When is it time to replace your AVR.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
My Denon x3400 isn’t that old but Driving 7ch I feel it’s being over worked. I’m always looking towards the next upgrade. I try to just enjoy but I get that upgrade bug.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
I was thinking about adding an amp for the front two. But you are right I’ve got short hands and deep pockets lol.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Lots of hobbiest add amps, like 200 x 3 to drive the LCR, and let the AVR drive the surrounds.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My Denon x3400 isn’t that old but Driving 7ch I feel it’s being over worked. I’m always looking towards the next upgrade. I try to just enjoy but I get that upgrade bug.
If you just feel it is being over worked, then for peace of mind, you can get a cooling device for $15, a very effective upgrade.:D
https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-MULTIFAN-Receiver-Playstation/dp/B00IJ2J2K0/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2G3HH7JVQ7QO7&keywords=ac+infinity+cooling+fan&qid=1555613881&s=gateway&sprefix=ac+infinity+cooling+fan,aps,166&sr=8-7

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was thinking about adding an amp for the front two. But you are right I’ve got short hands and deep pockets lol.
What are the speaker channel level (trim) settings on your Denon?

Some people feel that their Denon don't have enough power because they have to increase the Master Volume level to -10, -5, 0, etc.

If that bothers them so much, all they have to do is increase the trim levels. For example, increase the trim on the speakers to +6.0 or +9.0.

Oh, yeah, definitely add the Fans because these AVR get really hot.

Last edited:
Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
These are the measurements
Man that AC thing sure trimmed all your speakers back uhu.. no wonder you gotta crank it up.

Last edited:
G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Should I bump them all up 1db. The subwoofer is 13.1 ft at -5.5db

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
I thought about that too. They have a component one that sits on top and exhausts from the front. I forget who makes it.

K

Kasperlab

Audiophyte
What are the speaker channel level (trim) settings on your Denon?

Some people feel that their Denon don't have enough power because they have to increase the Master Volume level to -10, -5, 0, etc.

If that bothers them so much, all they have to do is increase the trim levels. For example, increase the trim on the speakers to +6.0 or +9.0.
Great point - I forgot abnout trims when trying to boost volume.
thanks!

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Is it important to
Lots of hobbiest add amps, like 200 x 3 to drive the LCR, and let the AVR drive the surrounds.
Is it very important to do a 3ch amp for the LCR. Or will a 2ch amp just for the L and R be fine.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I would bump them all 3db. Leave the subs as us until you listen again. If needed then bump them to taste.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
These are the measurements
So they're all "Minus" something? No wonder you have to turn up the volume knob.

Like I said, if having to turn up the master volume bothers you and makes you feel like there's not enough juice (like it bothers many people), just manually turn up all those trim levels.

Increase each speaker by 5.5dB and call us in the morning. Haha. :D

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Is it important to

Is it very important to do a 3ch amp for the LCR. Or will a 2ch amp just for the L and R be fine.
Yeah, two channel amp will work fine..or a couple of monoblocks, but you'll only gain about 3bs with a 200 x 2. And you'll probably only notice it at higher volume levels. I had a 500 X 2 amp was way over kill the only time I noticed a difference was past reference level. Meaning at 0+ or more but my ears would ring. So I sold it..

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it important to

What is your volume position when you feel it is loud enough for you? Bumping the trims up only change the visual look, if you bump them up by 3 dB, then you can/will turn the volume down by an equal amount for the sound pressure level.

Your question on 2 vs 3 channel amp cannot be answered in a meaningful way without knowing the speaker's specs, your seating distance and your desired spl (sound pressure level). Cinema loud is about 85 dB average.

Here's a calculator you can play with:

https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good grief raising the trims won't provide any additional power, just a placebo on the volume dial. Where on the volume dial do you usually listen to movies now? Music? Cooling would be one thing to think about....or an external amp if you really think more juice is the answer.

ps What speakers?

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
So they're all "Minus" something? No wonder you have to turn up the volume knob.

Like I said, if having to turn up the master volume bothers you and makes you feel like there's not enough juice (like it bothers many people), just manually turn up all those trim levels.

Increase each speaker by 5.5dB and call us in the morning. Haha. :D
Thanks Doc

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Good grief raising the trims won't provide any additional power, just a placebo on the volume dial. Where on the volume dial do you usually listen to movies now? Music? Cooling would be one thing to think about....or an external amp if you really think more juice is the answer.

ps What speakers?
My volume is set to 0-98 so my wife understands it better.
Movies 65
Music I do 75 even 80

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
monitor audio bronze 6 bronze2 bronze 1 bronze center

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis