What's the deal with those very expensive coolers?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I take one of those expensive prescription drugs – I inject it every other week. The mail order pharmacy ships me 2 doses at a time, enough for 4 weeks. Each shipment costs me $346 ($266 per dose). If you’re inclined to do the math, I take 26 doses per year. But the cost of that drug is not my beef today.

This drug has to be kept cold but not frozen. Each shipment comes in a small styrofoam cooler, kept cold with frozen gel packs. The box with the 2 syringes is insulated from the frozen packs by more non-frozen, but cold gel packs. These small coolers are large enough for 2 frozen gel packs, 2 more thinner non-frozen gel packs, and the box of 2 pre-filled syringes. The cooler is ~1¼" thick, has a snug lid, and comes in cardboard shipping box to protect the styrofoam. When I get a shipment, after 1½-2 days shipping, the contents are cold, even in hot weather. As a guess, I think they could easily keep cold for twice as long if they stay closed.

Last month, I took a 2-week road trip. I had to bring a syringe along, so I used one of those 'free' shipping cooler/cartons. After getting back I wondered if I could find a small cooler that I can take with me in a car, instead of using one of those styrofoam shipping coolers.

So I looked to see what’s available. I want something small & sturdy, with a decent carry handle, like one of those cheap lunch box type Igloo coolers, but better insulated. I already have 2 other larger Coleman coolers, 28 Quarts and 48 Quarts, but I don't use them often. I’ve seen small soft-sided coolers that come as backpacks, but they also don’t keep things cool enough. I wanted something with hard sides, and thought I’d find something decent, like a Coleman or Igloo cooler.

I was shocked at what I saw on Amazon. They do have what I was looking for, but at a shockingly high price. What’s the deal with these ≥$110 coolers? I found others that cost even more! I was expecting to pay about $30-40. Am I missing something?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Why not stick with those free styro coolers? They are uniformly thick all around so it may be better at keeping meds cold. Yes, may not be as convenient but the price is right. ;)
Or, could that styro fit inside your existing large cooler?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Why not stick with those free styro coolers? They are uniformly thick all around so it may be better at keeping meds cold. Yes, may not be as convenient but the price is right. ;)
That's my thought too. They're not really free, but I've already paid for them.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Not sure if this one is helpful, but it should be closer to $85 in-store if your Costso these:
That price is a bit better, and I am a Costco member. Why didn't I think of looking there?

Still, does any one know why these coolers cost so much more? What's different about them?

Is $89 a reasonable price for a cooler, if the intended contents cost $266/dose? I still don't get those huge prices.

Those 'free' styro coolers are looking better & better. Even if I ding them up, I get a new one every 4 weeks.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

That's my thought too. They're not really free, but I've already paid for them.
Well, in a sense it is free for repurposing them. :D
You had to pay for it no matter what. :D Free to reuse.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A friend of mine recently visited using a Tourit soft cooler (by pics think the model was the Voyager 20). I thought it did quite well on our hot day keeping drinks nice and chilly, he said he'd been impressed so far. Think he mentioned he also has a Yeti which works well.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
if you're going to be traveling and not sure of an ice supply/availability then be prepared to spend for a Yeti or RTIC but if the availability of ice isn't an issue I can vouch for my recent purchase of a hard sided Igloo......

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I was expecting to pay about $30-40.
I got what I thought was an expensive cooler for work at Redwing Shoes for ~ $40 a few years back. Totally worth it over the $15-$20 jobs I'd been getting from Walmart. First of all it keeps stuff cool way longer with less ice than the cheapos.

The next level is that cooler you and BSA linked. And that's my next cooler ... after this one really gives up the ghost. So far I've stitched a side pocket zipper back together after catching it on a door strike plate and tearing it a new one and some duct tape was used on the liner seams where the glue let go.

That Camp Zero thing works as a seat too. That's kinda nice on the train. It puts my line of sight right at booty level, not that I'm a perv.

You might like the Redwing job. I did (still do) and the shoulder strap means you get to keep both hands for smoking weed and drinking coffee.

1660385126825.png

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I got what I thought was an expensive cooler for work at Redwing Shoes for ~ $40 a few years back. Totally worth it over the $15-$20 jobs I'd been getting from Walmart. First of all it keeps stuff cool way longer with less ice than the cheapos.

The next level is that cooler you and BSA linked. And that's my next cooler ... after this one really gives up the ghost. So far I've stitched a side pocket zipper back together after catching it on a door strike plate and tearing it a new one and some duct tape was used on the liner seams where the glue let go.

That Camp Zero thing works as a seat too. That's kinda nice on the train. It puts my line of sight right at booty level, not that I'm a perv.

You might like the Redwing job. I did (still do) and the shoulder strap means you get to keep both hands for smoking weed and drinking coffee.

View attachment 57267
Have you looked into these?
https://www.cpopowertools.com/dewalt-dxc1002b-10-quart-roto-molded-lunchbox-cooler--20-oz.-black-tumbler-combo/dewndxc1002b.html
1660397911312.png

They come in various sizes, 10 Q, 25 Q, etc. Similar coolers with Milwaukee, Makita, and other colors. I've seen better prices on Costco ($90) and ebay.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn’t think I would care but that DeWalt thing is ugly. I’d pay 90 bucks not to be seen with it.

My cooler is on its last legs but not so bad that I need it replaced. I use it daily. A plastic divider from a different cooler gets used as a floor of sorts. It protects the liner and makes clean up easier on top of giving it a form.

I’m not spending anything other than your money.

highfigh

highfigh

I take one of those expensive prescription drugs – I inject it every other week. The mail order pharmacy ships me 2 doses at a time, enough for 4 weeks. Each shipment costs me $346 ($266 per dose). If you’re inclined to do the math, I take 26 doses per year. But the cost of that drug is not my beef today.

This drug has to be kept cold but not frozen. Each shipment comes in a small styrofoam cooler, kept cold with frozen gel packs. The box with the 2 syringes is insulated from the frozen packs by more non-frozen, but cold gel packs. These small coolers are large enough for 2 frozen gel packs, 2 more thinner non-frozen gel packs, and the box of 2 pre-filled syringes. The cooler is ~1¼" thick, has a snug lid, and comes in cardboard shipping box to protect the styrofoam. When I get a shipment, after 1½-2 days shipping, the contents are cold, even in hot weather. As a guess, I think they could easily keep cold for twice as long if they stay closed.

Last month, I took a 2-week road trip. I had to bring a syringe along, so I used one of those 'free' shipping cooler/cartons. After getting back I wondered if I could find a small cooler that I can take with me in a car, instead of using one of those styrofoam shipping coolers.

So I looked to see what’s available. I want something small & sturdy, with a decent carry handle, like one of those cheap lunch box type Igloo coolers, but better insulated. I already have 2 other larger Coleman coolers, 28 Quarts and 48 Quarts, but I don't use them often. I’ve seen small soft-sided coolers that come as backpacks, but they also don’t keep things cool enough. I wanted something with hard sides, and thought I’d find something decent, like a Coleman or Igloo cooler.

I was shocked at what I saw on Amazon. They do have what I was looking for, but at a shockingly high price. What’s the deal with these ≥$110 coolers? I found others that cost even more! I was expecting to pay about $30-40. Am I missing something?
But they're really good!

I started seeing ads and videos about Yeti coolers and thought "That looks great", that changed when I saw the price.

If you go to YouTube, you'll find comparisons between many types. While they aren't scientific, they may tell you what you need to know. One guy added spray foam to the lid of a typical Coleman cooler and put ice inside of that one, as well as an unaltered Coleman. He didn't do it right- the heat was trapped by the lid and the ice melted faster in the insulated cooler- if he had filled the rest of it, the ice wouldn't have melted. He used Great Stuff.

These videos include the Ozark brand, from Wally World- they make smaller ones, too.

If you want to make a small cooler that will do a great job, find some closed cell foam insulation and a glue that will stick to it- that foam won't absorb water, either.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I didn’t think I would care but that DeWalt thing is ugly. I’d pay 90 bucks not to be seen with it.
I was kidding about the DeWalt cooler. Ugly or not is a matter of personal taste. But if I walked around carrying a cooler that was also a DeWalt billboard, they'd have to pay me $90.
My cooler is on its last legs but not so bad that I need it replaced. I use it daily. A plastic divider from a different cooler gets used as a floor of sorts. It protects the liner and makes clean up easier on top of giving it a form.

I’m not spending anything other than your money.
You use your cooler everyday. That's a lot more than I'll ever use one.

I have to make another trip north, and I'll have to bring along that refrigerated medication in one of those shipping cooler/cartons that it came with. It should get the job done. After that, I'll decide if I want to spend $90 on a small cooler. I've got other big bills to pay. My real estate tax and home owners insurance bills are due in September. They make $90 look like pocket change.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I did some more research, and it seems like no coolers, even the fanciest ones, will hold ice longer than 5-6 days.
With that in mind, you'd have to find a way to cool the medicine box at least once every 1-2 days. Maybe replace the ice or something. I think it shouldn't be too hard, as most gas stations will sell bagged ice.
The video is somewhat crappy, but it does provide some info:

On the other hand, If I were you, I'd plan a two weeks vacation; I would make sure to time it right between the need to inject the meds.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I did some more research, and it seems like no coolers, even the fanciest ones, will hold ice longer than 5-6 days. With that in mind, you'd have to find a way to cool the medicine box at least once every 1-2 days. Maybe replace the ice or something.
Thanks for the link. The info that no cooler, not even the fanciest one, can keep cold longer than 5-6 days, under the best conditions, is worth knowing. That's what I suspected, that $100+ coolers are overkill. Unless unpredictable delays happen while traveling, I need a reliable cooler for 1 day. I can easily use the shipping cooler/carton.
On the other hand, If I were you, I'd plan a two weeks vacation; I would make sure to time it right between the need to inject the meds.
Easy to plan under normal circumstances, but this coming trip came about because a new grandson was recently born. My wife & I have been summoned to help out. We will be busy taking care of a 1½-year-old granddaughter and a ~3-year-old dog, as well as getting food on the table for 4 adults.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any chance of a small, car battery powered cooler?
I have a friend with one of those...had to jump start his car when it drained the car battery....think that happened twice now that I think of it.....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have a friend with one of those...had to jump start his car when it drained the car battery....think that happened twice now that I think of it.....
Of course if you don't drive or run the motor while powering the cooler, there's a 100% possibility of completely draining the battery.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Of course if you don't drive or run the motor while powering the cooler, there's a 100% possibility of completely draining the battery.
First time just optimistic and second time think more forgetfulness...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've had a few of these fancy injection molded coolers and they're pretty great. Are they worth the money? Not really. I've read tons of reviews to see who really is the "best" and it boils down to how they're made. Kodi (HEB brand) is awesome, but has some special features.

Yeti is great too, but you're going to pay. Rtic is awesome and MUCH cheaper than the others. Interestingly enough the "best" cooler right now is a Wally world special which is Lifetime.

As @BoredSysAdmin said though, none of them will hold Ice for a week. If they're in the sun performance sufferers quite a bit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis