What speed, what does it cost and who

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
I’d agree with those distances if it were an entirely passive network after the node, which is the next step here. But with an active network that distance can be quite a lot further.

There is definitely a bandwidth advantage with FTTP within the ISPs network, especially in the upstream. It’ll still be subject to the same congestion issues on the internet at large as any other type of connection. It might be a different story if any individual ISP owned and maintained every bit of the network from the demarc on the house to the destination server. That just isn’t the case.
Absolutely. I liked the earlier analogy of what happens to utility services if everyone used them to the max at the same time.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Where are you at that there’s a 300/40 option? The o my options for upload here are 5/15/25. 5 for internet essentials, 15 for everything short of 1gig and 25 for 1gig
South Florida comcast business

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Provides it? Netflix or Apple or who?

For me it’s ATT, 50Megs and $70 per month in the Capital of Silicon Valley.
I have AT&T 1,000-Mbps (fiberoptic from street into house) for $80 per month for life.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have AT&T 1,000-Mbps (fiberoptic from street into house) for $80 per month for life.
We have ATT 10000 as well, same type connection.

Ethernet is pretty good...around 800-850 down

Wifi…iffy, some devices get 350-400 down, others get 220ish at best.

100% streaming household...the sunroom TV (wifi) is a little jittery at times, but the price...1 yr teaser $80 less $10 for 12 mos, less $10 for bundling. Thereafter $80 less $10 for bundling mobile.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We have ATT 10000 as well, same type connection.

Ethernet is pretty good...around 800-850 down

Wifi…iffy, some devices get 350-400 down, others get 220ish at best.

100% streaming household...the sunroom TV (wifi) is a little jittery at times, but the price...1 yr teaser $80 less $10 for 12 mos, less $10 for bundling. Thereafter $80 less $10 for bundling mobile.
Yeah, I love AT&T Giga-Power. 1000% better than what I was getting from Cox Cable in terms of speed, service, and price. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
MAYBE SOMEDAY we’ll get it here in the CAPITAL OF SILICON VALLEY.
Yeah, that makes no sense that Silicon Valley would not have AT&T Giga-Power, yet little-nowhere OKC got Giga-Power right out of the gate. Of course, I'm not complaining. :D

OKC will also probably be getting the new 5G Cellular before Silicon Valley. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Really? Over broadband?
I think I was paying about $80 after all the taxes and fees for Cox 50 or 75 Mbps.

Not only that, but I had to call Cox about once or twice a month because my Internet kept on going offline somehow. Changed new modem and router. Nothing helped.

They always give you a decent price the first year or 2, then jack up the price. Then when I called Cox to ask if they would lower the price since AT&T was offering me $80/mo (includes all tax/fees) for 1,000 Mbps, Cox didn't care.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
GIG pricing for that seems too good to be true. I just got fiber offer from AT&T 1mbs for $40 with bundle. I need upload more importantly and no residential goes above 20mbs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
GIG pricing for that seems too good to be true. I just got fiber offer from AT&T 1mbs for $40 with bundle. I need upload more importantly and no residential goes above 20mbs.
I've been getting Giga-Power for over 2 years now for $80/mo. No other fees or taxes or anything. I was told the price would be permanent.

Actually, as 2Channel mentioned, some regions offer $10 + $10 discounts for the first one or 2 years.

Sealman

Sealman

Junior Audioholic
Southcentral Illinois here. Nearest large city is STL at 90ish miles.

Newwave with 50 down and 5 up for 70.00.

5 years ago 20 down was the max available at 70.00 a month! Also literally 3 blocks away from me my mothers house can only get a max of 10 down a 1-2 up for 60.00 from a different company.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, that makes no sense that Silicon Valley would not have AT&T Giga-Power, yet little-nowhere OKC got Giga-Power right out of the gate. Of course, I'm not complaining. :D

OKC will also probably be getting the new 5G Cellular before Silicon Valley. :D
Guess that’s the off-set for ...no snow or tornadoes or BIG bugs. :cool::cool:

It’s 70 degrees today!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think I was paying about $80 after all the taxes and fees for Cox 50 or 75 Mbps.

Not only that, but I had to call Cox about once or twice a month because my Internet kept on going offline somehow. Changed new modem and router. Nothing helped.

They always give you a decent price the first year or 2, then jack up the price. Then when I called Cox to ask if they would lower the price since AT&T was offering me $80/mo (includes all tax/fees) for 1,000 Mbps, Cox didn't care.
While Comcast did battle for the biz, but the best they offered was the new account promo which I started out with. They waited until after I was gone for a management level retention person to contact me...we will give you our fastest internet available in your area, (100 mbps) for $70 a mo and Xfinity streaming bundle for free. That was a fair deal because I do pay youtubetv $40 a mo making my total cost to stream and roughly $110.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis