What's your Favorite decade and Genre of music

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Just curious to hear what your general music taste's are. Decade ? Genre ?

While I do enjoy many Different types, styles and decades of music. In the past few years have found myself listening to more and more Jazz, Blues and classical music. However, I still generally fall back to my all time fav's. 60's and mainly 70's classic Rock.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Late 60’s -early 70’s psychedelia... UK, Detroit, San Francisco... blues based.

New Wave

Old school Funk (not disco-funk!)

(I could keep going... :p )

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just curious to hear what your general music taste's are. Decade ? Genre ?

While I do enjoy many Different types, styles and decades of music. In the past few years have found myself listening to more and more Jazz, Blues and classical music. However, I still generally fall back to my all time fav's. 60's and mainly 70's classic Rock.
I enjoy lots of genres as well...R&B, Classic Rock, acoustic Jazz and Fusion among them.

The last 2 or 3 years I've gotten far deeper into Acoustic Jazz, mid 40s to late 60s. Artists in this era produced a lot of recordings...I have at least 15 Miles Davis recordings alone and I'm barely scraping the surface of his library of work.

I'm also buying quite a few female vocalist of late also...mostly Jazz/Folk themes. Vanessa Fernandez is one I particularly like...she does mostly covers and her band does excellent work. SACD release, "Use Me"...she tackles some classic R&B numbers on this one and does a great job.

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
I'm mostly into Jazz lately. That's pretty much what I stream via Internet radio stations through the Azur 851N player. Though, I do have a fairly good collection of digital music - plenty of FLAC, on my NAS to pull up and listen to higher quality tracks as needed. I did see Patricia Barber live (as a duo) a few weeks back performing in a church about 90 minutes away from me. We were actually in the front pew. Also, saw the Marshall Tucker Band play for the 4th time a few weeks back too. So, my tastes can wander a little bit off of jazz and female vocalists.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Late 60’s -early 70’s psychedelia... UK, Detroit, San Francisco... blues based.

New Wave

Old school Funk (not disco-funk!)

(I could keep going... :p )
80's - Punk, Post Punk, New Wave, Industrial...
Disco tried to kill the 70's, happily it died. Madonna almost killed the 80's, sadly the Grimm reaper hasn't gotten her yet. (even though visually it looks like it )

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I like mostly songs of the past 60 years in all genres especially Rock, Metal, Pop, Alternative, New Wave, Industrial, Jungle, Rap, Hip Hop, R&B, Funk, Jazz, Folk, Country, and Bluegrass. I probably forgot some. :)

I’m not too fond of most church choir music and that kind of thing. LOL :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I like a lot of different stuff. Pretty much can put on 80s though and just leave it on.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
for me it's all about the 'mood', I go from 'doo wop' to Classic rock to 60/70's folk to Jazz to Blues to Big Band to Classical (mostly Russian composers)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
(mostly Russian composers)
Shostakovich at full tilt is a beautiful thing!
Symphony 8, 10, 11 are all time favorites... 5 and 6 are very good too.
If you enjoy piano, check out his preludes and fugues performed by Keith Jarrett

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
for me it's all about the 'mood', I go from 'doo wop' to Classic rock to 60/70's folk to Jazz to Blues to Big Band to Classical (mostly Russian composers)
See, Russians ain't that bad after all, o_O :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Shostakovich at full tilt is a beautiful thing!
Symphony 8, 10, 11 are all time favorites... 5 and 6 are very good too.
If you enjoy piano, check out his preludes and fugues performed by Keith Jarrett
agreed !

20 years ago when my youngest was a senior in HS and a member of their Marching Band (350 strong !) their on field Cavalcade performance was his 5th, they did a marvelous job with their rendition !

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
ahh, the good Russian, Peter's 3rd piano Concerto remains one of my favorites, albeit at the time of his death. His final Symphony (#7) was reconstructed and clarified by Semyon Bogatryryev.
;)
Tchaikovsky, Putin, Shostakovich, Rasputin... in order.
Tchaikovsky is amazing. And though trite, I have fond memories of seeing the St Louis Orchestra and Ballet do Nutcracker when I was a Senior in HS...
...Same year I won a soloist award for doing God Bless The Child in Marching Band... on a Soprano Sax!
IIRC, Santa Clara Vanguard did Dvorak's 9th one year. Impressive!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
;)
Tchaikovsky, Putin, Shostakovich, Rasputin... in order.
Tchaikovsky is amazing. And though trite, I have fond memories of seeing the St Louis Orchestra and Ballet do Nutcracker when I was a Senior in HS...
...Same year I won a soloist award for doing God Bless The Child in Marching Band... on a Soprano Sax!
IIRC, Santa Clara Vanguard did Dvorak's 9th one year. Impressive!
you know his '1812' gets a lot of criticism, mostly for some of the ridiculous renditions performed over the years but Lorin Maazels's performance while conducting the Cleveland Symphony is one of the best IMO.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
A friend was listening to some '60's-'70s music and occasionally his then-15 year old daughter would pass through the room, stop to listen and keep going. She did this a few more times before stopping to ask "Is this representative of that time?"; he answered that it was. She just grumbled "God, my generation sucks!".

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis