What upconverting DVD player to purchase

J

Jay

Junior Audioholic
Originally I was set on getting one of the OPPO's but after reading the review I am concerned that the sound quality will be a problem. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I do not want to spend a lot of money but willing to pay several hundred dollars for a decent player.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
Wait for the review on Oppo's new 981. First of all it's built on the 971 platform so video will be super, its has hdmi, and is sacd capable. It should prove to be very interesting on seeing how it performs. I posted a thread back this summer about having spoken with Oppo concerning a player made in the color black. Well, the new 981 is black and I am anxious to hear more about it. If the music quality is improved it will be a no brainer purchase choice!

majorloser

majorloser

The new Oppo 981 will offer 1080p. Unless you have a display that's native 1080p I don't know if it will be worth the wait. As I look at it, an upconverting DVD player is a stop gap player till the HD format wars are over. Then we'll buy the appropriate deck. That being said, I wouldn't waste a lot of money on an upconverting DVD player.

My $0.02 :)

M

mailman23

Audioholic Intern
I have a friend that had the oppo modified.That will also take care of the sound issue.A modded oppo was recently taken to the rocky mountain electronics show where 19 out of 20 said it sounded better than a 14000 dollar player.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
mailman23 said:
I have a friend that had the oppo modified.That will also take care of the sound issue.A modded oppo was recently taken to the rocky mountain electronics show where 19 out of 20 said it sounded better than a 14000 dollar player.
I've heard about those comparison as well. The bottom line is oppo is that good and just like everything else that's exceptional and won't break the bank people try to find its faults. So IMHO there really is nothing out there that can rivial it for less then $600.00 and lots of dvd player that cost a fortune are bought up by people whom pay for bragging rights and have more money then brains:p

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Oppo Sound

You will use a digital optical or coax connection for DVD audio so the "sound" of the oppo is not an issue. You can also use HDMI to carry HD-DVD and SACD signals (970 only) from the DVD to a compatable receiver (HDMI 1.1 or 1.2).
The quality of the Oppo's D/A converters come into play when you use the analog outputs for DVD-A and SACD.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
mailman23 said:
Could you be more specific about the "mods"? What was done and how? Thanks.

AccessGuy

AccessGuy

Audioholic Intern
Oppo 981 Review and Forum on

mnnc said:
Wait for the review on Oppo's new 981. First of all it's built on the 971 platform so video will be super, its has hdmi, and is sacd capable. It should prove to be very interesting on seeing how it performs. I posted a thread back this summer about having spoken with Oppo concerning a player made in the color black. Well, the new 981 is black and I am anxious to hear more about it. If the music quality is improved it will be a no brainer purchase choice!
While waiting for Audioholics review, you can check out the review at http://techdigs.net/content/view/131/42/
which also has its own forum of questions and answers regarding this unit. Quite informative!

Charles

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
This is a very interesting thread to me, because of my recent wanting of a new DVD player. Im kinda torn on spending the cash for a real nice player (Id love to have the Denon DVD-3930CI) or just get a cheaper, quality one. Im kinda thinking along the same lines as what some people have mentioned, and getting a cheaper upconverting player and wait for the HD-Wars to be over. Now I currently have a Integra DPS-5.5 and was wondering how the new oppo will compare to what I have. Im sure the picture quality will be better seeing as how mine now is only 480p, but what about sound? I use a optical coax from my player to my reciever, and will probably do the same on the new one. Does that mean in a nutshell that my Reciever is actually doing the decoding? Meaning that no matter what player I have the sound would be the same? Sorry for all the questions but I really dont know that much about DVD players.

Thanks,
Sean

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Rowdy S13 said:
This is a very interesting thread to me, because of my recent wanting of a new DVD player. Im kinda torn on spending the cash for a real nice player (Id love to have the Denon DVD-3930CI) or just get a cheaper, quality one. Im kinda thinking along the same lines as what some people have mentioned, and getting a cheaper upconverting player and wait for the HD-Wars to be over. Now I currently have a Integra DPS-5.5 and was wondering how the new oppo will compare to what I have. Im sure the picture quality will be better seeing as how mine now is only 480p, but what about sound? I use a optical coax from my player to my reciever, and will probably do the same on the new one. Does that mean in a nutshell that my Reciever is actually doing the decoding? Meaning that no matter what player I have the sound would be the same? Sorry for all the questions but I really dont know that much about DVD players.

Thanks,
Sean
Yes, the receiver does the decoding with a digital connection from the DVD play so the audio will be pretty much the same regardless of which DVD player you use.

I am not sure about the video part except that my understanding is that using a digital connection from the DVD player to your display, the 480i issue is moot. In any case I don't think you can buy a 480i DVD player if you wanted to. My $59 panasonic has 480p.

Nick

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Nick250 said:
Yes, the receiver does the decoding with a digital connection from the DVD play so the audio will be pretty much the same regardless of which DVD player you use.

I am not sure about the video part except that my understanding is that using a digital connection from the DVD player to your display, the 480i issue is moot. In any case I don't think you can buy a 480i DVD player if you wanted to. My $59 panasonic has 480p.

Nick
Well that perty much clinched buying the oppo then. I was only worried about the sound quality really. The video, I know the oppo upconverts to 1080p so, obviously its gonna be better than my current 480p player. But thanks for your input.

Sean

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Rowdy S13 The video said:
It may well better than your current dvd player but not necessarily because it upconverts to 1080p. The video on a DVD is 480i. A progressive scan dvd player deinterlaces it to 480p. If the player doesn't upconvert then the TV will scale from 480p to 1080p (if it is a 1080p native resolution tv). So does the TV or the Oppo do the conversion better?

You just have an original low resolution image blown up to a much larger size regardless of whether the dvd player, receiver, or TV does the scaling.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis