What Tool Do I Need For This?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Happy New Year to everyone! Some long time AH readers may remember Steam Vent posts in the past titled "What Grinds My Gears". I've always enjoyed reading them, and posted a few myself. This isn't quite at that level, but it's about something that's bugged me recently. I'll call it, "What Tool Do I Need For This?"

A number of years ago when my wife was in Italy, she bought a ceramic vase that was made into a lamp. It came wired, but had an Italian electric plug, took some unknown type of light bulb, and could only accept European lamp shades.

I figured replacing all the electrical parts with standard American lamp parts would be easier than dealing one-by-one with the plug, the light bulb, and lamp shade. But I didn't do anything about it. Instead, I stashed it in the closet, hoping the closet elves would fix it for me. It remained there – untouched – until two weeks ago, when my wife found it. I had to go get one of those DIY lamp wiring kits. I tried consoling myself by thinking, how hard could this be?

Here's the kit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RQRYF2E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was easy, except for just one step. This step required a simple tool, but I don't know a name for it, nor do I know what it looks like. I'll try and describe the problem.

First, I screwed the 2½" long threaded 1/8ip pipe (I know, it’s called threaded nipple, but it’s easier to say pipe) to the base of the switch housing (2nd from the bottom of the right column of parts in the photo). Then I inserted the harp holder and a rubber washer onto the pipe below the switch housing, and dropped it through the hole in the top of lamp vase.

Next I put a hex nut (threaded to fit the pipe) over the wire, and ran the wire up through the bottom of the ceramic vase, through the pipe, and out the top. I thought that hex nut would be easy to thread and tighten because it took a ½” nut driver. That's where I ran into the problem. It didn't require any force, tightening the nut with unaided fingers would work – if I could only reach it. The lamp vase was too long for me to use any tool I had, and the opening at the bottom was too small for my hand to get in to reach the nut.

No open-end wrench would work because the hollow 2½" long pipe had the wire coming out of it, getting in the way. My open-end wrenches are flat, and this job required an open end wrench with a large off-set. Is there such a thing as a small off-set open-end nut driver?

I tried using a ½" socket wrench, but the pipe was too long and too wide for that short socket to reach very far. Again, that wire got in the way. My socket set has ¼" drive. Maybe if I had a much longer socket, like a spark plug wrench, or a socket with a drive larger than ¼", I might have been able to reach the nut. But I don’t have anything like that.

Eventually, after much frustration, I got the nut tightened by using a long flat bladed screw driver and some masking tape. I covered the blade with masking tape – sticky side out – and struggled to rotate that damn nut until it was tight. I must have taken me 15-20 minutes, and most of that time I was struggling to learn the right touch to get it to work at all.

I've spent some time looking at tools on Amazon and at Lowe's, but I can't find anything that might work. I doubt if I'll do another job like that anytime soon, but I'm curious and frustrated about What Tool Do I Need For This?

Any ideas?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to picture the lamp and dimensions...without a picture :)

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Would a oxygen sensor socket fit? Automotive.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Hard to picture the lamp and dimensions...without a picture :)
I tried taking a picture, but the bottom opening of the lamp is small enough to prevent getting a useful view inside. It's overall dimensions are similar to these:

Focus on these words "The lamp vase was too long for me to use any tool I had, and the opening at the bottom was too small for my hand to get in to reach the nut."

The flat bladed screw driver I did eventually use has a 6" long shaft. The lamp bottom hole did allow the screw driver handle to barely get in.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
In a Google Image search on "Oxygen sensor socket" I saw a number of interesting possibilities.
upload_2018-1-2_21-46-41.jpeg

I had previously thought a Crowfoot wrench might work (see above), but none of the ones I saw were small enough. I think I'd need one with ¼" drive, and all I saw were 3/8" or ½" drive, probably making it all too big for the hole in the lamp base.

Tools like that probably cost more than the lamp and all its parts.

Last edited:
P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Like this?
Yea along those lines. Not sure if the wire is impeding anything, thought of a socket with a slit if so. If the hole is too small maybe some long nose pliers but I would assume it would be difficult to get a good grip.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yea along those lines. Not sure if the wire is impeding anything, thought of a socket with a slit if so. If the hole is too small maybe some long nose pliers but I would assume it would be difficult to get a good grip.
Yes, the wire (18 gauge) gets in the way.

No needle nose pliers I have were long enough to work. It would need 6" long tips and a hinge that could operate in the narrow lamp base opening while opening the tips wide enough for the ½" nut.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I had the same problem with the next door neighbors lamp they had bought on their travels. I got a long threaded tube and welded the top nut to the pipe. I could have lock nutted two nuts, but the welder was handy. I then did the same on the lower end where I could easily put a wrench on it and get it really tight. Again you could use a couple of locked nuts on the lower end as well. Everything ended up nice and tight.

Lamps have unusual threads/diameters however, and I had to get the long threaded tube at a place in the Twin Cities that specializes in lamp repair. The trouble with those hardware kits is that they don't have long enough threaded tubes. In essence the problem is not the lack of a special tool, but the correct length of pipe.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I hate to say it but Harbor Freight has long @ss needle nose for cheap. Just please throw them away after you fix the lamp. That way they won't let you down when you need them to be 'good' needle nose.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm sure I'm missing something, but why couldn't you go ahead and nut pipe at both ends before passing the wire through it then attach the lamp socket/hardware on top?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was thinking (what I think mark was) why not get a longer nipple.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm sure I'm missing something, but why couldn't you go ahead and nut pipe at both ends before passing the wire through it then attach the lamp socket/hardware on top?
Attaching the switch housing on one end of the tube and the nut on the other end would prevent inserting it through the neck of the ceramic lamp.
The trouble with those (lamp) hardware kits is that they don't have long enough threaded tubes. In essence the problem is not the lack of a special tool, but the correct length of pipe.
I did find some 8, 10, or 12" long threaded tubes in the hardware store, but I didn't buy any of them. It would have been easy to start the nut on the longer tube, but I would still face the same problem of tightening it up to the inside of the neck of the lamp, where my hand could not reach. I didn't have the imagination to see how I could get around that problem. Still, your suggestion of using a longer tube has merit.

The exploded diagrams (below) show two ways to use a long threaded tube that require some extra parts that might be more easily available than a special tool. The first diagram shows a long threaded tube and a base that fits on the bottom of the lamp. My Italian lamp had no base.

The second diagram also shows a long threaded tube, plus two long sleeves that fit over it. That would allow me to thread the nut and tighten it without having to screw it up the full length of the tube. That would work! Thanks. Now, where can I find those sleeve tubes for the next lamp?

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I hate to say it but Harbor Freight has long @ss needle nose for cheap. Just please throw them away after you fix the lamp. That way they won't let you down when you need them to be 'good' needle nose.
I thought that somewhere I could find long @ss needle nose pliers, but I could never guess from a web page whether they would fit into that damn lamp and work. I wanted to touch & feel the tool before buying it. So I passed.

While I was at Lowe's looking at lamp parts and tools, I learned that sometime in the early spring Lowe's will start carrying Craftsman hand tools. I'll be happy if they are as good as the Craftsman hand tools that Sears carried for many years. Sears must be circling the drain.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Final thought (now that the lamp is already assembled). I should have bought a 6" or 8" long threaded tube, and assembled it from bottom up instead of from top down as I did:
  • First thread on a hex nut onto one end of the tube. Leave about ½" to 1" between the nut and one end of the tube. Place the tube up through the neck of the lamp vase and adjust the nut by trial & error until the tube extends a bit more than ¼" (give or take) above the lamp vase. With the longer tube, it would be easy to hold the tube while installing it.
  • Next attach all the parts (washers, harp holder, and lower half of switch housing) that sit above the lamp vase. Once done, the threaded tube should fit snugly.
  • Run the wire up the tube through the switch housing.
  • Wire the switch, and attach the rest of the switch housing and light bulb receptacle.
No special tools or extra parts are needed. If I had only thought of that before. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
While I was at Lowe's looking at lamp parts and tools, I learned that sometime in the early spring Lowe's will start carrying Craftsman hand tools. I'll be happy if they are as good as the Craftsman hand tools that Sears carried for many years. Sears must be circling the drain.
Interesting, I haven't bought a Craftsman tool in a long time. Don't know if they have maintained quality or not.
One curiosity is whether Lowes is becoming a distributor of Craftsman tool, or if Lowes bought the rights to the brand name and will use another manufacturer (probably the one than currently makes their Kobalt hand tools) to make tools. Honestly, I'm not so sure craftsman hand tools are any better than Kobalt or HD's Husky brand, or Stanley... all lifetime warrantied tools.
I have some of the old Craftsman clear handled tool where the plastic started breaking down, clouded over, and started smelling like foot-rot. They still work, but I have reached the point where I reflexively hold my breath when I open the drawer and let the stench out!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Interesting, I haven't bought a Craftsman tool in a long time. Don't know if they have maintained quality or not.
One curiosity is whether Lowes is becoming a distributor of Craftsman tool, or if Lowes bought the rights to the brand name and will use another manufacturer (probably the one than currently makes their Kobalt hand tools) to make tools. Honestly, I'm not so sure craftsman hand tools are any better than Kobalt or HD's Husky brand, or Stanley... all lifetime warrantied tools.
I have some of the old Craftsman clear handled tool where the plastic started breaking down, clouded over, and started smelling like foot-rot. They still work, but I have reached the point where I reflexively hold my breath when I open the drawer and let the stench out!
All those questions are good.

Yes, I've found Kobalt, Stanley, or Husky are very good. I just don't need to buy as many tools as when I was younger. The main reason why I fondly remember Craftsman was how the Sears store nearby me used a lot of floor space to display a lot of different tools. I may not have known just what tool I needed for a certain job, but if I took the time to explore all those tools, I could find just what I needed.

Of course, for my lamp job, I needed a better brain :rolleyes:.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis