What's Your Best Dolby Atmos or DTS-X Concert Blu-ray?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Thanks @Eppie

I asked my family for these Concerts:

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon - Dolby Atmos
John Williams in Vienna
John Williams: The Berlin Concert
Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague

I couldn't resist asking for Black Hawk Down - 4K UHD / Blu-ray combo for $18 on Amazon, as one of my sons has Prime and it makes it really easy for him. I figured the Chopper bits flying overhead should give my Atmos speakers a work out. I also asked for a Oppenheimer - 4K UHD / Blu-ray combo ($35 on Amazon and it's #1 Best Seller) even though it's about the only new 4K disk I've seen without Atmos!

I try to keep it easy and not expensive for them. As I really don't need anything, it's tough to come up with a list so they can pick something. For the last few years I've been focusing on Blu-rays. So I'm always on the hunt as there's my Birthday, Father's Day, etc. ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks @Eppie

John Williams in Vienna

I couldn't resist asking for Black Hawk Down - 4K UHD / Blu-ray combo for $18 on Amazon, as one of my sons has Prime and it makes it really easy for him. I figured the Chopper bits flying overhead should give my Atmos speakers a work out. I also asked for a Oppenheimer - 4K UHD / Blu-ray combo ($35 on Amazon and it's #1 Best Seller) even though it's about the only new 4K disk I've seen without Atmos!

I try to keep it easy and not expensive for them. As I really don't need anything, it's tough to come up with a list so they can pick something. For the last few years I've been focusing on Blu-rays. So I'm always on the hunt as there's my Birthday, Father's Day, etc. ;)
Roger waters “the wall” is excellent as well. In Atmos of course.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks @Eppie

John Williams in Vienna

Yeah, we have the same trouble picking gifts in our household. There's not much that we need and what I want is too expensive. :D Do you know which hall the Vienna concert was recorded at? I've been in the Vienna Musikverein and the acoustics are just amazing. I've seen the Zimmer concert recommend often. I saw yesterday that Porcupine Tree is releasing a blu-ray for a live recording of their latest live album Closure/Continuationb but I've been unable to find details on the audio track.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Yeah, we have the same trouble picking gifts in our household. There's not much that we need and what I want is too expensive. :D Do you know which hall the Vienna concert was recorded at? I've been in the Vienna Musikverein and the acoustics are just amazing. I've seen the Zimmer concert recommend often. I saw yesterday that Porcupine Tree is releasing a blu-ray for a live recording of their latest live album Closure/Continuationb but I've been unable to find details on the audio track.
According to a review I read the Gold Hall of the Musikverein in Vienna is where this takes place. From what I can gather, the Vienna concert is a better recording, but the Berlin concert has better program material. I'm really just going for it as other than on a movie soundtrack (where I wasn't paying particular attention to the details of it) I've not "listened" to John Williams work. It's the same with Hans Zimmer.

It seems I'm a bit tapped out to date on Atmos disks from Bands I like (sorry for being particular) so I thought I'd stretch myself a bit and ask for something from these Gents.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
My youngest son gave me Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon - Dolby Atmos on Blu-ray Audio for Christmas, and I listened to it yesterday.

And I must say for a remix of 50 year old master tapes, it was done quite well. I only had time to check out an interesting vignette on checking your speaker connections; as it states some OEMs don't follow the industry standard and mess up the side & rear surrounds; before I played the whole Album in Atmos. (My Atmos system setup is fine, but I sort of expected that.)

The Atmos mix is noticeable and present, but subtle enough not to be over done. A balance if you will, so as not to be too gimmicky, but add to the overall experience of a true Classic Rock Album. Well worth a listen, especially if you are a Pink Floyd fan.

I didn't get the Black Hawk Down - 4K UHD / Blu-ray combo for Christmas so I had my son buy it for me on Boxing Day evening, still for $18 on Amazon, as he has Prime and I'll pay him for it. It was delivered before noon the next day. I still find Amazon's system amazing.

Now I need to go find more worthwhile Atmos /DTS-X concerts to pick up in 2024!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis