What to use to clean screens?

B

bacon_eater

Audiophyte
You want to use a blue colored gel cleaning solution. Phillips makes a good one that's not expensive and it comes in a spray bottle with a special soft cloth. You can use it on all 3 types of TV's. I've been using it for years. Got it at Walmart for about $10. Whatever you do, don't buy the $25 Monster brand because it's basically the same thing.

N

NeverSeen

Audioholic
I use the $25 monster stuff. I've had one bottle for about 2 years now. I picked it up for like $10 or so when i worked at Ccity. Its in a blue spray bottle and came with a cloth. The stuff lasts forever as long as no one is putting thier hands all over your TV. I have a LCD projection hitachi with a matte finish screen.

And no... windex is not the best choice :). make sure whatever you use is made for electronics.

B

bacon_eater

Audiophyte
I use the $25 monster stuff. I've had one bottle for about 2 years now. I picked it up for like $10 or so when i worked at Ccity. Its in a blue spray bottle and came with a cloth. The stuff lasts forever as long as no one is putting thier hands all over your TV. I have a LCD projection hitachi with a matte finish screen.

And no... windex is not the best choice :). make sure whatever you use is made for electronics.
Even with a 65 inch DLP, and 2 LCD display I've used less than 1/8 of the bottle in 3 yrs.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Just make your own stuff. Google it and it will tell you something like mixing water and another 2-3$ bottle of something-bought-at-the-pharmacy.

That and make SURE you use a soft cloth.

Shame on me for telling you that cuz I've had my TV for a year now and I haven't cleaned the big hand marks all over from installing it. :(

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Just make your own stuff. Google it and it will tell you something like mixing water and another 2-3$ bottle of something-bought-at-the-pharmacy.

That and make SURE you use a soft cloth.

Shame on me for telling you that cuz I've had my TV for a year now and I haven't cleaned the big hand marks all over from installing it. :(
Well, the thread is not just for me. I listed all three displays(-projectors:D), so we could have some good information posted for everyone.;)

I have read 50% rubbing alcohol to 50% distilled water for DLP.

I have read 50% vinegar to 50% distilled water for LCD.

T

Tyreman

Audioholic Intern
I've been using a 10ml iso99 alcohol(pharmacy) with distilled water to the spray container I have.
I forget the volume of the container I am using(had originally sized it) but its maybe couple cups of distilled.
cleans eyeglasses, monitors lcd inclusive.
never a problem

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Well it's a REALLY soft tissue. I'm not worried about scratch marks at all :) It's simple and easy enough to use, gets rid of stains/prints and does no harm that I can see.

I'm sold. :)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I've read the manuals for a lot of TVs while deciding on which to buy. Every single one of them says to use nothing but a soft lint-free cloth - like the microfiber cloths you can find just about anywhere.

If you do use one of the cleaning kits that are supposed to be safe, never spray it directly on the screen. Spray it on the cloth and then wipe the screen.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
If you opt for a spray - home-brew or commercial cleaner - never spray it directly on the screen as it could run down the screen and into the electronics. First wipe off any accumulated loose dust with a very, VERY soft lint-free cloth and then lightly spray your cleaner on another clean cloth and wipe off the rest.

Unless you have fingerprints from little ones - distilled water alone should remove dust without any possibly harmful additives to the finish of your screen. If there are smokers in your household add a 10% solution of white vinegar to your distilled water.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you for not smoking.:mad:;)
I smoke but only in my office while im at home & i installed a powered ceiling vent to get rid of the smoke ,never smoke in the rest of the house & especially around the systems or furniture,filthy habit it is.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I smoke but only in my office while im at home & i installed a powered ceiling vent to get rid of the smoke ,never smoke in the rest of the house & especially around the systems or furniture,filthy habit it is.
I smoked for 20 years, and quit cold turkey.:eek: I started using my debit card for gas at the pump, and stopped going inside the store. It worked, with a lot of will power.:p

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
,filthy habit it is.
That it certainly is.....
Offtopic; I smoked for 15 years, was in hospital for a year (so clearly quit), but SADLY picked it back up a year after out of the hospital.
Very nasty habit (and quite expensive).:mad:

Back on topic.;
I would recommend this thread as a sticky. Thanks for bringing it up Zumbo.;)
With my LCD screens, I use no liquid, just a lint free cloth (with very minimal hand pressure).
For the (front) projection screen, I use just a light mixture of dish soap and water with a well ringed out cloth.

D

DavidG

Junior Audioholic
Just be careful when using cleaners or any liquid to clean your screen, even if sprayed onto a cloth. Many tv screens have an anti-glare film on the screen that can be removed over time if using liquid cleaners to remove dust, fingerprints, etc. It will become difficult to view your screen when a glare shows up because the anti-glare film was worn off by using a cleaner. I would check your users manual for your tv on the recommended way to clean your screen.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Just be careful when using cleaners or any liquid to clean your screen, even if sprayed onto a cloth. Many tv screens have an anti-glare film on the screen that can be removed over time if using liquid cleaners to remove dust, fingerprints, etc. It will become difficult to view your screen when a glare shows up because the anti-glare film was worn off by using a cleaner. I would check your users manual for your tv on the recommended way to clean your screen.
Then I say cleaner for the filthy fingerprints and then distilled water for dust. Should be worth the 25$ for a couple of years. I have no kids :p

C

cmb5286

Junior Audioholic
i agree with a lot of people here
the monster cleaning solution works very well IMHO
plus the microfiber cloth they give works awesome with other things as well lke glasses and whatnot

N

NapaDRB

Junior Audioholic
Zumbo, congratulations on quitting smoking.

Although I have always used windex on my current TV I wanted to agree with MDS, In reading the owners manual for the new TV (pioneer) I am going to buy it says to use only a dry microfiber towel. There was a mention in a thread on AVS about some guy who had a problem using the Monster cleaning kit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis