What VINYL ONLY Are Ya Listening To? Thread! ;)

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
from the album cover notes: "On March 25, 1962, Ella Fitzgerald returned to Berlin, the scene of one of her greatest recording triumphs - the Grammy Award-winning 'Mack the Knife: Ella In Berlin'. What wasn't known, until now, is that this sublime concert was recorded and that the tapes remained sealed, unopened in their box for 58 years."

I started listening to this 2 record set today, Monday.

IMG_3304.JPG

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Peter Green With Nigel Watson "The Robert Johnson Songbook" on 180gm vinyl. Green did a remarkable job interpreting Johnson's work. The album production is top notch being very quiet between tracks and good dynamics during the song. I highly recommend it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I was somewhat serious, have been curious for a while what the weight of the vinyl was, since we never paid attention back in the day that I remember as to what they weighed :) They ranged between 113-118 g, and it was the lightest one that had the least surface noise....(Dark Continent).

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
FWIW I was somewhat serious, have been curious for a while what the weight of the vinyl was, since we never paid attention back in the day that I remember as to what they weighed :) They ranged between 113-118 g, and it was the lightest one that had the least surface noise....(Dark Continent).
interesting that you say that for some of my A&M pressings from 45 plus years ago on the lighter weight are also incredibly quiet

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
interesting that you say that for some of my A&M pressings from 45 plus years ago on the lighter weight are also incredibly quiet
Probably about the quality of the vinyl itself? Or the care in pressing? Dunno. I did get a 180g Van Morrison record from Wolfgang's Music for free a number of years back, and it wasn't impressive at all as far as surface noise.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
no argument for I've had a fair share 'audiophile' 180 gram pressings that were far from what I'd call stellar

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
while this 3 Lp set is out of print(got mine years back) it is without question one of the finest in my collection ...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I dont think vinyl weight does anything to determine the sound quality of a record. It just feels sturdier and nicer than the thinner vinyl and less likely to warp. Most of my vinyl is the lighter stuff as well and it sounds just as good as some the better produced 180gm vinyl.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Monday morning, Chet Baker Plays the Best of Lerner & Loewe, Riverside Stereo, originally recorded July 21 & 22, 1959 , NYC
Chet Baker-trumpet, Herbie Mann-flute, Zoot Sims-alto & tenor sax, Pepper Adams-baritone sax, Bill Evans & Bob Corwin-piano, Earl May-bass, Clifford Jarvis-drums
IMG_3327.JPG

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Tuesday afternoon jazz! "Song For My Father" Horace Silver Quintet.
Originally released 1964, Blue Note Records

IMG_3329.JPG

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That was one of the first LPs that I owned. Loved Knights in White Satin and Tuesday Afternoon. Sadly the condition leaves something to be desired so I could use a new copy.

Anything by Gabriel gets a thumbs up. :)

And to stay on topic, last vinyl I spun was Rush - Hemispheres on limited edition red vinyl.
Yeah my digital version of Days of Future Passed plays much cleaner, but sometimes that nostalgic surface noise has a place :) But considering I've had it for 50 years of use it isn't horrible otoh....

Mostly a fan of Gabriel post-Genesis myself, but that's because I really didn't know much about him until I had to meet him to clear thru Customs a synthesizer he carried in his lap on a flight from London to LA, very nice guy. I actually knew more about the music of the guy he was with at the time, Larry Fast of Synergy. I became a fan fairly quickly of Mr Gabriel, tho.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Spun after learning of Shock G's shocking -- no pun intended, really -- death:

Digital Underground – The Humpty Dance (1989, Vinyl) - Discogs

Digital Underground ‎– The Humpty Dance - VG+ 12 Single Record 1989 T–  Shuga Records
DIGITAL UNDERGROUND - The Humpty Dance - Tommy Boy 12 Vinyl - £1.99 |  PicClick UK
Vintage Rare Digital Underground “the humpty dance “... - Depop

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis