WHEN DO YOU BELIEVE, HAVE YOU HEARD, ABOUT 4K AND ATMOS FOR: TWISTER, TOWERING INFERNO....?

• Thread starter WELLENDOWEDPAUL
  • Start date
VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
@AcuDefTechGuy - You could increase the ceiling speakers, but the balance would be off with the other speakers. The tornadoes only really come strong overhead in a few scenes where it's right on top of the truck, etc. The Auro-3D version has strong tornadoes from every direction (like when it rips the roof off that barn). You just need to trade your Yamaha in for one of the new ones with Auro-3D support. ;)

Actually, Neural X does a reasonably fair job with most Auro stuff so you could still try the Auro version out that way if you got the set.

I'm in the process of adding 4 more PSB CS500 on-ceiling speakers (as an array in front of and behind my ceiling steal beam box) so it should sound like the box isn't there. These will be in line with my front/rear speakers in the true Atmos position instead of the side heights I'm currently using that sit under the box (Plus front/rear heights). I'll switch the side heights to surround height duty (copy of rears at -3dB) and in Auro-3D mode send a quad-mono Voice of God signal to the array instead of Top Middle. It'll be interesting. I got the speakers in. I just have to order some more speaker wire and banana connectors and get some molding to hide the wiring across the box. I already replaced my SS#2 bookshelf speakers with bipolar (aimed front rows/back rows) and I'll be moving that to discrete extraction soon.

That will put me at a 11.1.10 speaker layout with 15-channel discrete, 2 arrays and a summed front wide (I like the copied mains in stereo mode; the stereo image is huge).

Oh, how I keep thinking about getting a Trinnov Altitude-16 (which now does 20-channel discrete with any combination of Atmos speakers; you could have 10 overhead discrete if you wanted, for example with Heights + Tops + Top Middle all at the same time and still have 9 ear-level speakers and a sub output to a Mini-DSP for multiple subs. Here, I could put the 4 new speakers in the Tops positions instead and have Heights + Tops (at say 55 degrees instead of 45 for better phantom panning since Heights can go to 20 or even 15 degrees then) + 11 ear-level speakers for 19.1 discrete (and still copy the surround heights from rear heights using my Monoprice switch that already can do it). I haven't been on vacation since 2018 because of the Pandemic and some other issues, so I could pretty much afford to buy one with the savings from that alone. I just don't know if it's worth it. With a trade-in, I could buy that new Toyota GR Corolla 300HP AWD hot hatch coming out in November instead.... I get the feeling that would be a lot more fun than whatever difference there is in discrete rendering for a few more speakers....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@AcuDefTechGuy - You could increase the ceiling speakers, but the balance would be off with the other speakers. The tornadoes only really come strong overhead in a few scenes where it's right on top of the truck, etc. The Auro-3D version has strong tornadoes from every direction (like when it rips the roof off that barn). You just need to trade your Yamaha in for one of the new ones with Auro-3D support. ;)

Actually, Neural X does a reasonably fair job with most Auro stuff so you could still try the Auro version out that way if you got the set.

I'm in the process of adding 4 more PSB CS500 on-ceiling speakers (as an array in front of and behind my ceiling steal beam box) so it should sound like the box isn't there. These will be in line with my front/rear speakers in the true Atmos position instead of the side heights I'm currently using that sit under the box (Plus front/rear heights). I'll switch the side heights to surround height duty (copy of rears at -3dB) and in Auro-3D mode send a quad-mono Voice of God signal to the array instead of Top Middle. It'll be interesting. I got the speakers in. I just have to order some more speaker wire and banana connectors and get some molding to hide the wiring across the box. I already replaced my SS#2 bookshelf speakers with bipolar (aimed front rows/back rows) and I'll be moving that to discrete extraction soon.

That will put me at a 11.1.10 speaker layout with 15-channel discrete, 2 arrays and a summed front wide (I like the copied mains in stereo mode; the stereo image is huge).

Oh, how I keep thinking about getting a Trinnov Altitude-16 (which now does 20-channel discrete with any combination of Atmos speakers; you could have 10 overhead discrete if you wanted, for example with Heights + Tops + Top Middle all at the same time and still have 9 ear-level speakers and a sub output to a Mini-DSP for multiple subs. Here, I could put the 4 new speakers in the Tops positions instead and have Heights + Tops (at say 55 degrees instead of 45 for better phantom panning since Heights can go to 20 or even 15 degrees then) + 11 ear-level speakers for 19.1 discrete (and still copy the surround heights from rear heights using my Monoprice switch that already can do it). I haven't been on vacation since 2018 because of the Pandemic and some other issues, so I could pretty much afford to buy one with the savings from that alone. I just don't know if it's worth it. With a trade-in, I could buy that new Toyota GR Corolla 300HP AWD hot hatch coming out in November instead.... I get the feeling that would be a lot more fun than whatever difference there is in discrete rendering for a few more speakers....
This audio/HT hobby is fun and great, but it’s not worth a new car. :D

The new Yamaha’s now have Auro3D, but I am 100% happy with my current setup. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis