When is it time to replace your AVR.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bump it up from the sub plate or Avr level?
I was referring to adjusting the gain on the sub to affect the resulting trim level....if you want a lower number raise the gain on the sub, if you want a higher number, lower it...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was gonna say.... :)
Lol. I am definitely guilty of occasionally clicking away without reading all the words I’m responding to. Lmao! On the other hand, I will also pore over a post as to make sure I get all the details. Probably depends on my current level of coffee...or alcohol.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I do wonder why so many "audiophiles" tend to put so much importance on the position of the volume knob, tho (or a number it might point to) on gear that isn't calibrated.
Because they were used to knobs based on linear instead of log/dB scale, so all else being equal, things could get really loud at 10 O'Clock, i.e., a little over 1/4 of full, giving them the false impression that those amps were more powerful than their they really were.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Because they were used to knobs based on linear instead of log/dB scale, so all else being equal, things could get really loud at 10 O'Clock, i.e., a little over 1/4 of full, giving them the false impression that those amps were more powerful than their they really were.
I remember when I installed stereos in the late 60's. Sherwood units would really only start to pump out the noise when it was around 12:00 or so, and this was with JBL speakers. Other units would be about the same loudness around 9:00 or 10:00.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I had/have some gear like that as well but I never compared the position of the knob to other units as meaningful, even before hearing about a log/dB scale :) Just never occurred to me I suppose having used so many different volume knobs on various gear.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis