What's up with my receiver going into Protect Mode only?

M

MarkS33

Enthusiast
Hello everyone, a forum newbie here with several questions about an odd scenario with my home theater receiver. Last Fall, out of the blue my Denon AVR-589 5.1 receiver stopped working. It would only come on for a few seconds and then resort to Protect mode. Here’s what I have checked, all resulting in the same outcome, only going to Protect mode.
  • I checked all speakers, removing each until none were connected to the receiver. Power up, right to Protect mode.
  • I followed the recommended reset procedure with no change.
  • I upgraded the power strip the receiver plugs into.
  • I tested the receiver by itself in other outlets around the house with no difference in operation.
  • I played with other electrical loads in the house, taking them on and offline and testing the receiver in different scenarios.
  • I checked the power quality with regard to EMF interference and added a system of plug-in EMF filters (GreenWave). The millivolts of static on the lines was reduced but otherwise no change for the receiver.
  • Bought a new home theater receiver, Sony STR-DH790 7.1 and plugged it in, without speakers attached. No change.
  • I had the local utility check line voltage at my meter. Each of the two power legs read 118V, within allowable parameters. They will be installing a 48-hr recording meter on the power in the next few weeks to watch usage etc. to see if anything odd shows up.
I haven’t called an electrician and don’t know yet, whether this is a voltage or frequency problem.
All other electronics in the house work as they should. Any ideas??

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So other items off the same power strip no problems? Brand new 790 goes immediately into protect both on the strip and any outlet in the house?

Had an appliance issue once that was solved by a new wall outlet, the contacts inside the receptacle had broken apart....but it took replacing the appliance before that was figured out.

Your voltage/frequency sound fine (can't imagine the EMF filter was ever necessary either).

M

MarkS33

Enthusiast
So other items off the same power strip no problems? Brand new 790 goes immediately into protect both on the strip and any outlet in the house?

Had an appliance issue once that was solved by a new wall outlet, the contacts inside the receptacle had broken apart....but it took replacing the appliance before that was figured out.

Your voltage/frequency sound fine (can't imagine the EMF filter was ever necessary either).
Everything else works fine on the same power strip and I think checking the receiver across various receptacles eliminates a bad one. I wasn't sure that the EMF filters would make a difference but the only way to know was to give them a try. They are intended to reduce ambient radiation so I decided that was OK too, even if it didn't resolve the receiver issue. It's a mystery!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Everything else works fine on the same power strip and I think checking the receiver across various receptacles eliminates a bad one. I wasn't sure that the EMF filters would make a difference but the only way to know was to give them a try. They are intended to reduce ambient radiation so I decided that was OK too, even if it didn't resolve the receiver issue. It's a mystery!
Or your Denon died from natural causes and you got a lemon Sony? Definitely weird.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello everyone, a forum newbie here with several questions about an odd scenario with my home theater receiver. Last Fall, out of the blue my Denon AVR-589 5.1 receiver stopped working. It would only come on for a few seconds and then resort to Protect mode. Here’s what I have checked, all resulting in the same outcome, only going to Protect mode.
  • I checked all speakers, removing each until none were connected to the receiver. Power up, right to Protect mode.
  • I followed the recommended reset procedure with no change.
  • I upgraded the power strip the receiver plugs into.
  • I tested the receiver by itself in other outlets around the house with no difference in operation.
  • I played with other electrical loads in the house, taking them on and offline and testing the receiver in different scenarios.
  • I checked the power quality with regard to EMF interference and added a system of plug-in EMF filters (GreenWave). The millivolts of static on the lines was reduced but otherwise no change for the receiver.
  • Bought a new home theater receiver, Sony STR-DH790 7.1 and plugged it in, without speakers attached. No change.
  • I had the local utility check line voltage at my meter. Each of the two power legs read 118V, within allowable parameters. They will be installing a 48-hr recording meter on the power in the next few weeks to watch usage etc. to see if anything odd shows up.
I haven’t called an electrician and don’t know yet, whether this is a voltage or frequency problem.
All other electronics in the house work as they should. Any ideas??
You are jinxed! Both receivers are faulty. You probably have my luck. Unless I buy gear that is pretty much top line, it usually blows up promptly. Every time I buy anything down market I pay through the nose. We must have the same Karma.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
2 receivers are affected? Did you buy Amazon returns?

M

MarkS33

Enthusiast
The Denon receiver worked fine for 4 years or so before it didn't. The sudden death of the unit, seemingly confirmed by the trouble shooting results per the owner's manual led me to try a new one in lieu of finding a repair shop. So I went with the new Sony from Best Buy but their holiday return period has expired now. It wasn't an uninformed choice, the Sony got favorable reviews for it's price range and features. Jinxed ? Maybe but it seems implausible. I've owned electronic equipment since the 1970's when I bought my first piece, a Sansui 8080 stereo receiver and have never had an equipment failure right out of the box before. And, the Sansui is still performing well.
I was going to try the Denon in another power outlet somewhere, at a friend's or something but haven't done that test yet. And that probably won't happen very soon given the current state of affairs.
Why is it that a home theater receiver is set up to be more sensitive to incoming power than any other normal stereo music receiver?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Why is it that a home theater receiver is set up to be more sensitive to incoming power than any other normal stereo music receiver?
Why are you assuming that the incoming power is the cause of the failure?

If the unit went into "protection mode", it most likely has failed on either one or more of the following events:

- Short circuit (overcurrent).
- Thermal overload
- Excessive DC.

It can display what it was if you press the right sequence of buttons. That may be too late now if you no longer have the Denon but you most likely can get the Sony to display the fault history.

S

sterling shoote

The Denon receiver worked fine for 4 years or so before it didn't. The sudden death of the unit, seemingly confirmed by the trouble shooting results per the owner's manual led me to try a new one in lieu of finding a repair shop. So I went with the new Sony from Best Buy but their holiday return period has expired now. It wasn't an uninformed choice, the Sony got favorable reviews for it's price range and features. Jinxed ? Maybe but it seems implausible. I've owned electronic equipment since the 1970's when I bought my first piece, a Sansui 8080 stereo receiver and have never had an equipment failure right out of the box before. And, the Sansui is still performing well.
I was going to try the Denon in another power outlet somewhere, at a friend's or something but haven't done that test yet. And that probably won't happen very soon given the current state of affairs.
Your critical analysis makes me think your electrical service or inside wiring is triggering these shut down episodes. Reminds me of a furnace fan motor that burnt out in my home's HVAC system. The replacement ran backwards, its replacement ran backwards, and finally a third ran in the correct direction. The problem was loose wiring to the motor. That loose wiring caused the original motor to run backwards and burn out. At any rate, might want to inspect wiring beginning at your fuse/circuit box. Also, inspect the room outlet for deterioration.

S

sterling shoote

If the unit went into "protection mode", it most likely has failed on either one or more of the following events:

- Thermal overload
- Excessive DC.

It can display what it was if you press the right sequence of buttons. That may be too late now if you no longer have the Denon but you most likely can get the Sony to display the fault history.
Don't the incidents occurring from a unit that has worked fine until now and a new receiver not working at beginning of service suggest incoming power? I've had this problem from short circuit at speaker terminals; but, that does not seem to be the case here.

M

MarkS33

Enthusiast
Don't the incidents occurring from a unit that has worked fine until now and a new receiver not working at beginning of service suggest incoming power?
Exactly. If no speakers are connected, incoming power is the place to start. The unit is adequately cooled. A short circuit inside the unit would come from incoming power. Exposure to DC current would come from incoming power.

M

MarkS33

Enthusiast

- Thermal overload
- Excessive DC.

Do you know the 'right sequence of buttons' for the Denon or Sony units? Are there any technical resources around that might show how to initiate a fault report? I tried the 'reset' procedure per the Denon owner's manual, with the same results. I have both the Denon and Sony units to look at.

Last edited:
M

MarkS33

Enthusiast
Your critical analysis makes me think your electrical service or inside wiring is triggering these shut down episodes. At any rate, might want to inspect wiring beginning at your fuse/circuit box. Also, inspect the room outlet for deterioration.
I agree that is seems to be something with the service. Something changed 'overnight' with the unit working one day and not the next.
Both receivers have been tested using various outlets around the house which I think eliminates a deteriorated outlet.
The electrical service was tested at 118 volts per the local utility. But I don't know whether that is a problem for the receiver protection circuit.
At some point, I will hire an electrician for further investigation. In the meantime, that's why I am on this Forum which I know is more about equipment than power systems in houses but I am looking for any insight here.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Do you know the 'right sequence of buttons' for the Denon or Sony units? Are there any technical resources around that might show how to initiate a fault report? I tried the 'reset' procedure per the Denon owner's manual, with the same results. I have both the Denon and Sony units to look at.
From thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2672153-can-t-reset-avr-589-a.html:

"With the power off, while pressing/holding down the INPUT MODE + SPEAKERS A buttons, power on the AVR as you normally would (ie. press/release the power button). "​

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't the incidents occurring from a unit that has worked fine until now and a new receiver not working at beginning of service suggest incoming power? I've had this problem from short circuit at speaker terminals; but, that does not seem to be the case here.
My comments was applicable to the Denon that worked for years before it failed.

However, even if the Sony failed right out of the box, it doesn't mean it is the incoming power supply's fault. I am not saying it isn't the cause, but I woul say it is unlikely for it to cause an immediate failure unless the voltage is way too high, such as feeding 220V to a device designed for 120 V.

M

MarkS33

Enthusiast
Last edited:
M

MarkS33

Enthusiast
My comments was applicable to the Denon that worked for years before it failed.

However, even if the Sony failed right out of the box, it doesn't mean it is the incoming power supply's fault. I am not saying it isn't the cause, but I woul say it is unlikely for it to cause an immediate failure unless the voltage is way too high, such as feeding 220V to a device designed for 120 V.
I agree, the Sony unit could be faulty but the voltages are all within acceptable range. Crazy, right?
I thought I was onto something when I measured up to 600mV of noise on the line, but when that was eliminated with the GreenWave filters, that seemed to eliminate that possibility.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know the one for the Denon but not the Sony.

The "reset" procedure is just for "reset", not for displaying the fault history.

The button sequence for that particular model is:

With the "system setup" and "Mult EQ" buttons pressed, pressed the "On/Off" button to turn the power on. The error (protection history display) mode is set.

Now, press the "Status" button to turn on the FL display.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think that the issue is the usual faulty thinking of chances. Your Denon failed due to age. Your Sony was a failure and your chances of having a dud is the same as everybody else. So I highly doubt you have a power problem. Those issues are very rare and you have eliminated as that as the cause already.

Its like flood ratings. We build in the US to 100 year event ratings. That means the chance of a flood in 1% per year every year. If you flood it is still 1% ext year and the year after that. So there is a 1 in 5 chance you could flood every 20 years. So building on a 100 year flood plan is dangerous. We should build to 500 year events.

Receivers are a problem, with far too many features at too low a price. They are fragile, not robust, and prone to failure. They are essentially troublesome units. Personally if I bought a receiver I would expect it to fail before I had any lengthy use from it. I really do buy for the long term with an eye to reliability. Having said that judging reliability is the most difficult aspect of any purchase.

But I try, and have a lot of gear in regular use that is very old.

In the wake of this crisis and how the world's monetary system will radically change , I suspect most of this Far Eastern junk will disappear from the market. We will return to the kind of quality that was around pre 1970s when the rot really started to set in.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis