What size room for home theater?

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I'm getting ready buy another house. It's pretty good size, but there's no dedicated theater room. So, wifey gave me the go ahead on having one built. Just want some input on what would be an ideal size (if there is one) in LxWxH. Eventually it will have a projection tv. Were probably doing a separate building from the home connected by a breezeway to keep down on noise in the house. I would like it to seat 6-8 comfortably, and maybe a wet bar in the rear, but not necessary. Also, is double sheet rock better than single? Lastly, I'm not sure exactly what they're called, but there basically subs built into the building structure. Are they a good thing vs a regular cubed powered sub?

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Projector/screen vs. Rear projection TV, big difference?

Rectangular footprint with no dimension a multiple of another. There are many factors involved to size a room based on individual specifications.
If going dedicated HT, sans wet bar, with a 120” wide screen, 25’ x 18’ x 10’ would be a nice size. Add 3’/4’ to the length if you want to implement a false screen wall with in-room speakers behind it.

You may be thinking of an infinite baffle sub, an excellent option if you have the space, and could be installed in the attic space. http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Double dry wall w/ Green Glue is one method of acoustic room isolation from sound getting in or out.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Rectangular footprint with no dimension a multiple of another.
This, basically. Make it a sealed room where air cannot escape. Use constrained layer damping in the wall construction to prevent energy from leaving the room. If you're really dedicated, get real time analysis equipment like a measurement microphone in order to determine the kind of in-room acoustic balance you are getting. You may have many bass issues which need may damping.

Past that, the factors which contribute IMO would be dictated by your budget. At the very least, you should factor in three or four subwoofers, three potent front speakers, and at least two lesser surround speakers. How dynamic and expensive these things need to be is dictated by your seating distance and room size.

A large theater room needs more powerful speakers, bigger subs a bigger projection screen, etc.

Personally I think something like 18 ft wide, 24 ft deep, and 12 ft high are good dimensions for a two-row theater room. Place the seats about 10 to 14 feet from the screen/speakers, place the side surrounds be the rear row of seats (or two rows of side surrounds running simulatenously beside each row) along the side walls, and rear surrounds along the rear wall. I wouldn't bother with "dipole" surrounds personally.

For a screen, I used to think that larger screens were ostentatious, and that anything that's diagonally half of your viewing distance is all you need, but i'm starting to rethink that. The increased resolution and clarity of a good 60" screen is definitely worth it, if the source material is there.

For projection screens, I would recommend going acoustically transparent like the seymour AV. This will allow you to make a false wall behind the screen to place speakers. It gives you a LOT more flexibility with the ever-important center channel.

I don't think rear projection TVs are worth it. Plasma TVs and Front Projectors all the way :)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I prefer a 20' wide x 30' length x 15' ceiling.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I should have clarified on the projector, def front projection.
I also want a dedicated equipment room, guessing I would build it behind the front wall. Right now I have a 7.1 setup, but would probably wire for a future upgrade, 11.x??
I love the thought of having in wall speakers, but am I going to sacrifice sound for atheistics?

S

SocyFisher

Enthusiast
I prefer a 20' wide x 30' length x 15' ceiling.
The size and the nature of the room would truly determine how you want your home theater experience would be. The bigger, the higher ceiling would be better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis