What's your Upgrade Philisophy?

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
:rolleyes:

A far more rational response than from someone who is prejudiced and biased in their notions and tend to base judgment from strictly personal notions.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Talking about yourself?

For someone who loves his brand at the exclusion of others and is blinded by the imperfections of that brand is precisely what you are describing.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
av_phile said:
Talking about yourself?

For someone who loves his brand at the exclusion of others and is blinded by the imperfections of that brand is precisely what you are describing.

This is from a guy to whom all Japanese brands are flawed, I dont love one brand, I own Marantz, SONY ES, Accuphase as well as Canton, MB Quart and Einstein.

As I said in my other post, I bow to your taste and by the way, why hobnob with a lowly person like myself, I am not even fit for your company as you are in the upper realms of audio society and I only stick to technicaly imperfect products from lowly Japan.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
I don't go by price or name to define an "upgrade".

Basically, if it enchances the reproduction in music, it's an upgrade.

5.1 channels enhances the reproduction of movie sounds, so that is an upgrade from 2.1...same can be said for going to 6.1 form an old 5.1 setup as well.

If that upgrade is going from a 100wpc pioneer reciever to a 8wpc fisher reciever...if it made your music any better, then it's an upgrade.

If you went from tiny "cube" speakers to some $60/pr KLH floorstanders...if it made your music/movies sound better....it's an upgrade.

Now, of course going from KLH to anyhting but Bose is safe to say is an upgrade (the current KLH, not the good old gear).

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
BTW...I'm not a mod...but I have a reccomendation....

How about the flames go to the rants section, so we can stay on topic, no? ;)

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,
If I say my plan is to NEVER upgrade, am I being naive?

Things may breakdown and be replaced but from my core components, I had hoped (assuming I'm going to continue using the same room as my Media center) not to change anything.

I have a Denon 5800/03 (I would continue with any essential upgrades, but should last a lifetime) that enables enough quality channels for my room to handle and Totem Model 1 Signature speakers for music, also with Axiom dipole QS4's and Monitor Audio Bronze as extra surrounds that can be used for film. Completing the audio side with an NHT Sub II

I don't mind using the 2 sets of 8 ch analogs the Denon has for separate mltidisc dvd-a and sacd players, (these may break down and are entry level players used strictly for audio and would be repaced by similar if needed).

I presently use an SDI modded Panny RP82 with a HOLO3D scaler for video but within a couple of years, self scaling dvd players will come with a box of corn flakes.

As an early adopter I hve a Toshiba 65H80 hd ready tv which hopefully can have the guns changed when needed. I would also have it re ISF'd as I believe this calibration tobe essential.
My cable company supplies the decoder and will soon be offerring a HD PVR for purchase or rent.

I'm sure lots of folks felt the same way as I do regarding "What could we possibly upgrade to" years ago but as I grow older I'm not sure my visual and auditory senses will be able to appreciate any more upgrades.

I tried to get the best stuff I could keeping the rest of life's priorities in mind, so unless it breakes, I ain't goin to fix it.

Peter m.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Upgrading

When I come across something that (I think) will improve the sound of my rig I will give it a try. I have been at this a long time and can rule out a lot of stuff immediately. Being a DIY'er and buyer of used equipment I can try a lot of things without breaking the budget. Of course, I am a batchelor and can do whatever I want. FYI my first piece of equipment was a Fisher KX90 kit amplifier purchased new in 1965. :cool:

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
My $0.02 on "upgrades"

(1) Going from a 100 watt amp to a 200 watt amp is an upgrade. Going from a 100 watt am to a 150 watt amp is not.

As others have pointed out, it ain't necessarily so.

(2) Going separates is always an upgrade.

Only if the quality of each of the separates exceeds that of the corresponding section of the integrated unit being replaced.

(3) Going from consumer brands to boutique brands is always an upgrade.

See #1

(4) Going from stereo to multi-channel is an upgrade.

If the quality of each channel stays the same. I don't think "upgrading" $1K worth of stereo to $1K worth of 5.1 is an upgrade.

(5) Going from 5.1 to 7.1 and up is an upgrade.

See #4

(6) Going for DPL to DPLIIx and other formats is an upgrade

Agreed on this one

(7) Going from HTIB to anywhere is an upgrade

With very few exceptions

(8) Going from B-O-S-E satellites to any other speakers is an upgrade

You'd have to try hard to go backwards

(9) Going from a hardware cables to exotic cables is an upgrade (???)

Not necessarily, as Audioholics has proven quite conclusively

(10) Going from Solid State to Tubes is an upgrade (???)

Personal taste

(11) Going from Digital to Analog is an upgrade (???)

Personal taste

(13) Improving your room acoustics

Yes

(14) Buying better recordings

Probably - but be very careful on this one. Some older recordings have been butchered in the process of making "remastered" versions. (Eagles' "Hotel California" reissue CD from the early or mid '90s is a good example of how not to do it.)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis