What speakers to add on to my system?

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
I have sm55 definitive fronts, pro center 1000 center, sr9040 bipolar surrounds, and pro sub 1000. I was looking to upgrade the center and add speakers for 7.1 or Atmos. I have an x1400h Denon receiver that allows for 7.1 or 5.1.2. I am also interested in possibly getting towers for the fronts, but don’t know what I would do with the the sm55s and sr9040s. What sort of setup would you recommend if I kept these speakers in the mix as well as if the towers didn’t happen what you add in general.
Thanks for any help.
-Kyle Braunlich

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Replacing the center is probably the best move.
But I’d also get another Pro Sub 1000 or just replace it with a better one from the likes of HSU or Rythmik.

However if you go with the tower idea, I’d recommend you get something like the 9020X’s with the Atmos modules and move your SM55’s to your bedroom or sell them. So that way you can have Atmos. Atmos is pretty amazing.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
Replacing the center is probably the best move.
But I’d also get another Pro Sub 1000 or just replace it with a better one from the likes of HSU or Rythmik.

However if you go with the tower idea, I’d recommend you get something like the 9020X’s with the Atmos modules and move your SM55’s to your bedroom or sell them. So that way you can have Atmos. Atmos is pretty amazing.
Let’s say I do the center upgrade. What speakers would you recommend for Atmos and what configuration.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What sort of setup would you recommend if I kept these speakers in the mix as well as if the towers didn’t happen what you add in general.
I used to own all-DefTech setup. Then I sold them all. :D

Regardless of which speakers you own, I think the best setup will be with Atmos - like 5.1.2 or 5.1.4, etc. The reason is not so much about the actual BluRay movies with Atmos. When you have something like 5.1.2 and the AVR with Atmos/DTSX, you can turn anything (even 2CH sources) into something that sounds like Atmos/DTSX using DTS NeuralX.

Sometimes I watch contents (like TV shows) that only have 2Ch. NeuralX does an excellent job turning the 2Ch into 5.1.4.

I also listen to 2Ch CD music with NeuralX. They sound better than any SACD/DVD-A I've ever owned (I don't miss them at all).

As for in-ceiling speakers vs. wall speakers that are high up to the ceiling level vs add-on modules placed atop the speakers?

In-ceiling speakers would be best.

Second best would be wall-speakers mounted high up to the ceiling level pointing down.

I would not recommend any modules that try to bounce sound up to the ceiling.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
I used to own all-DefTech setup. Then I sold them all. :D

Regardless of which speakers you own, I think the best setup will be with Atmos - like 5.1.2 or 5.1.4, etc. The reason is not so much about the actual BluRay movies with Atmos. When you have something like 5.1.2 and the AVR with Atmos/DTSX, you can turn anything (even 2CH sources) into something that sounds like Atmos/DTSX using DTS NeuralX.

Sometimes I watch contents (like TV shows) that only have 2Ch. NeuralX does an excellent job turning the 2Ch into 5.1.4.

I also listen to 2Ch CD music with NeuralX. They sound better than any SACD/DVD-A I've ever owned (I don't miss them at all).

As for in-ceiling speakers vs. wall speakers that are high up to the ceiling level vs add-on modules placed atop the speakers?

In-ceiling speakers would be best.

Second best would be wall-speakers mounted high up to the ceiling level pointing down.

I would not recommend any modules that try to bounce sound up to the ceiling.
Thanks for the reply. Could you recommend a definitve speaker that would be good for ceiling or front height? I don’t care if they are actual in ceiling speakers, I want the best performance. So if pro monitor 1000’s would be good I could you them. Also, I plan to upgrade my center, would the pro center 1000 be a good Atmos speaker?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the reply. Could you recommend a definitve speaker that would be good for ceiling or front height? I don’t care if they are actual in ceiling speakers, I want the best performance. So if pro monitor 1000’s would be good I could you them. Also, I plan to upgrade my center, would the pro center 1000 be a good Atmos speaker?
I think the Pro Monitor 1000 would work. Mount them as high up the wall as possible (at ceiling level).

Any speaker that sounds great to you will be a good Atmos speaker.

So if you feel the Center 1000 sounds great, then it's good.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
I think the Pro Monitor 1000 would work. Mount them as high up the wall as possible (at ceiling level).

Any speaker that sounds great to you will be a good Atmos speaker.

So if you feel the Center 1000 sounds great, then it's good.
Thanks again. But one more question. If I get towers and use the sm55 as surround, would the sr 9040 be good for Atmos. I have tried to find stuff on bipolar speakers as Atmos and there’s not much on it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks again. But one more question. If I get towers and use the sm55 as surround, would the sr 9040 be good for Atmos. I have tried to find stuff on bipolar speakers as Atmos and there’s not much on it.
Do not use Bipoles as atmos speakers. You can use them as surrounds if your in a small room but do not use them for atmos. Also, are you mounting them on the ceiling? I think that would be better than high on the sides, unless that’s all you got.

Also, I wouldn’t recommend a center as an atmos speaker either. You want a speaker with wide dispersion and I don’t think a center would do that very well. Horizontal and vertical dispersion on a center channel speaker are very different I believe.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
Do not use Bipoles as atmos speakers. You can use them as surrounds if your in a small room but do not use them for atmos. Also, are you mounting them on the ceiling? I think that would be better than high on the sides, unless that’s all you got.

Also, I wouldn’t recommend a center as an atmos speaker either. You want a speaker with wide dispersion and I don’t think a center would do that very well. Horizontal and vertical dispersion on a center channel speaker are very different I believe.
Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis