what mode for playing cds for denon?

S

se7en

Audioholic Intern
what mode do you guys think is the best for music cds? pure direct, stereo, etc....

Beegowl

Beegowl

Junior Audioholic
Best is subjective

Sometimes I prefer the adjusted sound of the non-direct settings. Sometimes I listen to the direct stereo setting. The direct setting removes any speaker adjustments made by the receiver or the player and, according to the literature, the signal is exactly what's on the source. Which one is best depends on how I'm hearing. You may prefer one over the other, but it's not really which one is best. :)

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
se7en said:
what mode do you guys think is the best for music cds? pure direct, stereo, etc....
If you have 5 channel stereo,i only use it for cd's.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
One of the great things about this hobby is...

.. when it comes yor own personal preferences, nobody can say you are wrong. Some lile the plain old stereo through the analog inputs, others like the DPLII settings 'cause ou can manipulate all sortsa things, others like tghe Stereo 5/6 and ya know what? Nobody is wrong!

Me, personally, for music I prefer the plain old two channel stereo mode. Once and a while I'll spice it up with a little DPLII or stsreo5 but, on the whole, I prefer my two channels straight up.

But, ig tou have two channel video sources, such as VHS or some old DVD's that were cut in two channels, I will ALWAYS go for DPLII cinema mode. It works wonders on them old two channel movie soundtracks, which, IIRC, were actually called "Dolby Surround"

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
se7en said:
Although I play around with all the sound fields and options I'm usually listening to CD's in Direct mode. I use Direct vs. Pure Direct only because I like to see the display on my 3805 and adjust the volume a lot and like to see the display on my TV. :) In the multichannel mode I usually listen to DPLII-music. What I'd really prefer in multichanel mode is Logic 7 that's available on Harman Kardon receivers and a few others.

S

se7en

Audioholic Intern
yah i was playing around last night with it and for me at least i thought pure direct sounded a little louder a stereo sounded a little quieter. when you guys listen to music do you use a subwoofer with it or just the speakers? im using a sub with the music just wondering what you all use :)

TMMerlin

TMMerlin

Enthusiast
:D I am very pleased with "plain ole stereo" mode !

The SACD's I just got make a very big difference as well. I use a Denon2910 into an older Pioneer integrated receiver ( '92 model ). The sound is very different than regular CD's.

Regards

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
Analog Direct from my 3910 for 2-channel CDs.

Jason

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Depends on the CD...I like Pure Direct for newer CD'd, plain stereo for older sources like 70's rock...I also have 2ch analog connectors from CD to the Denon and use that sometimes.

I also find DTS Neo with the centre channel turned almost right down sounds good...

and EQ OFF is by far the best...to me.

I think this question is easily answered by listening yourself. It's not like it's hard to sit there and push a button or two. Everyone's ears are different. And like I said, it depends on the CD alot.

Last edited:
S

se7en

Audioholic Intern
i guess most of you guys don't use the sub for music.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
se7en said:
If you have it set properly the sub is on for direct and pure direct modes. I use my sub in all listening modes, 24/7. :D

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I use my sub ALL the time for music.

Unlike the Yammie, the Denon receivers let you use the sub in Pure Direct mode. Probably the biggest reason I bought it.

K

keenan

Junior Audioholic
Johnny Canuck said:

Unlike the Yammie, the Denon receivers let you use the sub in Pure Direct mode. Probably the biggest reason I bought it.
Plus, the Denon does this without any analog to digital to analog processing of the signal from the CDP. It uses a parallel circuit tapped from the analog input to create the signal then used to feed the SW.

TMMerlin

TMMerlin

Enthusiast
se7en said:
OooH yes indeed ... the Sub is a substantial part of my speaker array. As a matter of fact, my system utilizes four, 10 inch woofers driven at up to 125 watts per channel. Depending on how much Bass management I want is only a matter of adjusting the equalizer setting ! :D !

The nice part of it is, I don't need an external power booster. It's kinda like the difference between a little 4-banger with a turbo versus a real V-8 with dual 4-barrel carbs (chuckle) :cool:

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
keenan said:
Plus, the Denon does this without any analog to digital to analog processing of the signal from the CDP. It uses a parallel circuit tapped from the analog input to create the signal then used to feed the SW.
That's very clever, but it doesn't qualify as 'direct' in my mind. The term 'direct' as used by every other receiver brand means direct to the amplifiers without processing the signal in any way.

If it doesn't convert to digital so it can do bass management and filter the signal to send only the frequencies below the crossover to the sub, then it must have a fixed value analog filter or send the sub a full range signal and rely on the sub's crossover (which won't be enabled in most cases if you setup the receiver correctly for non-direct modes). I'd be interested to know exactly how they do this if you have any information on it.

V

victoriacoffee

Audioholic Intern
Johnny Canuck said:

Hi all. Very interesting thread. I'm a newbie when it comes to the Denon 3805 so bare with me. I use the 3910 to play most of my cd and have it connected via DLink and 5.1 analog cables. In Direct and Pure Direct modes my sub is not involved. What am I doing wrong in my setup?

Thanks!

chmura89

Audiophyte
I set my 2805 to pure direct and let my dvd player (denon 2910) do the bass management. To my ears the sound is fantastic.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Denon says you have to turn off the sub inorder for pure direct to work?

V

victoriacoffee

Audioholic Intern
Pure Direct w/Sub

Well, I read through some Denon info on the 3805 and it said to connect a pair of analog cables from the 3910. So now I have 3 types of connections coming from the 3910 to the 3805 - Dlink; 5.1 analog; and 2 channel analog. Now I have sub output when listening in Pure Direct mode. But that's an awful lot of connections just for music.

Is there another way? :confused:

J

james_bujold

Audiophyte
the pure direct mode really brings out the Denon's ability to produce music as it should be heard

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis