What's your Speaker Demo Track List?

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
If the play back head on the deck was out of alignment you could hear the other tracks playing between songs, faintly. Some times you could hear the other tracks backwards. Honestly, 8tracks were terrible. Cassettes were so much better, then CDs. What’s sad is that we still have to use CDs for lossless content. Discs have been around for over 30 years and still...lossless content is more or less boutique.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the play back head on the deck was out of alignment you could hear the other tracks playing between songs, faintly. Some times you could hear the other tracks backwards. Honestly, 8tracks were terrible. Cassettes were so much better, then CDs. What’s sad is that we still have to use CDs for lossless content. Discs have been around for over 30 years and still...lossless content is more or less boutique.
Agreed on the 8 tracks. What would you prefer your lossless content media to be if not cd?

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Agreed on the 8 tracks. What would you prefer your lossless content media to be if not cd?
Everything should be lossless. Especially through the mainline services like iTunes, Spotify. We shouldn’t have to pay extra to get the whole file. Most of the masses are indifferent and don’t care. CDs are fine, but I can buy four full albums of one of favorite bands, all contained on a stick, why should we buy a clunky disc?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Chuck Mangione - 'Children of Sanchez'

BeeGie Adair - 'Escape to New York'

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Everything should be lossless. Especially through the mainline services like iTunes, Spotify. We shouldn’t have to pay extra to get the whole file. Most of the masses are indifferent and don’t care. CDs are fine, but I can buy four full albums of one of favorite bands, all contained on a stick, why should we buy a clunky disc?
Well if we all had great internet service this might be ok, but I don't and will keep buying both audio and video discs for the forseeable future. You can buy four albums from a band on a usb thumb drive? Got an example?

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Well if we all had great internet service this might be ok, but I don't and will keep buying both audio and video discs for the forseeable future. You can buy four albums from a band on a usb thumb drive? Got an example?
Yes. A local “New-Grass” band called the Green Cards sold a stick of all their albums at the last show. To be honest I don’t know the resolution, but it sounds as good as CDs I had previously bought. Jaw dropping musicians to see them live.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Great internet service? What the hell is that?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes. A local “New-Grass” band called the Green Cards sold a stick of all their albums at the last show. To be honest I don’t know the resolution, but it sounds as good as CDs I had previously bought. Jaw dropping musicians to see them live.
LOL hadn't heard of "New-Grass". Wonder if other bands are offering such? Would think if you used your computer you could see the file properties well enough...

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
LOL hadn't heard of "New-Grass". Wonder if other bands are offering such? Would think if you used your computer you could see the file properties well enough...
Yes I’m sure I could just lazy. New-Grass is an adapted name to feature contemporary/modern blue grass obviously. Do yourself a favor, check this band out, and thank me later.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I’m sure I could just lazy. New-Grass is an adapted name to feature contemporary/modern blue grass obviously. Do yourself a favor, check this band out, and thank me later.
Already put 'em in the queue with spotify. We'll see if I'll be thanking you or not, tho...just started Sweetheart of the Sun.

...and now back to your regularly scheduled thread :)

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Already put 'em in the queue with spotify. We'll see if I'll be thanking you or not, tho...just started Sweetheart of the Sun.

...and now back to your regularly scheduled thread :)
PS: listen to their album “Fascination”. Most accessible.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I don't really have test selections. It had to do mainstream stuff well, and if it handled that, better recordings were just going to sound. . . .better. A lot of these folks we saw live so, basically we just kept the party going.

Johnny Winter - It's My Own Fault
Dire Straits - You and Your Friend
Tom Petty - Here Comes My Girl
Nazareth - Guilty
Steve Vai - Blue Powder
Joe Satriani - Always With Me, Always With You
that's a pretty good set list. very diverse musical voices there. Looks like another trip to the used CD store is in order this weekend.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I sure don't miss the 8-track but I was styling nonetheless....I had a tape deck in my first car instead of just radio (and where it and most of my tapes got stolen from). Some apparently are even resurrecting the lowly cassette, claiming it as having "charming" characteristics....https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/tell-me-about-nakamichi-dr-3-cassette-deck.109294/....altho I did have some killer cassette mix tapes once upon a time.
I still remember 1 paper speaker in the middle of the dash. A moneo system? :p

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
that's a pretty good set list. very diverse musical voices there. Looks like another trip to the used CD store is in order this weekend.
The Nazareth "Guilty" track was not offered on the U.S. version of that album. I always thought Dan McCafferty had a great R&R voice. Even in his later years he manages to pull it off.

jslivingston

jslivingston

Audiophyte
Pat Metheny Group - Full Circle

That's my go-to track, but I have a handful of albums I'll use as reference points. Nickel Creek's self-titled album is great, Owl City's Ocean Eyes is good. John Mayer's Battle Studies. Jon Anderson - Change We Must.

Of course, Steely Dan's Gaucho.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Pat Metheny Group - Full Circle

That's my go-to track, but I have a handful of albums I'll use as reference points. Nickel Creek's self-titled album is great, Owl City's Ocean Eyes is good. John Mayer's Battle Studies. Jon Anderson - Change We Must.

Of course, Steely Dan's Gaucho.
I have the Nickel Creek tunes on my list of tracks as well. Good stuff there.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
ah, the 8-track tape! now there's something the young whippersnappers today have no appreciation for.
some of us complain that technology has "moved on" and left cherished pieces of gear stranded.
I don't know anybody that misses the 8-track tape format. Maybe some of the tapes, but not the format.
My first car a 62 Pontiac Catalina, had a 8 track deck, plus a cassette deck. 4 speakers two in the front doors two 6x9 mindblowers in the rear dash a Craig power amp added 2x40 watts powering the front speakers. The Mindblowers had built-in power oh and a pair of headphones that I would hang from the rear view mirror. Man would pack that ole Pontiac with friends ride around all weekend passing reefers around like Cheech and Chong. Some of the best times of my life! Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Rush 2112, Pink Floyd and who can forget Alice Cooper. Hanging out at the city park on the weekends throwing frisbees with the trunk open music blasting away. Just about everyone had long hair bell bottom jeans and Huarache sandals. Awww Dems where da days man!. He hit this... puff puff cough cough passes reefer..:)

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
The only thing about demo material that's changed for me is the format: what used to be LP's are now CD's. They are:
A more recent honorable mention would be Dave Grusin - Migration (review here)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis