What Tool Do I Need For This?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, Craftsman was pretty much "the only game in town" (or state) before the big boxes came.
I remember hours of pouring over their catalog (tool specialty), which was actually pretty educational in itself (figuring out why you would need such a tool or how it worked)!
Earlier this week in Home Depot I saw a "holiday special" Husky 1/4" and 3/8" socket set for $29 and reflected that it would have cost something like $79 from Sears in 1976 dollars!!!
On the one hand, Sears pretty much had a monopoly and I suspect made a very generous profit off of tool sales. On the other, the tools were made in the US providing sustainable jobs.
I'm waiting for a good alternate history novel where Ross Perot was the first businessman elected president. He was skewered by the two party system portraying him as deranged, but looking back, a lot of what he said made good sense. Not sure he would have been better than who was elected (I don't remember who he ran against), but it would be fun to read a "what if" novel by someone thoughtful about it!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, Craftsman was pretty much "the only game in town" (or state) before the big boxes came.
Ahh, the good old days! Craftsman hand tools were made in the USA and were very good. At first their electric power tools were also made in the USA. I still use a Craftsman non-battery powered drill that is more than 25 years old. Later those the cheaper electric power Craftsman tools, probably made in China, had a negative effect on what was a good name.
I'm waiting for a good alternate history novel where Ross Perot was the first businessman elected president. He was skewered by the two party system portraying him as deranged, but looking back, a lot of what he said made good sense. Not sure he would have been better than who was elected (I don't remember who he ran against), but it would be fun to read a "what if" novel by someone thoughtful about it!
Reading from Wikipedia, Ross Perot ran for president in 1992 as an independent against George HW Bush (the GOP incumbent) and Bill Clinton (Democrat). Perot got 19% of the popular vote, won no states, but split the GOP vote, probably allowing Clinton's win.

Perot came across as kind of a flake. He didn't help himself by withdrawing from the campaign in July and re-entering in October. In his favor, he wanted to end the outsourcing of manufacturing and jobs, and supported direct elections instead of the electoral college. Both are things most Americans would like to see happen.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I think the tool you need is called a lie. Throw those in a nearby dumpster and tell Bonnie there was an accident. Then decide on a lamp budget and we'll all steer you into some modern nuevo styled lamps that you just unwrap and plug in.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I think the tool you need is called a lie. Throw those in a nearby dumpster and tell Bonnie there was an accident. Then decide on a lamp budget and we'll all steer you into some modern nuevo styled lamps that you just unwrap and plug in.
The lamp is all done, so it's too late to trash it and lie. I did the next best thing, I exaggerated how hard it was to fix all the Italian mistakes it had. I considered limping and showing her the blisters I got, but held off on that.

But I did make sure she understands that she owes me. Of course, she probably won't easily forget that I stashed it in the closet all these years. But I think I scored a few points in the exchange.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The lamp is all done, so it's too late to trash it and lie. I did the next best thing, I exaggerated how hard it was to fix all the Italian mistakes it had. I considered limping and showing her the blisters I got, but held off on that.

But I did make sure she understands that she owes me. Of course, she probably won't easily forget that I stashed it in the closet all these years. But I think I scored a few points in the exchange.
I think an eye patch would have helped.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis