What VINYL ONLY Are Ya Listening To? Thread! ;)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Blessings and good evening. Some needed Gospels from EP on a mint Cassette!
Sounds great.
_20210423_230309.JPG

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah my digital version of Days of Future Passed plays much cleaner, but sometimes that nostalgic surface noise has a place :) But considering I've had it for 50 years of use it isn't horrible otoh....

Mostly a fan of Gabriel post-Genesis myself, but that's because I really didn't know much about him until I had to meet him to clear thru Customs a synthesizer he carried in his lap on a flight from London to LA, very nice guy. I actually knew more about the music of the guy he was with at the time, Larry Fast of Synergy. I became a fan fairly quickly of Mr Gabriel, tho.
I had my Moody Blues LP in highschool so mine is over 40. :D Deram Records 1967 copy.

Have you seen Secret World Live on DVD? Amazing concert and must have for the Gabriel fan. Tony Levin on bass and David Rhodes on guitar.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
So I was playing The Beatles White Album and just for fun turned on 5 channel stereo mode. Wow, what a difference. I'm pretty much always a 2-channel listener for music, but the early Beatles albums have some strange mixes. Stereo was new, so someone got the idea to place the drums and guitar in one speaker, the bass and keyboards in the other, and lead vocals in both. Amazing for those hearing it the first time, but odd by today's standards. In 5 channel stereo something neat happened though. The drums and guitar sounded like they were 10 feet over to the right, and the bass and keys 10 feet over to left with the vocals in front. It gave the impression of being in the middle of the recording studio in front of the singer. It doesn't do that for all LPs, but on the White Album the effect was a lot of fun.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I was playing The Beatles White Album and just for fun turned on 5 channel stereo mode. Wow, what a difference. I'm pretty much always a 2-channel listener for music, but the early Beatles albums have some strange mixes. Stereo was new, so someone got the idea to place the drums and guitar in one speaker, the bass and keyboards in the other, and lead vocals in both. Amazing for those hearing it the first time, but odd by today's standards. In 5 channel stereo something neat happened though. The drums and guitar sounded like they were 10 feet over to the right, and the bass and keys 10 feet over to left with the vocals in front. It gave the impression of being in the middle of the recording studio in front of the singer. It doesn't do that for all LPs, but on early Beatles the effect was a lot of fun.
Did you compare also to a surround mode?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Did you compare also to a surround mode?
No, because I am not a fan of ProLogic or PLII when applied to stereo music and this sounded pretty neat right off the bat. Other modes tend to over-emphasize the centre speaker and ruins the vocals. On this particular LP it mixed just enough front and rear to place things at the sides and the centre still maintained a pleasant balance. Something new, but I did recently rerun Audessey and the system is better balanced than before. Might play with some other surround modes later.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, because I am not a fan of ProLogic or PLII when applied to stereo music and this sounded pretty neat right off the bat. Other modes tend to over-emphasize the centre speaker and ruins the vocals. On this particular LP it mixed just enough front and rear to place things at the sides and the centre still maintained a pleasant balance. Something new, but I did recently rerun Audessey and the system is better balanced than before. Might play with some other surround modes later.
I'm just the other way, all ch stereo just doesn't sound nearly as good as the upmixer (I use PLIIx Music mode the most). Or just leaving it as 2.0....

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
Thanks for posting Sizz is that a AT turntable? What speakers are those? Nice isolation there.
yea its one of the early at-lp60's with a updated lp gear cfn3600le stylus which has a bit better of a tip compared to the standard cartridge.

also the large speakers that are cutoff in the back are my pioneer t-s500's and the ones the vinyl sleeve is on are my dcm tp-260's

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I'm just the other way, all ch stereo just doesn't sound nearly as good as the upmixer (I use PLIIx Music mode the most). Or just leaving it as 2.0....
Funny you should mention that. I played the other half last night and 5-channel stereo gave way too much to the rear surrounds. PLIIx was way better. :D Vocals are sounding better too since I reran Audessey. This was on a FLAC rip of the CD remaster of the White Album. I should compare the LP and see what PLIIx does for that.

I remember that audio engineers used to use phase tricks for simulated surround. Some quad receivers would decode the phase differences for simulated surround since true quad recordings were rare when those quad receivers first came out. I wonder if studios still employ those phase tricks today?

We listened to Crowded House - Temple of Low Men afterwards. I really like the way their albums are engineered. Beautiful sounding recordings. PLIIx was interesting. Some songs like Into Temptation kept most of the audio LCR with little in the surrounds, but the drummer uses brushes on that song and it sounds like I loose a little clarity in surround mode as the brushes get harder to pick out. Sister Madly, on the other hand, had the instruments all over the room in surround mode. I may turn down the surrounds a bit and play with this some more. It's certainly sounding a lot better then when I had the older center speaker with different Audessey settings.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Funny you should mention that. I played the other half last night and 5-channel stereo gave way too much to the rear surrounds. PLIIx was way better. :D Vocals are sounding better too since I reran Audessey. This was on a FLAC rip of the CD remaster of the White Album. I should compare the LP and see what PLIIx does for that.

I remember that audio engineers used to use phase tricks for simulated surround. Some quad receivers would decode the phase differences for simulated surround since true quad recordings were rare when those quad receivers first came out. I wonder if studios still employ those phase tricks today?

We listened to Crowded House - Temple of Low Men afterwards. I really like the way their albums are engineered. Beautiful sounding recordings. PLIIx was interesting. Some songs like Into Temptation kept most of the audio LCR with little in the surrounds, but the drummer uses brushes on that song and it sounds like I loose a little clarity in surround mode as the brushes get harder to pick out. Sister Madly, on the other hand, had the instruments all over the room in surround mode. I may turn down the surrounds a bit and play with this some more. It's certainly sounding a lot better then when I had the older center speaker with different Audessey settings.
IIRC Dolby PLII still uses some phase inverting and think it also discriminates somewhat based on frequency range for creating information for center/surrounds. Believe Dolby 2.0 may also includes some coding help for the upmixer? Been a while since I've read some background info. All multich stereo does is send same L/R signal to each pair of L/R speakers and sums it for the center.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just finished this one I bought today, now one of my favorite albums! The story about record producer Teddy Reig and his first encounter will Frank Zappa is funny.

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 6.09.38 PM.png

IMG_3338.JPG

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Good Evening Peeps. Happy International Dance Day. :pWho better to kick it off, but the Queen of Dance.
Needle changed to Elliptical AT120 knockoff. ‍:cool:
IMG_29042021_122029_(1406_x_2500_pixel).jpg
IMG_29042021_122003_(1781_x_2200_pixel).jpg
IMG_29042021_122054_(1288_x_2500_pixel).jpg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Good day. This was the 2nd Wings 76 release at Capital records I found a couple weeks ago. 3 record set in mint I tell ya mint condition with little pops for one buck at Goodwill. Lucky me. Comes with the original poster(pic two) also mint. The cover is a little pealed on the bottom, but hey who cares. Anyone got this?
IMG_02052021_161339_(1907_x_2500_pixel).jpg
IMG_02052021_161322_(1181_x_2100_pixel).jpg
IMG_02052021_161309_(1181_x_2100_pixel).jpg
IMG_02052021_161249_(2100_x_1181_pixel).jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Good day. This was the 2nd Wings 76 release at Capital records I found a couple weeks ago. 3 record set in mint I tell ya mint condition with little pops for one buck at Goodwill. Lucky me. Comes with the original poster(pic two) also mint. The cover is a little pealed on the bottom, but hey who cares. Anyone got this?
Don't have that one but I like the track list. Great find.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis