties and if the ballast fails, or some other component critical to the operation of the lamp and cooling system, then you are out of luck.

My preference is probably for laser, but it will be a number of years I expect before we see them on mid-line Sony and JVC models. While JVC isn't even in this game from what I can tell, Sony is, but they are doing it at ... what? $25,000? I think we are off by a solid $20,000 from where things really should be.

And will be.

The name of the game with technology is just sitting around long enough and you will be able to afford it.

But, for the ten years between now and then, it may be necessary to just buy what is good enough and within your budget. I would take either a Sony or a JVC in a second without much in the way of concern over reliability.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I meant the bulbs for the Sony and JVC models are too expensive. I would upgrade to a different projector before the laser projector hit 20,000 hours. Sorry for the mixup. I know some bulbs are over $500 for the Sony and JVC. And AcuDefTechGuy.... I will never purchase an 8k projector if i can barely notice the 4k difference at my 15ft distance from the 135" screen. 8k would mean i have to be probably 9 or 10 feet away so thats a big problem. Not gonna happen in my home theater if i cant tell the difference.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I meant the bulbs for the Sony and JVC models are too expensive. I would upgrade to a different projector before the laser projector hit 20,000 hours. Sorry for the mixup. I know some bulbs are over $500 for the Sony and JVC. And AcuDefTechGuy.... I will never purchase an 8k projector if i can barely notice the 4k difference at my 15ft distance from the 135" screen. 8k would mean i have to be probably 9 or 10 feet away so thats a big problem. Not gonna happen in my home theater if i cant tell the difference.
Initially the PJ lamp prices are high, but I think the cost will go down by the time you actually need a replacement in 3 or 4 years.

No argument by anyone that Native 4K Laser PJ is the way to go if cost no object. But if we’re talking about $5-6K 4K PJ, Laser isn’t happening.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I need more cash before i can buy a projector but not sure which way i will go.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I need more cash before i can buy a projector but not sure which way i will go.
If I wanted a projector and had the 'home' for it to go into already, then I would likely get rolling with an entry level setup to kick things off unless I was going to have my money together within a few months.

A 1080p projector rolls in at $500 or so for new models that work well (basic placement). Used can be had for about $300 now. People have upgraded over the years, so projectors like my perfectly working w1070 I have to get rid of because I just got my new JVC 590. So, there are some real deals and specials which can be found to get your foot in the door if you just want to try it all out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis