What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Bought all the trapping to build myself a new computer yesterday. AMD 5600 on an ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero Dark mobo, couple m.2 drives, PSU, etc, etc. Everything but a new video card because prices on them are freaking nuts right now.
Just bought a new (to me) video card from a coworker. He sold me his old RTX 2080 for a very reasonable $350!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
These are my current garage speakers! I got them at a good price from PE, I think it was right at $108.

I bought them specifically as practice before tackling the BMR build. The BMRs are a challenging build! And, the OS was my first, the BMR is my 2nd (speaker) build.

Mostly, I wanted to tell you that you can get PCBs for the XOs on Ebay for a fair price. I did not personally use the ebya PCBs, but only because I knew the BMR would not have that option, and I needed the practice without the PCB. I used a custom 3D printed "pegboard" to hold my XO components, I have a 3D printer and that looked to be the easiest way for me to get what I needed.
How do you like the overnight sensations? I've been considering building them for PC duties.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
How do you like the overnight sensations? I've been considering building them for PC duties.
That's what I'm going to use them for. My tiny JBL's just aren't cutting it anymore. This kit was too cheap to pass up.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
These are my current garage speakers! I got them at a good price from PE, I think it was right at $108.

I bought them specifically as practice before tackling the BMR build. The BMRs are a challenging build! And, the OS was my first, the BMR is my 2nd (speaker) build.

Mostly, I wanted to tell you that you can get PCBs for the XOs on Ebay for a fair price. I did not personally use the ebya PCBs, but only because I knew the BMR would not have that option, and I needed the practice without the PCB. I used a custom 3D printed "pegboard" to hold my XO components, I have a 3D printer and that looked to be the easiest way for me to get what I needed.
Hmm. I didn't think of that. Just any PCB will work or can I make something else work too? I've got a TON of random wood pieces laying around that might work. I'll start a build thread when I get the parts later this week.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hmm. I didn't think of that. Just any PCB will work or can I make something else work too? I've got a TON of random wood pieces laying around that might work. I'll start a build thread when I get the parts later this week.
I considered non-printed, perforated circuit board from PE... actually bought 2 different sizes. Circuit board is hard to drill through and easy to damage so I held off on that. Bought a sheet of 1/8” hardboard (masonite) and drilled my own holes for wire ties to help secure the XO Components. I just made cut it to size for my XO needs, layed out and traced the components, drilled holes where I wanted them. I used Silicon Adhesive/Sealant and wire ties to secure the parts. I used standoffs between the XO Board and cabinet, wood screws to secure the board to the cabinet.
Sounds like a lot! o_O
I know pegboard is often referenced, but spacing was an issue and I figured if I had to drill anyway, I might as well go with the non perforated hardboard.
Photos here:

Also see Mr Boat's photos further down the thread... I'm going to follow his example and put the leads down through the board next time with all connections made on the underside where possible. :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Black version of these little guys.

They are actually pretty good, but the total lack of anything below 200hz is what's driving my decision.
I had those they were great as surrounds in my NY apt. I remember watching the Roy orbison live dvd and the violins sounded so beautiful. I may buy them from you if I get a good deal or a trade perhaps. :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I had those they were great as surrounds in my NY apt. I remember watching the Roy orbison live dvd and the violins sounded so beautiful. I may buy them from you if I get a good deal or a trade perhaps. :)
I'm pretty sure you are the one that recommended them to me. You said exactly the same thing about violins and you are correct. Those little guys have been great, just time to upgrade.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Got damn loch ness monster!

What are you going to power the OS's with? I ended up using my deftech SC4000 as the "sub" for my PC.
I have a Kanto Yaro DAC/amp that I'm using now. Should work well.

Nice sub. Does it really dig to 16hz?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'm pretty sure you are the one that recommended them to me. You said exactly the same thing about violins and you are correct. Those little guys have been great, just time to upgrade.
What amp are gonna use with your new build?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Oh, "any" board will work. Most people just go to homedepot and get a piece of pegboard, I think it is technically called "perf board", then cut that to the proper size. Then, you zip-tie and hot glue the components in place, then solder. It is basically just a way to get everything organized into a XO board.

BUT...the beauty of the proper PCB is that you don't even have to follow the schematic. Just stuff the board and solder the leads to the traces, trim the excess, done and done! You do put faith that the person that designed and had the PCBs made had it done properly, but the general feedback has been good that I have seen. And, then it is just a nice clean look, but you are the only person that will ever see it anyway.

I think @MrBoat has used some of the ebay PCBs on his work.

I will make it easy for you

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
They are good speakers, but I don't call them "excellent" for sure.

Certainly my DCM TP or TFE line of speakers are better. Certainly my DIY BMR and Alexis Rebecca Philharmonitor are much better!

I would rate them along the lines of my Emotiva Bookshelf Speakers or DefTech SM350. No slouch, but not top tier speakers either.

To my ears, the tweeters do seem a little bit "shouty" to me, that is my biggest complaint. Beyond that, they are indeed fine little speakers!

With that being said, they do get a lot of play time being in the garage, which is obviously not an ideal setting. They are at about the right ear-height while I am standing and working at my workbench. When the temperature is decent, I spend just about as much time tinkering in the garage as I do in the house!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Got damn loch ness monster!

What are you going to power the OS's with? I ended up using my deftech SC4000 as the "sub" for my PC.
I am using a Boxed Kit Amps GOBO ChipAmp. I built it and measured it as a class project for my solid state class several years back at the local CC.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis