What Size Screen or Television Do I Need?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
37" works for me in my small studio apt. 7 feet away from my couch perfect-O.:D

C

CitationX

Audiophyte
Big yes, but which type ( flatscreen )?

I am new to posting here, used the reviews for years though. I run all plasma in my house, the biggest reason is that I cannot stand the "fake" effect the LCD OEMs are doing to make their TV catch up in terms of motion. If you have a bright room however, LCD/LED are probably the right choice. Glare is always worse on Plasma, and Plasma will never really (in general) get there to match the brightness of LCDs.

Also, if you are going larger than 46" you will be hard pressed to find a better value than Plasma. Do your research - forums like this, Consumer Reports, etc, etc all have articles on Plasma/LCD. Be a skeptic though, there are a TON of LCD OEMs and only a few plasma. The result, many articles bias towards LCD.

( Just joined and first thread I'm reading, yet here I am with my $ .02, promise to be more restrained..)

Agreed & IMHO correct. LCDs have an initial WOW factor since they are brighter and look more vibrant, but is it 'real' ? Ultimately that bit of 'neon' coloration, the motion smearing and the 'center seat' viewing issue eventually wear on you. Took me 3 days before I returned the one I bought. I have 3 plasmas, maybe just lucky, but glare not an issue with any placement. But the ( more ) natural colors, the screen refresh ( sports ) the black levels for depth of image ( movies ) tilts to the plasma, esp. for the long haul.

J

Jack61

Audiophyte
8 feet 40-inch 50-inch 67-inch
So I errored a bit on the"big" size @ 8' w/60" screen.
...and the pictures rattle on the walls in the action shots.
Loving it.

I can sit as close as 4' and not see any pixels with this Plasma Samsung 3D HDTV
The wife likes 8 feet, so she wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

landonspop

Audioholic
Does 4K make a difference? I have had2 65'ers so not sure what 55" would feel like even at 2" closer.
I am a good 12" now.

CSnyder

CSnyder

Audiophyte
Great article! Yeah, sometimes it is not about the size you need. It is more about what size you want!

CSnyder

CSnyder

Audiophyte
I just realized this thread is already old. Anyway, good read.

A

aaro

Audiophyte
You must try the medium size screen with HD quality that give you better result.

R

Randy Hess

Enthusiast
I agree with the article, when I was 8 feet away from my old 50" tv it was just right. So when I moved into my new house, and was sitting 12 feet away, it seemed too small so I got a 73" tv, and it's just right. It's definitely a big tv, but it was a better option for me than going with a front projection setup. But it all comes down to personal preference, and budget. But for the money you can't really beat a DLP when it comes to screen size for your money.

I agree, It's all about viewer to screen distance. I can sit in front of my 27" computer display and it's a big screen!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree, It's all about viewer to screen distance. I can sit in front of my 27" computer display and it's a big screen!
Technically it's about viewing angle, which affected by both the distance and the display size.
The goal is to have image use most of your viewing range - ie: you could see left to the right edge to edge without turning your head, but not much more besides that

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While it is about viewing angle, most people just don't think about that at all, and certainly won't calculate it. As well, while THX has come up with viewing angles for movie viewing, it isn't the same once you are in a family room, which may have much more social interaction where a TV should enhance, but not necessarily dominate, the environment.

In home theater, where the screen is 100% about creating the experience, I have found that most viewers have 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. This is across the board, with more people leaning towards larger, rather than smaller. So, for 10' of viewing, a 100" to 120" diagonal would be typical. But, that's cheap to create from front projection, and well out of the budget for a flat panel display and us mortal's budgets.

With flat panels, and normal family rooms, the size is almost always a 'bigger is better' reality with the most common complaint of TV purchasers being "I wish I had bought the next size up".

To that point, I had a client with a 70" TV that they had just purchased for their basement theater setup, and they were wondering what to put in the family room. I told them I was going to take their 70" TV and put it in their family room and take a 110" projection screen and put it in their basement. I told them to trust me and that they would thank me for that decision within a week. I was wrong. Before a couple days had passed they had already thanked me.

At 10' away, there is almost no situation where a 70"-80" TV isn't appropriate, acceptable, and good looking to almost all people. Once the shock of the size wears off, which only takes a few days, you start realizing that even that big 65" TV you bought, that you are sitting 12' away from, really isn't all that large, and maybe the 75" or 85" TV would have been the way to go.

Yes, it would have been.

* - 85" TV in my family room with couch at 12' and kitchen/eat-in area behind it. 161" front projection in basement.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
These days I'm working with a 39 sitting 6 feet from it in the living room and a 32 from 6 feet in the bedroom. And I am ok with it. A new 50 would let me upgrade both but from 6 feet I don't think going bigger would make any sense.
Dave

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
These days I'm working with a 39 sitting 6 feet from it in the living room and a 32 from 6 feet in the bedroom. And I am ok with it. A new 50 would let me upgrade both but from 6 feet I don't think going bigger would make any sense.
Dave
The bigger the better. I'm 60 at 11' and it's too small.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
The bigger the better. I'm 60 at 11' and it's too small.
Ok I upgraded to a smart 49 in the living room sitting about 6 feet from it and move the 39 into the bedroom to replace the 32. A 2 for 1 upgrade.:)

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I sit about 10 or 11 feet from a 65. Thinking of going 75 in the fall, wondering if they extra 10 inches will be a worthwhile improvement.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I sit about 10 or 11 feet from a 65. Thinking of going 75 in the fall, wondering if they extra 10 inches will be a worthwhile improvement.
TBH if your 65" TV is good and you aren't planning to move it to another location, I'd hold off. If you are planning to buy a new TV anyway, then I'd go for the bigger size.

I went from 65" to 70" and it was a noticeable difference at 12 feet.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So I basically should have an 80"+ screen. Right now I'm working with 58"...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis