• Yamaha

Votes: 74 26.1%
  • Other

Votes: 18 6.3%

• Total voters
B

beaser

Audiophyte
For receivers I'd have to go with Denon. For a serious sound system It would be Quad or Rotel pre and amp

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
What can I say but Yamaha.
There are many other brands that are great, but I'm convinced. :)

K

Krazykaj

Junior Audioholic
dispite my recent issues with Yamaha, i still like their receivers. Ease of use, looks and most importantly, their sound quality is great!
Though i'd have to admit, if another maufacuter came out with something better for the money, i'd swap :) but for the moment, and over the past few years, i think yamaha has some of the best on offer.

cheers
KJ

jazz.by.the.bay

jazz.by.the.bay

Enthusiast
gene said:
Please choose your favorite brand of receiver and tell us why.

Note leave the flames for the Stream Vent Please.
I have heard about Harman Kardon being very nice, but I have experienced Denon.

I want to know more about Rotel.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I like JVC, so I voted for "other". My RX-318BK powers my Polk Rti4's just fine. It sounds much better than my 80's Sony receiver did. Peace.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
I would have to say my favorites in this department would be Rotel and Marantz. Even though I had an issue recently with a Marantz receiver. I still give them a thumbs up. Even though I love the way NAD products sound, they seem to have to many QC issues and cant give them a thumbs up here. Ive owned two products from this company and both had issues. Some might disagree though.

My big thing with HT receivers is if they have the ability to do music well. Most do not. Rotel and Marantz seem to pay alot of attention to this aspect. I have used Denon and Yamaha as well but dont feel they can do music that well. But they do offer alot of bang for the buck and build very solid products. Probably a little more geared to HT than music. Not a bad thing, they just seem to have a slightly diffrent focus.

Cheers,
Glenn

L

libor

Enthusiast
:) NAD is my choice,power,easy operation and sound good.Had many problems with Dennon.Have couple for parts.SALE

D

DSH

Audiophyte
After using Denon I started looking for a receiver which better operates in Stereo and finally have chosen Marantz SR8300. I am more than happy with the power and performance. :)

fuzzy32

Audiophyte
My vote---Onkyo. :)

I love my Onkyo 989. It has every feature I need. More than enough power and has tons of inputs/outputs for my HT.

RaT

RaT

Junior Audioholic
I don't even know if they still exist but I really liked the old McIntosh equipment. The knobs/switches were solid, the face simple but functional. I suppose today, it would be a collectors item. They built them like your life depended on it.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Do I have to pick just one?

Denon, then NAD, but Rotel is quite nice as well.

MtB

MtB

Audiophyte
Just bought Yamaha, prefer HK though

footman said:
I choose yamaha. ease of use, reliability, functions, the ability to tailor sound and experiment with it utilizing dsp. rxv 1000, rxv3330.
I wish I could afford a Harman Kardon receiver with the number of inputs I need, but I can't, so I bought a new Yamaha (HTR-5650) instead. Being shipped up from J&R as we speak according to UPS.

My dad has an early-80's model HK receiver, phono and tape deck system. I especially love their auto-tuning feature (with the mic in the remote) and focus on perfection.

As a music lover though, my second choice is Yamaha which I find has very nice clean sound. I've never had the opportunity to listen to half the other receivers listed, so that part makes it hard to judge too of course.

howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
I like my Onkyo txnr900.
I can do more than i know how with this and it runs my HT nicely. The net tune is a neat feature if you have much music on your computer or like internet radio. After getting it set up and playing with the software a little i let it go for now.
Curt

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
I had an old Yamaha Pro-Logic receiver, bought in 1996, and then recently got a Yamaha RX-V750. I compared it to the equivalent Denon (2105), and liked the sound of the Yamaha a bit more. Yamaha's are supposedly a little brighter, while Denon's supposedly ahve a warmer mid-range. It may be because I am loosing some high-freq. response in my ears, but the Yamaha just sounded more dynamic to me.

I think it sounds decent enough for 2-ch. music, which I usually listen to in the "pure-direct" mode, with all of the processing turned off, tone-controls bypassed, display off, etc. I also like the fact that I can power-down some unused capabilities, such as Zone 2.

That said, I still think that the old 2-ch. integrated amp I bought in 1977 (a 60 Wpc Kenwood) sounded better (for 2-ch. music). It was built like a tank, had a jewel-like machined volume knob with little splines machined into it, and a mirror backing plate, and had no series blocking capacitors in the signal path. It's frequency response was therefore rated from DC to 100KHz., with 0.02% THD. It also had totally separate power supplies for each channel. Unfortunately, I sold it at a garage sale, like an idiot.

Speaking of Kenwood, I notice they're not listed as one of the choices. My impression is that kenwood's current line seems to offer a lot of specs for the money, at least on paper, but that makes me think there must be some form of catch, in terms of sound quality. If they sounded like my old amp, I'd be impressed, but there's probably little resemblance.

N

neznarf

Audioholic Intern
Harman Kardon is rock solid. Build quality is exellent. Reputation is unmatched. Many other brands have great sound, and/or great
features, and/or great build quality, but HK has all three, and the
price is about the same as a refrigerator.
If you want to step down a little, go with Onkyo.
If you are a gizmo freak, go with Yamaha.

Last edited:
H

heroesunplugged

Audioholic Intern
I have an old TEAC AG-V3020 (Pro-Logic) that I have owned since '95. I have auditioned other receivers (Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony, JVC, Pioneer, Sony ES) and they just don't seem to cut it in two-channel mode. The bass response seems to be lacking and in the case of most the mids and highs are overly exagerated (with exception to Pioneer Elite).

Older Onkyo, two-channel stereo and pro-logic receivers are extremely good in my opinion, because they sound good and they hold up over years of use. I agree with some who say that Onkyo has dropped the ball with their current line of HTreceivers. The chasis seems cheep and the sound quality isn't as good.

Like Jason said, "Mine is the best." Mine is the best, because I don't have to pay over a grand for something new that I may not be satisfied within a couple of weeks from the time I buy it.

M

MAX661

Audioholic
I would have to say my Top 3 are Yamaha, Denon and HK... I own the RX-Z9 and haven't heard much that matches it, before this receiver I owned the HK AVR7200 and it did a great job also.

Yamaha's flagship vs Harmon Kardon Flagship that I owned goes to yamaha hands down...

Yamaha:
Better build quality
Better Sound
More Power
More Features
More Connections
YPAO

Harmon Kardon:
Cheaper Price

Just my opinions,
MAX...

newsletter