When the wife's away the music will play!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Dropped the wife off at the airport this morning. Got my music bumping, getting prepped for a friend to come over to listen to some music and drink some bourbon! Gonna be a good night.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
A dry run for the day when those Song3s arrive. That's a lot of bourbon you got in the photo… make that a wet run.

I like your choice of fiddleback maple veneer with smoky silver dye & black burst edges.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
A dry run for the day when those Song3s arrive. That's a lot of bourbon you got in the photo… make that a wet run.

I like your choice of fiddleback maple veneer with smoky silver dye & black burst edges.
Yeah....about the veneer... I'm strongly considering just doing quilted at this point because the fiddleback was way more expensive than I expected it to be and put it within spitting distance of quilted.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Dropped the wife off at the airport this morning. Got my music bumping, getting prepped for a friend to come over to listen to some music and drink some bourbon! Gonna be a good night.

That Staind Blu-ray is excellent. I’m going to put it on too. :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
That Staind Blu-ray is excellent. I’m going to put it on too. :)
I've heard it is, just came the other day, haven't listened to it yet. I actually haven't listened to any of these yet except for the NIN one, and it's a fantastic mix. I have the CD albums of Nirvana and Alice in Chains unplugged which are both fantastic.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I've heard it is, just came the other day, haven't listened to it yet. I actually haven't listened to any of these yet except for the NIN one, and it's a fantastic mix. I have the CD albums of Nirvana and Alice in Chains unplugged which are both fantastic.
Another one I like a lot is AC DC Live in Donington. Recorded at a show in 1991 and on Blu-ray.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

Looks like FUN!!!

I'm a Tequila man nowadays, but I've partaken Knob Creek small batch a number of times...good stuff!

Pace yourself :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Looks like FUN!!!

I'm a Tequila man nowadays, but I've partaken Knob Creek small batch a number of times...good stuff!

Pace yourself :)
Ah, we won't be drinking it all! lol

I do love me some tequila too and I make a mean margarita. I usually use Milagro silver for my margaritas, but they also have a really good one for sipping, their select reserve anejo.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
When I'm away my wife puts on country music and cranks it up, lol. I don't complain, I'm just happy she gets some enjoyment from it too since the growing process started out a bit painfully for her. She's really come around tho. She loves the whole system and even watched gene's review of our amp with me! o_O

That said, it's been a while since I had the house to myself, some bourbon and a buddy over. That sounds like a good time man. This is where your money, time and effort pay off and fond memories are made.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's one hell of a lineup for program material too! Nice! I just got that Staind blu ray and it sounds amazing.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
When I'm away my wife puts on country music and cranks it up, lol. I don't complain, I'm just happy she gets some enjoyment from it too since the growing process started out a bit painfully for her. She's really come around tho. She loves the whole system and even watched gene's review of our amp with me! o_O

That said, it's been a while since I had the house to myself, some bourbon and a buddy over. That sounds like a good time man. This is where your money, time and effort pay off and fond memories are made.
I made her her own playlist in Plex where I put all her CD's that I've ripped. She'll stream it sometimes on a bluetooth speaker while she's taking a bath. I always tell her to just play it on the real system and leave the door open! It would still sound better from around the corner than the bluetooth speaker. LOL

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I made her her own playlist in Plex where I put all her CD's that I've ripped. She'll stream it sometimes on a bluetooth speaker while she's taking a bath. I always tell her to just play it on the real system and leave the door open! It would still sound better from around the corner than the bluetooth speaker. LOL
If I'm out and she gets home I get a call and she'll have me walk her through turning it on and choosing the right inputs (she can never seem to remember) so she can listen. She even learned how to use foobar on my tablet!

Yes, I'm bragging. I feel pretty fortunate in that regard. It's nice that she appreciates it too.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If I'm out and she gets home I get a call and she'll have me walk her through turning it on and choosing the right inputs (she can never seem to remember) so she can listen. She even learned how to use foobar on my tablet!

Yes, I'm bragging. I feel pretty fortunate in that regard. It's nice that she appreciates it too.
My wife has mostly figured it all out by now. Every once in a while I'll get a text that she can't get something working, but she's become proficient in finding what she wants in Plex.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah....about the veneer... I'm strongly considering just doing quilted at this point because the fiddleback was way more expensive than I expected it to be and put it within spitting distance of quilted.
I know what it's like trying to imagine what it will look like. It can get you chasing your tail.

One thing to consider, based on my experience with Jim Salk's finishes. The standard curly maple he uses will be much better looking than you might guess from photos, and unlike quilted or fiddleback, it's a standard no-extra-cost veneer. Large sheets of quilted or fiddleback veneer will cost lots more. With that smokey silver dye, it might not matter what the pattern in the maple is. Curly, quilted, or fiddleback patterns will all jump out at your eye about the same. It's the chatoyance of the veneer's pattern that matters most. Those 3-dimensional patterns or waves should move as you move your eyes over the wood surface. Jim aims for that in his finishes.

Mix an Old Fashioned for me – and have it for yourself :).

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I know what it's like trying to imagine what it will look like. It can get you chasing your tail.

One thing to consider, based on my experience with Jim Salk's finishes. The standard curly maple he uses will be much better looking than you might guess from photos, and unlike quilted or fiddleback, it's a standard no-extra-cost veneer. Large sheets of quilted or fiddleback veneer will cost lots more. With that smokey silver dye, it might not matter what the pattern in the maple is. Curly, quilted, or fiddleback patterns will all jump out at your eye about the same. It's the chatoyance of the veneer's pattern that matters most. Those 3-dimensional patterns or waves should move as you move your eyes over the wood surface. Jim aims for that in his finishes.

Mix an Old Fashioned for me – and have it for yourself :).
Yeah, I kinda fell in love with the silver dyed quilted veneers I've seen in Jim's gallery. Will the standard curly maple have some chattoyance to it as well?

I make a cheater old fashioned using just the Knob creek smoked maple bourbon and a few dashes of bitters. It's sweet enough that you don't need any simple syrup and it's still delicious!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I kinda fell in love with the silver dyed quilted veneers I've seen in Jim's gallery. Will the standard curly maple have some chattoyance to it as well?
Yes, they can, but expect some variation. Photographing chatoyance can be difficult. It usually looks different and better in person with daylight. In flash photographs, it can look flat or have less pop. And it can't move unless you're there in person.

If the chatoyance is really what you want, more than the quilted pattern itself, tell Jim. You'll have to decide for yourself whether you want a quilted pattern, or a less costly more random curly pattern. Use the word chatoyance, he'll know what you mean. He can look among his curly maple veneer sheets for those that will pop the most after finishing. His sense of what looks good in wood veneer grains & patterns is, in my opinion, quite good. He & his crew work hard at that. The elaborate lacquer finishing process he uses help to display the chatoyance better than other easier to apply finishes.

In 2016, I wanted cherry but asked what else he could get, he told me about some ropy cherry he had. When it was done, he mentioned it came out really well and he thought I'd like it. He was right. I had looked online at various examples of ropy cherry, but I was really surprised when I saw those speakers for the first time.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Very nice choices in Bourbon. If you like to try some new items. I would highly recommend the following:
Elijah Craig Barrel Strength
Evan Williams 12 year
Michter’s most are good
Woodford Double Oaked

I live Louisville and we do some bourbon drinking in town. A couple of recommendations! Enjoy you music and bourbon night!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Very nice choices in Bourbon. If you like to try some new items. I would highly recommend the following:
Elijah Craig Barrel Strength
Evan Williams 12 year
Michter’s most are good
Woodford Double Oaked

I live Louisville and we do some bourbon drinking in town. A couple of recommendations! Enjoy you music and bourbon night!!
Thanks, I've tried them all but the Michter's. Solid choices all. I really enjoy the Woodford double oaked, it's super smooth. Jefferson's Ocean is another fav, and so is Eagle Rare 10 year, but that is hard to find out here. I grab a bottle or two whenever I happen to see it!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If the chatoyance is really what you want, more than the quilted pattern itself, tell Jim. You'll have to decide for yourself whether you want a quilted pattern, or a less costly more random curly pattern. Use the word chatoyance, he'll know what you mean. He can look among his curly maple veneer sheets for those that will pop the most after finishing. His sense of what looks good in wood veneer grains & patterns is, in my opinion, quite good. He & his crew work hard at that. The elaborate lacquer finishing process he uses help to display the chatoyance better than other easier to apply finishes.
Well, from what I've seen, I like the pattern of curly when it has lots of parallel lines in it. If there aren't as many lines in it I don't like it so much. I think the pattern of quilted as well as the chattoyance in it is stunning.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Sounds like your in the right lane. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis