What's a good Atmos demo movie or ?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Would anyone have a recommendation? I am NOT really a movie watcher, though like documentaries and things like that. My wife is a huge movie watcher, likes action drama even with hack & slash as long as there's a reasonable story line. She also likes anything military action, or some westerns as long as they're not spaghetti westerns. Anything Bronson is on her list, though he's not been active of late. Neither of us likes sappy love story chick flicks.

It may be another month or two before NAD starts shipping the last piece my T758 AVR needs to decode Atmos. I have an LG UP875 Blu-ray player and KEF R50 Atmos-enabled "toppers" waiting. I want to pick up a couple titles to be totally ready when the AM230 gets fitted to my receiver, so hoping for some good options.

Thank you!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I saw 2049 in an Atmos theater and was impressed.

Also saw The Conjuring 2 in an Atmos theater and I'd say check that out too. The sound was nuts.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
umm...on the Blade Runner 2049, umm, me being single didn't matter and please no pun intended. Since your a married dude, spoiler alert, 2049 has some really hot lady's ;) and very, very tall and I mean tall! wemimms:eek: in the move! Just saying didn't want ya to bring home the move and Wife goes, oh yeah! :mad:Atmos? yeah right!.:mad:..just picking man..Really awesome movie though..:cool:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
umm...on the Blade Runner 2049, umm, me being single didn't matter and please no pun intended. Since your a married dude, spoiler alert, 2049 has some really hot lady's ;) and very, very tall and I mean tall! wemimms:eek: in the move! Just saying didn't want ya to bring home the move and Wife goes, oh yeah! :mad:Atmos? yeah right!.:mad:..just picking man..Really awesome movie though..:cool:
*cough*atomic blonde*cough*

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hacksaw Ridge had excellent sound and so did Dunkirk. Hacksaw is a bit heavy though, SPR levels of gore which I don't really feel helps convey the idea, but good story.

Blu-ray.com lists Atmos for the 4K of Hacksaw.

Video
Codec: HEVC / H.265
Resolution: Upscaled 4K (2160p)
HDR: HDR10
Aspect ratio: 2.39:1
Original aspect ratio: 2.39:1

Audio
English: Dolby Atmos
English: Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)
Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
English: Dolby Digital 2.0

Dunkirk only lists DTS-HD MA.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
"SPR levels of gore"? Sorry, don't know the acronym.

Dunkirk sounds like a good one too, she likes war movies. And I just noticed the same title/edition of Hacksaw Ridge is 1/2 that price at Best Buy.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
"SPR levels of gore"? Sorry, don't know the acronym.

Dunkirk sounds like a good one too, she likes war movies. And I just noticed the same title/edition of Hacksaw Ridge is 1/2 that price at Best Buy.
Saving Private Ryan. Omaha Beach scene. I only say that because I think we all get that war has a lot of body parts being removed. I don't need to see ALL of it to understand that I am watching a war movie. I saw SPR in the theater and an older gentleman was sitting next to me. After the beach scene he was crying.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, OK. My wife and I have Saving Private Ryan on DVD, she's perfectly OK with that kind of stuff.

LOL...so she just described to me what kind of movie is OK.

"I don't mind gory stuff as long as the person who get's killed doesn't come back to life and kill everyone else with a chainsaw."

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, OK. My wife and I have Saving Private Ryan on DVD, she's perfectly OK with that kind of stuff.

LOL...so she just described to me what kind of movie is OK.

"I don't mind gory stuff as long as the person who get's killed doesn't come back to life and kill everyone else with a chainsaw."
Lol!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, she's got a good sense of humor, though serious about what movies she'll watch. The explanation is that a movie must have a practical, believable story line, something that could possibly happen in current or past reality, never future stuff.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, she's got a good sense of humor, though serious about what movies she'll watch. The explanation is that a movie must have a practical, believable story line, something that could possibly happen in current or past reality, never future stuff.
Sounds a little like mine. She has a hard time leaving her brain at the door. I’m generally more pragmatic, however I can watch stuff like TMNT, or now you see me 2 and love it. They both have great tracks btw. Couple more thoughts. If you plan on trying legacy tracks with dsu, lone survivor has one of my personal favorite tracks. Even in 7.1 I have to check my Sheetrock for bullet holes after watching it. It’s great.
Magnificent seven too.

Mockingjay part 2 has an atmos track that’s supposed to be great too.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IMO, the point of a movie is to escape a bit. I understand the grounded in reality aspect because I know others who are this way too, but some of the best films are not based in reality.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
IMO, the point of a movie is to escape a bit. I understand the grounded in reality aspect because I know others who are this way too, but some of the best films are not based in reality.
Couldn’t agree more J. But I gotta say, this skull island documentary is amazing...

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
Lots of non-Atmos movies posted. Dunkirk is great but no Atmos. Older movies won’t have it. Even re-releases with Atmos tracks are just remixes. They can be great but it’s not the real thing.

TechHDS got it right. MAD MAX: Fury Road is well-known as a great Atmos showcase, and it does not disappoint.

Gravity also has a highly regarded Atmos track. Sounds like your wife might like that!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I did pick up Hacksaw Ridge, Blue Planet II and 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, all in 4K HDR with regular BluRay disk and digital download. I'll pick up a couple more, but still waiting on NAD to start selling the AM230 MDC module separately to folks like me who've owned the original NAD T758 for a couple years. It's the last piece I need to be able to try Atmos.

I'd already added the VM130 MDC for 4K, and the BlueOS kit for streaming music. I know she'd have no interest in Mad Max, but the Gravity movie might work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis