What speed, what does it cost and who

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Provides it? Netflix or Apple or who?

For me it’s ATT, 50Megs and $70 per month in the Capital of Silicon Valley.

B

Brettc

Audioholic
I’ve read that 15 or 20 would work but I pay $70 also for fiber network 100 up 100 downloads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
15 or 20 may work, but if the ISP's equipment is as bad as Spectrum and ATT provide, even a higher speed won't help if the device needs more and it can only connect via WiFi. I use Spectrum and hard-wired, my computer speed tests peg the needle immediately- I pay $45/month for 200Mbps. WiFi- I sometimes see 50Mbps with my phone, usually worse. I have used the same app to test speed in other places and seen almost 400Mbps. My Roku (one is a box, one is a stick) units see 8Mbps, after resetting the network and rebooting and it never shows higher speeds, even though they're not far from the router that's in the middle of my place.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
No issues with Spectrum or their included modem. Router is a Netgear Orbi RBK50.

400/20 for 39.99/mo for two years.

Last edited:
Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have Cox 100Mbps for $60 per month but it's a 2-year promo that ends in September. It's internet only though. I'll see what specials are available when the time comes. I bought my own cable modem.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was paying Comcast $100 for 200 and getting around 240.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I'm paying Cox about $100 for 300 mbps of download speed. This is what I typically get with a wireless connection. Thankfully my A/V gear is hardwired to the router.

Steaming Netflix , Vudu, Pandora, Sirius, Net Radio is a breeze and great quality.

Internet speed.PNG

Last edited:
nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Cox cable here in Hampton Roads area. Paying $105.00 for a Gigabit connection. Average around 980 down and 36 up. I miss fiber.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm 300 down 40up comcast 125 with tax. Att claims they will match speed at 85. Unless your in a condominium, midwest states that are wide open, or remote, speeds should never matter.

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
I'm 300 down 40up comcast 125 with tax. Att claims they will match speed at 85. Unless your in a condominium, midwest states that are wide open, or remote, speeds should never matter.
Where are you at that there’s a 300/40 option? The o my options for upload here are 5/15/25. 5 for internet essentials, 15 for everything short of 1gig and 25 for 1gig

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I was paying Comcast $100 for 200 and getting around 240.
Yes, it seems they give a 20% bonus most of the time. Recently they seem to have issues, at least on my branch of their cable, it is great for several seconds on the test, then decreases to less than half.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Cox cable here in Hampton Roads area. Paying $105.00 for a Gigabit connection. Average around 980 down and 36 up. I miss fiber.
Interesting. Why do they throttle the upload unless you have ATT fiber when it is same as down speed.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

My good buddy has ATT fiber. 100 down, 100 up. Don't know what he pays.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, it seems they give a 20% bonus most of the time. Recently they seem to have issues, at least on my branch of their cable, it is great for several seconds on the test, then decreases to less than half.
They bought or somehow fund Ookla, so I often suspect their numbers are fudged, probably only while you are checking speed lol.

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
They bought or somehow fund Ookla, so I often suspect their numbers are fudged, probably only while you are checking speed lol.
The modems are actually overprovisioned to run faster than the advertised speed. They do that so when there’s an issue with the network you’ll still get the speed you pay for. At least for the download speed, upload isn’t set up that way. All speed tiers have 15%-25% extra except the 1gig. That’ll run between 940-965mbps even when everything is perfect, limitation of gigabit lan.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The modems are actually overprovisioned to run faster than the advertised speed. They do that so when there’s an issue with the network you’ll still get the speed you pay for. At least for the download speed, upload isn’t set up that way. All speed tiers have 15%-25% extra except the 1gig. That’ll run between 940-965mbps even when everything is perfect, limitation of gigabit lan.
All of them or theirs? I have never used Comcast's modem. Mine is capable of speeds well in excess of what they provide.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis