What should I do with my Sub?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think it's been asked before...
(several times)
Have you tried the subwoofer crawl?
I think it was mentioned, not sure if it was absorbed with all the posts that were being made at the time.

So... here's how to do a sub crawl!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed. Do the crawl(got the stupid watermelon crawl song in my head now lol)

Also, whether or not corners will work or not will depend on the room and it’s construction. Ryan’s had big problems with corner loading, with his narrow room and suspended floor. I have 3 corner loaded subs and am flat to about 14hz. My room is very large, and on concrete. So the only thing you can do is crawl it out.

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
Right now I have about 8' in cable. That let's me play around with the speaker in the front. There will be a projector screen on that wall soon so I don't want a sub blocking a large part of the screen. Once I get a much much longer cable I can experiment with the back or the room.

But I think I'm translating what your saying.. there are no remenconded zones. It's just put it everywhere and see?

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
Agreed. Do the crawl(got the stupid watermelon crawl song in my head now lol)

Also, whether or not corners will work or not will depend on the room and it’s construction. Ryan’s had big problems with corner loading, with his narrow room and suspended floor. I have 3 corner loaded subs and am flat to about 14hz. My room is very large, and on concrete. So the only thing you can do is crawl it out.
This room is say is on the larger size and is on concrete. The flooring is a rubber backed industrial carpet tile.

I did not do the crazy rubber sheeting sound treatment when I finished the room but I insulated every square inch the best I could before sheetrock.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right now I have about 8' in cable. That let's me play around with the speaker in the front. There will be a projector screen on that wall soon so I don't want a sub blocking a large part of the screen. Once I get a much much longer cable I can experiment with the back or the room.

But I think I'm translating what your saying.. there are no remenconded zones. It's just put it everywhere and see?
Easier to put the sub in your listening spot then put your ears around the room to see where response might be best....the sub crawl. Every room is it's own thing....you can model the room but no guarantees either (somewhat same for crawl). If you download RoomEQ Wizard you can use the room simulation feature without a measurement mic to see projected room modes....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Easier to put the sub in your listening spot then put your ears around the room to see where response might be best....the sub crawl. Every room is it's own thing....you can model the room but no guarantees either (somewhat same for crawl). If you download RoomEQ Wizard you can use the room simulation feature without a measurement mic to see projected room modes....
Yeah, the room sim... I monkeyed with it once and couldn't figure out a way to model a layout like mine, with vaulted ceilings and openings into a hallway and another room. I think that thing is pretty hit and miss, though would probably be more accurate for a single sealed room with flat ceilings.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, the room sim... I monkeyed with it once and couldn't figure out a way to model a layout like mine, with vaulted ceilings and openings into a hallway and another room. I think that thing is pretty hit and miss, though would probably be more accurate for a single sealed room with flat ceilings.
Same...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This room is say is on the larger size and is on concrete. The flooring is a rubber backed industrial carpet tile.

I did not do the crazy rubber sheeting sound treatment when I finished the room but I insulated every square inch the best I could before sheetrock.
So yeah. Concrete eats bass. Just a harsh reality. Suspended floors tend to act like a resonator, think of a drum head. I’m pretty sure your in wall insulation is doin more for the rest of the house than the “wall”. I know you put a lot into that, and it hurts when a brain child is born with three legs. But, just keep movin on. You’re goin the right way.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You know that may end up not being too much of a wasted effort. It may indeed help contribute to quiet things down in other parts of the house.

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
It differently did not hurt, like I said earlier I was able to go into the babies room (upstairs other side of the house) and I was very hard to hear what I would call a loudish movie experience going on the basement.

Some of that could be because of the layers of insulation around the speaker wall. As well as that half wall above the sub that's insulated. With a little help from the wall insulation that I did.

I know all these do very little compared to that rubbery plastic stuff that goes between your studs and sheetrock.

However when I finish the room I was not aware that existed.. It's only after I finish the basement that I saw the YouTube video from audioholics talking about that type of treatment.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
When we built my studio upstairs, we mounted all the Sheetrock on sound channel, and insulated all the wall/floor spaces too. Drums are just damn loud though so...
it’s definitely better though.

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic

I also wish I knew about these. I may have sprung for a pallet to do all my walls with around my theater room.

Also not sure if building a home for a home theater is still on the docket. But if it is, using these may do a lot.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis