What seperates on a $1000 budget?

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
Receivers must be rated with two channels driven, not one, after a warm-up period where they are being run at 1/3 their rated power. This is to government spec.

D

Deathwish238

Junior Audioholic
corysmith01 said:
Unless you have an absolutely huge room, I'd say that's just not true, imo. Speaking specifically to the Onkyo that is. I don't know about Panasonics and their power ratings, but Onkyo has been known to be very conservative with theirs. So, @ 75w per channel, that should be a decent amount of power. Looking at the audition series, they don't seem to be power hungry at all. They're all 8 ohm and all have senstivities in the 90's, some as high as 93db (AS F2.2). I had an Onkyo TX-SR603 once and it was 90w per channel and I never felt like it was struggling.

Which speakers in the audition line are you looking at? I don't know...personally, I'm feeling like the info you got was a little misleading. I'd think a receiver of the Onkyo's caliber paired with any of those speakers should be perfectly fine...unless of course you're trying to fill a convention hall or something. :confused:
I'm looking at the AS-B1.2s and AS-C1.2. They're only bookshelves w/ 6.5" drivers.

I will not be playing them loud. They'll be no more than 6' away from me and my room is only 11'x13'. It's not a big room.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will hold off on getting an amp until after I hear how they sound with whatever receiver I end up going with.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Josuah said:
Receivers must be rated with two channels driven, not one, after a warm-up period where they are being run at 1/3 their rated power. This is to government spec.
This holds true for two channel units for home use only. HT receivers (and boom boxes, car audio, etc...) are still the wild, wild west, just like stereo was in days before the 1974 FTC ruling of which you're thinking.

Last edited:
mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
corysmith01 said:
Oh yeah, almost forgot...to your first question. The $1K mark is hard, but if you want to wait for them to be released (they're pre-order right now), these will probably be the best you can do (new) @ $1098...and it's 7 channels, not 5, so bonus:

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=processors&product=30.1

AV123 is known for making quality stuff and tend to get favorable pub on their equipment. May be worth considering.
.....Cory, it was almost like you didn't post this post as far as any recognition....I would choose this dedicated combo of seperates over "ANY" $1000 receiver which "WON'T" be 4 ohm stable, and "WON'T" have a dedicated pre-amp seperate....Deathwish, (we'll hope that ain't the case), you have received advice in this thread from nice guys who own receivers and through no fault of their own don't have a clue about dedicated seperates which "actually" approach their all channels driven ratings...."any" receiver will make "any" set of speakers get LOUD, but what you'll get will probably be less than acceptable sound quality when compared to seperates, period, we're done.....

.....with this Emotiva combo you won't have a tuner, but what is the tuner in any modern receiver actually worth per benefits derived?....you can add a brand new "quality" seperates tuner for a couple hundred at your leisure that will outperform a modern receiver's tuner section about tenfold, and can find a used "quality" seperates tuner for about 50-75 bucks....you asked for a recommendation for seperates for $1000, and that was a very tough assignment....CorySmith brought you a most worthy recommendation at $1098 for the $1000 limit, with the two seperate components weighing 75 pounds jointly....check out the weight of a $1000 receiver at around 25-30 lbs....spend that money wisely, Sir, but hey, it's your money, your system, and your listening experiences that are hanging in the balance.......

Emotiva Ultra-Lite LMC-1 + LPA-1 Combo PRE-ORDER

Sale Price: $1098.00 each

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emotiva LMC-1 Processor Specifications

Crystal Semiconductor based 7.1 Channel Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro-Logic II/IIx, DTS, DTS-ES, and DTS Neo:6 decoding
Audiophile-Grade 24-bit/192kHz DAC’s
OSD (On Screen Display) for easy set up and calibration. Logical and easy to use. OSD is available on Component, S-Video and composite outputs
Automatic up-conversion of S-video and composite video sources to 480i component video
0.5dB resolution on the Master Volume and on all Level Trims
Second zone audio capability; can play audio sources independent of the main zone
Independent Delay Time Adjustment for the Centre, Rear Surrounds and Side Surrounds
Full-time digital down-mix for analog two-channel tape recording and second zone audio output from multi-channel digital sources
Full function custom IR remote control
Second zone IR remote capability
Internal 2 x 25 watt second zone power amplifier. Tracks the selected second zone audio source.
Optional second zone wall mount remote control panel with display of level and source select (requires 2 gang electrical box opening)
FM/AM tuner with 40 presets
Three sets of HDTV compatible wide-bandwidth component video inputs with buffered outputs
Five sets of audio/video inputs, each with audio, S-video, and composite video
Two pair audio-only inputs
Eight channel analog audio input using RCA connectors for DVD-A, SACD, or other external multi-channel source
Digital audio (S/PDIF) inputs for four sources: three coax or optical and one coax only
RCA line level outputs for all channels
DSP based tone controls
User selectable crossover frequency for all speakers when set to small
8 DSP surround sound modes available
External trigger outputs and infrared inputs
Modular internal construction
2 RU chassis w/ solid milled aluminum faceplate
IEC power inlet, 120/230 VAC configurable.
17” W x 3 7/8” H x 13” D
Weight - 12 lbs.

Emotiva LPA-1 Amplifier Specifications

Class A/B
Audiophile quality seven channel multi-channel power amplifier
Six 125 watt channels of amplification (one channel configurable for two channel operation)
Low noise 1.2 KVA toroid power transformer
Complementary, discrete power amplifier design incorporating high current, high speed, Toshiba power devices
Channel status indicators for standby, operate, and fault
Configurable power output as follows: 125 watts/8 ohms x 6 channels or 125 watts/8 ohms x 5 channels plus 2 x 50 watts/8 ohms x 2 channels
Completely stable into 4 ohm loads
Rated Power Output: Channels 1-5 (All Channels Driven at 0.04%THD, 120vAC/ 60HZ supply) 8 ohm: 125 watts / 4 ohm: 225 watts
Channels 6-7 (All Channels Driven at 0.05%THD, 120vAC/ 60HZ supply) 8 ohm: 50 watts / 4 ohm: 95 watts
Frequency Response: +/- 0.1 db: 20 to 20Khz, +/- 1.0 db: 10 to 100Khz
Signal to Noise Ratio: (Un-weighted): >100db
Distortion (THD, 80Khz bandwidth): Channels 1-5: <0.040, Channels 6-7: <0.052
Damping Factor: Approximately 200 into 8 ohms
Gain: Channels 1-5: 29db, Channels 6-7: 26db
Input Impedance: 47K ohm
External Trigger: 3-12 Volts DC (tip positive)
DC Offset: <1mV
Crosstalk: >75db
Power Requirements (All Channels Driven into 8 ohms): 1500 watts @ 120 volts AC, 60hz input
Power Consumption: Standby: 4 watts, Idle: 46 watts
Fully protected from all fault conditions
Soft start circuitry
External trigger turn on
Soft touch power switch
5RU chassis w/ solid milled aluminum faceplate
IEC power inlet, 120/230 VAC configurable
17” W x 7.75” H x 19” D
Weight - 63 lbs.

D

Deathwish238

Junior Audioholic
wow quite a post. Time to rethink things...I know that getting a seperate amp will improve sound quality considerably...but you're recommending not even getting a typical receiver but a straight up pre-amp/amp combo. I honestly didn't expect to be able to get a pre-amp/amp combo at this price. Thank you I will definitely look into it.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Deathwish238 said:
wow quite a post. Time to rethink things...I know that getting a seperate amp will improve sound quality considerably...but you're recommending not even getting a typical receiver but a straight up pre-amp/amp combo. I honestly didn't expect to be able to get a pre-amp/amp combo at this price. Thank you I will definitely look into it.
.....Deathwish, I think receivers serve a definite purpose and have their place for sure....but if you are at the point of choosing either a receiver and adding amps later, or getting seperates at relatively the same price, I would go the seperates route for sure....I can't say just "any" brand of seperates either....but Emotiva is well thought of at this site, and a review was even done on an Emotiva 7 channel amp, that reviewed the amp to be a very good one....I wish you the best of luck in choosing, whatever, at the point you're at....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
....another thing, Deathwish, at the Emotiva site, it mentions this combo costing $998, $100 bucks off, if you are a "family" member which constitutes you have made a $200 dollar purchase from them before....I personally would call them and ask if they have tuners, and what would need to be done to qualify for the $998 price on the pre-amp/amp combo....you could indeed be walking tall for around $1200-$1300 over a receiver of the same relative cost.....again, good luck....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Deathwish238 said:
thanks for all the info again. What do you think of their X-Series speakers?

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=82.1
.....Deathwish, I don't have the slightest clue about their speakers, and even reading the specs of the speakers would mean little to me....you have to "hear" speakers perform before considering a purchase, period, even though specs should guide you to a hearing audition....possibly others here have heard the Emotiva speakers and can comment....but....if the purchase of the $200 speakers you pointed out would qualify you to be a "family member" and end up costing only $100 with $100 off the afore mentioned combo, that could be a definite route.....call them.....

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Deathwish238 said:
wow quite a post. Time to rethink things...I know that getting a seperate amp will improve sound quality considerably.
Nonsense. You are being bullied by Mule. Seperates will not improve your sound one bit. Remember this when you are choosing your equipment: What you hear in your listening room is 95% speaker choice and room acoustics. Based on the size of your listening room, speaker choice etc., their will be no (nadda, zip, zilch) audible difference between a good $750 receiver (many mentioned already in this thread) and $2500 sperates.

Put your time and money on the things that really matter, speaker choice and room acoustis. But the best speakers you can afford. Thats where you will get the best sound possible within your budget.

Nick

Last edited:
mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Nick250 said:
Nonsense. You are being bullied by Mule. Seperates will not improve your sound one bit. Remember this when you are choosing your equipment: What you hear in your listening room is 95% speaker choice and room acoustics. Based on the size of your listening room, speaker choice etc., their will be no (nadda, zip, zilch) audible difference between a good $750 receiver (many mentioned already in this thread) and $2500 sperates.

Put your time and money on the things that really matter, speaker choice and room acoustis. But the best speakers you can afford. Thats where you will get the best sound possible within your budget.

Nick
.....Nick, ole' Buddy ole' Pal ole' Buddy, when I clicked on your post at the forums page, I knew what was coming, and sure enough....answer me this, Nick, why does Gene have an Emotiva 7-channel amp pushing the pre-outputs of his Yamaha 2600 receiver in his second listening room, and reported to us it sounds wonderful?....Nick, you really see me as a bully?....wow....let me assure you, I am only one who reports from listening experience, not from what might be configured in the mind to make sense......

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....(hands cupped around mouth)....GEEEEENE, NICK JUST SENT ME A PM AND SAID YOU WERE A BIGGER BULLY THAN ME!!!.....

.....hahaha, just kidding....Nick, you couldn't be more correct in saying speakers and room conditions play the largest role......

D

Deathwish238

Junior Audioholic
Well that's the first time I've been told that seperates don't sound better than a receiver.

I'm rather new into the home theater industry...but in the car audio industry atleast adding an amp to power your speakers instead of the head unit always improves your sound quality.

I'm basically torn between spending $250 on a receiver or $1000 on seperates. I have about a month to make my decision. The deciding factor is how much of a difference will the extra $750 make? I know the seperates will last me a lot longer because they are simply more powerful and will be able to power more speakers down the road.

kay

kay

Audioholic
Yes, but in car audio, the difference between a good head-unit is 20w/ch vs. 100w/ch for a good power amp. That's quite a difference. Head-units just aren't meant to power speakers.

Why don't you spend $800 on a receiver, and save $200 for a power amp if your receiver doesn't cut it for some reason? (Chances are you'll never need it IMO.)

D

Deathwish238

Junior Audioholic
kay said:
Yes, but in car audio, the difference between a good head-unit is 20w/ch vs. 100w/ch for a good power amp. That's quite a difference. Head-units just aren't meant to power speakers.

Why don't you spend $800 on a receiver, and save $200 for a power amp if your receiver doesn't cut it for some reason? (Chances are you'll never need it IMO.)
I thought about that as well...but well I figure I might as well go all out and get the $1000 combo if I'm going to spend nearly as much anyways. Do you not agree?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i am unfamiliar with emotiva, but if what mule is suggesting is just a little bit over 1k, I'd vote for that.

do some research on emotiva reviews and stuff, and check their warranty too.

D

Deathwish238

Junior Audioholic
Emotiva is made by AV123...considering Audioholics gave them Product of the Year I will trust them.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
mulester7 said:
.....(hands cupped around mouth)....GEEEEENE, NICK JUST SENT ME A PM AND SAID YOU WERE A BIGGER BULLY THAN ME!!!.....

.....hahaha, just kidding....Nick, you couldn't be more correct in saying speakers and room conditions play the largest role......
As bullies go you are the nicest one I have ever come across. Assertive is proably a much better description anyhow. On my part I think in the previous post I was a bit more over the top than usual. Anyway, always good to hear from you. I think I could modify my thoughts to the original poster and suggest he buy the Yamaha 2600 (or similar Denon,Onkyo etc with pre outs) like Gene has and then add an amp down the road if it turns out he really wants or needs one.

J

johsti

Audioholic
The athena auditions are 8ohm with a sensitivity of 90dB/91dB. IMHO, you do not need power amps.

My speakers are 8ohm and 90dB. I added a crown 402 power amp (260 watts per channel @ 8 ohms) to my fronts. The difference was so small, that I returned the power amp. My Pioneer receiver amp actually sounded cleaner. The power amp was slightly more dynamic beyond my comfortable listening levels. Search for my "crown mini-review thread".

I would recommend putting your money elsewhere if you stick with the athenas.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Nick250 said:
As bullies go you are the nicest one I have ever come across. Assertive is proably a much better description anyhow. On my part I think in the previous post I was a bit more over the top than usual. Anyway, always good to hear from you. I think I could modify my thoughts to the original poster and suggest he buy the Yamaha 2600 (or similar Denon,Onkyo etc with pre outs) like Gene has and then add an amp down the road if it turns out he really wants or needs one.
.....Nick, I'll admit I can be rather assertive, but only when I am sold on something....back in 1986, when I had been laid off from the mechanical dept since 1981 over the merger of Union Pacific and Missouri Pacific, I went to work as a new car salesman for a large Lincoln/Mercury dealership in Little Rock for about 8 months and then returned to the railroad, ya' can't beat the railroad....anyhow, at the car dealership, I instantly fell in love with the Lincoln Towncars....I studied them incessantly the first few months, and then sold more Towncars than any of the other twenty-or-so salesmen the last five months straight at the dealership....I still drive a Lincoln Towncar I bought in 1997 that I can't talk myself into letting go, and have tried....they are literally built like tanks with 9 inch rear ends....the drive-train in mine has never required any attention past spark plugs, and is as strong as the day I bought it with it now having 170,000 miles of service, getting about 26-28 mpg on the freeway with a splended overdrive....I feel the same way about McIntosh solid-state pre-amps and quality dedicated slave power....it doesn't matter how old they are either, McIntosh has remained constant in the sound quality of their solid-state pre-amps through the years....I believe receivers have their place, and I guess some models may even come close, but I am solidly sold on quality dedicated seperates....from the first listening to my Mac pre-amp with dedicated quality slave power, the music seemed more alive and vibrant over the receivers I'd had, like I was much closer to the recorded group's live speakers....and just like a two year-old Lincoln Towncar can be had for half of the original sticker, used McIntosh pre-amps can be had quite cheaply, but the used McIntosh market is not large and you usually have to be patient....Nick, yes, I can be quite assertive, but only when convinced, and I try to be careful not to misrepresent or exaggerate......

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis