WHEN DO YOU BELIEVE, HAVE YOU HEARD, ABOUT 4K AND ATMOS FOR: TWISTER, TOWERING INFERNO....?

• Thread starter WELLENDOWEDPAUL
  • Start date
W

WELLENDOWEDPAUL

Audiophyte
HELLO GENTLEMEN. LOVE YOUR WEBSITE AND VIDEOS.
QUESTION:

HAVE YOU HEARD IF THERE IS GOING TO BE A 4K WITH ATMOS OF "TWISTER" AND "TOWERING INFERNO" AS WELL AS OTHER MOVIES -PARTICULARLY DISASTER MOVIES??

TO WHOM CAN WE CONTACT REGARDING THIS? I WOULD SURMISE WARNER BROTHERS (SINCE BOTH THOSE ARE WARNERS)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH; KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK.

-PAUL A.
wellendowedpaul@yahoo.com
6 MAY 2021 Thursday 4:07 PM EST

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt if these older movies shot on analog films will look any better on 4K anyway. The only movies I care to be released on 4K are the ones that were shot using 2K-8K digital cameras. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
HELLO GENTLEMEN. LOVE YOUR WEBSITE AND VIDEOS.
QUESTION:

HAVE YOU HEARD IF THERE IS GOING TO BE A 4K WITH ATMOS OF "TWISTER" AND "TOWERING INFERNO" AS WELL AS OTHER MOVIES -PARTICULARLY DISASTER MOVIES??

TO WHOM CAN WE CONTACT REGARDING THIS? I WOULD SURMISE WARNER BROTHERS (SINCE BOTH THOSE ARE WARNERS)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH; KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK.

-PAUL A.
wellendowedpaul@yahoo.com
6 MAY 2021 Thursday 4:07 PM EST
No news at this time. would love to see Twister get the 4k+Atmos treatment.

W

WELLENDOWEDPAUL

Audiophyte
It has been over 1 year (MAY 2021) since I wrote/texted/posted here on audioholics.com (re: asking if there will be 4k of TOWERING INFERNO and TWISTER).. I forgot! I just checked back only now. Been busy also. BUT thank you to everyone who answered and replied here to me. I sincerely want to say I AM SORRY for all CAPS! I was not yelling. LOL. Guess just had the CAP button on. Anyway, I KNOW in Europe, there is a 4K of TWISTER. Still hope for TOWERING INFERNO! Thanks, guys. Keep up the great work! This is PAUL, 4:19 AM EST, 7 September 2022 (Wednesday).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I see no listing for an official 4K version of Twister. There is a German release with Atmos and Auro3D audio, but no 4K.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep. I believe the company is called Turbine. They have been giving some older titles the Atmos treatment. From what I’ve seen, twister is absolutely stunning in Atmos. Almost tempted to order a copy. It’s a great film so why not?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Yep. I believe the company is called Turbine. They have been giving some older titles the Atmos treatment. From what I’ve seen, twister is absolutely stunning in Atmos. Almost tempted to order a copy. It’s a great film so why not?
I would hold off. Twister will get the 4k/Atmos treatment here in the US. It's a popular movie and WB owns the film.

I actually just watched it a month ago on blu ray and the original 5.1 is pretty darn good. I was able to pick it up for $10 at Best Buy.

W

WELLENDOWEDPAUL

Audiophyte
I see no listing for an official 4K version of Twister. There is a German release with Atmos and Auro3D audio, but no 4K.
Thank you very much! I have to admit: I DID buy the German bluray with Atmos last night after writing you. Thanks again. Just wish Warners in USA would produce 4k with Atmos of: TWISTER, AND, CAPRICORN ONE.

W

WELLENDOWEDPAUL

Audiophyte
I would hold off. Twister will get the 4k/Atmos treatment here in the US. It's a popular movie and WB owns the film.

I actually just watched it a month ago on blu ray and the original 5.1 is pretty darn good. I was able to pick it up for $10 at Best Buy.
THANK YOU very much! I DID write to Warners a year or so ago, mentioned couple movies should be in 4K: this (TWISTER) and also "TOWERING INFERNO". (Never heard back). NOW -just now- I thought about also another Warners movie: CAPRICORN ONE"! Dont understand how and why WARNER BROTHERS will put out so-so, even crap, movies, and Warners as well as some studios will keep rehashing movies again and again, all various issues, BUT YET, classics like these 3 movies, why they have NOT been done in ATMOS and in 4K yet?! Thanks again! OH! By the way, I DID buy the German issued bluray of "TWISTER) (1996) WHICH HAS THE ATMOS soundtrack as well as extras, I purchased that last night, even though bit pricey ($40 U.S. dollars). I also bought -on ebay- the blurays of: "CHINA SYNDROME" (special edition) and "MAROONED" (1969) (special edition), also pricey at $30. I love the classics; I grew up with these. Much better than many movies made today. -Paul A. 9 Sept 2022 - Fri.

W

WELLENDOWEDPAUL

Audiophyte
I cannot wait, so, I did buy that German release last night. And thank you very much for replying.

W

WELLENDOWEDPAUL

Audiophyte

I could not wait so I did purchase the German bluray with Atmos of TWISTER last night Thank you for replying..

W

WELLENDOWEDPAUL

Audiophyte

I have that version TWISTER with the 5.1 sound which I agree sounds good, but I LOVE ATMOS; perused reviews prior to purchasing the German bluray which consists of the ATMOS soundtrack. So I have now bought the German manufactured bluray with ATMOS of "Twister" last night online. Thanks again.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
THANK YOU very much! I DID write to Warners a year or so ago, mentioned couple movies should be in 4K: this (TWISTER) and also "TOWERING INFERNO". (Never heard back). NOW -just now- I thought about also another Warners movie: CAPRICORN ONE"! Dont understand how and why WARNER BROTHERS will put out so-so, even crap, movies, and Warners as well as some studios will keep rehashing movies again and again, all various issues, BUT YET, classics like these 3 movies, why they have NOT been done in ATMOS and in 4K yet?! Thanks again! OH! By the way, I DID buy the German issued bluray of "TWISTER) (1996) WHICH HAS THE ATMOS soundtrack as well as extras, I purchased that last night, even though bit pricey ($40 U.S. dollars). I also bought -on ebay- the blurays of: "CHINA SYNDROME" (special edition) and "MAROONED" (1969) (special edition), also pricey at $30. I love the classics; I grew up with these. Much better than many movies made today. -Paul A. 9 Sept 2022 - Fri.
One thing to note is that it depends on how the original film was mastered. Afaik, the stems have to be available to recreate the track in Atmos . Atmos is object based, not channel based and some of the old movies really can’t be converted. Really depends on what they have to work with.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This is the 4K version of Twister I will get once it is released because it will be shot using the 6.5K resolution Sony Venice IMAX digital camera. :D

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I've had Twister in Atmos and Auro-3D for like over a year now. You folks keep waiting for questionable 4K value on a grainy film while I keep enjoying watching it with some of the most immersive sound in the history of film!

Tip. If you have Auro-3D, it's the better of the two mixes as it uses the cinema levels for sound effects relative to dialog. Basically, this means unlike the sound bar friendly Atmos version, it kicks butt! There's an 8dB difference in levels of the tornado scenes between the two with matched dialog!

That's 80% louder sounding effects of the roof being torn off a barn and flung through your room over your head! It's terrifying at cinematic reference levels while the Atmos version is cuddly and safe tornadoes by comparison because to get the tornadoes that loud, you'd have to put up with characters essentially screaming in your ear during the quiet scenes (awful).

I'm not saying the Atmos version is bad. I'm saying the Auro-3D version is scary as hell by comparison and it has nothing to do with overhead effects in either (both fine for immersion, otherwise).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've had Twister in Atmos and Auro-3D for like over a year now.

(1) You folks keep waiting for questionable 4K value on a grainy film while I keep enjoying watching it with some of the most immersive sound in the history of film!

Tip. If you have Auro-3D, it's the better of the two mixes as it uses the cinema levels for sound effects relative to dialog. Basically, this means unlike the sound bar friendly Atmos version, it kicks butt!

(2) There's an 8dB difference in levels of the tornado scenes between the two with matched dialog!

That's 80% louder sounding effects of the roof being torn off a barn and flung through your room over your head! It's terrifying at cinematic reference levels while the Atmos version is cuddly and safe tornadoes by comparison because to get the tornadoes that loud, you'd have to put up with characters essentially screaming in your ear during the quiet scenes (awful).

I'm not saying the Atmos version is bad. I'm saying the Auro-3D version is scary as hell by comparison and it has nothing to do with overhead effects in either (both fine for immersion, otherwise).
1. I agree that 4K is a waste for older analog movies; 4K only makes sense for movies that are shot using 4K Digital Cameras IMO, not old analog grainy films that will still look old and grainy even if they transfer it to 24K. :D

2. Couldn’t we just increase the Ceiling speakers trim levels by 8dB? :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis