What is your favorite source

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
for headphones? AVR headphone out, a particular (this is new to me) stack of HPA/DAC? Some other method? Last headphones I had were Grado, and my grandkids took turns destroying them somewhere around 4 years ago and have not had any since. Recently ordered the 80 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. Choosing a certain impedance was not all too clear when researching headphones. The only thing I really had to go on was that I need closed back, and that there was mention of the 250 Ohm version being a bit on the bright side. I would most likely at the very least, have these hooked up to a portable HPA. I'm not much for phones as a source, especially since all the phones I have had, pretty much have had crappy/low power audio.

Subjective reviews of headphones seems to be as whacky as those with other areas of audio. Same eye-roll terms such as "fast" and "burn-in" I saw being tossed around was not much for confidence, with many others afraid to admit great performance for anything nearing the budget realm, and who are obviously tainted by collecting too many high dollar versions to be caught slumming it with the budget crowd.

Also, what do you feel is a good marker for diminishing returns in the headphone world? Seems like it should be a much more narrow margin since HP don't have a lot of area for exotic materials and finish?

ETA: I have my Denon AVRs, a topping E30II Lite DAC, and my DIY Starving Student II Pre/HPA hybrid.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I have Grado sr 60s, Senn 599ses, Senn pro 280s, and AKG 240 Studios. Only listen to the Grados and mostly Senn 599s these days. I still prefer listening to my Infinity tower speakers.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have Grado sr 60s, Senn 599ses, Senn pro 280s, and AKG 240 Studios. Only listen to the Grados and mostly Senn 599s these days. I still prefer listening to my Infinity tower speakers.
Definitely a fan of speakers over headphones. The bass from the headphones don't slam you in the chest like speakers do. This is gonna take awhile. Once you get used to the whole body experience of large displacement speakers, there really is no going back. Last time I liked headphones was when I was starved for music while travelling and it was the only alternative and then I was glad to get it at all.

My main system is hitting on all 8 cylinders now too and my truck system isn't half bad, either. Headphones are likely just going to make me like my speakers even more.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've used the headphone jack on a few receivers as well as some portable devices, but they all generally do fine, especially at the listening levels I use. Maybe they can't drive them as well as an ideally matched amp but I couldn't even tell you the impedance spec of the headphone outs on those devices or my headphones without digging (they're Denon "Digital" AH-D210s). I just wear them in power failures these days, maybe camping, so mostly on the portable devices. I much prefer speakers.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Source? - I think you mean headphone amp. On the desktop, I use my Behringer interface, and in the family room my AVR headphones port.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Source? - I think you mean headphone amp. On the desktop, I use my Behringer interface, and in the family room my AVR headphones port.
Probably. But I thought some used stand alone streamers or something apart from their main system, perhaps. Or something that one might take with them away from home that is not just a phone.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
for headphones? AVR headphone out, a particular (this is new to me) stack of HPA/DAC? Some other method? Last headphones I had were Grado, and my grandkids took turns destroying them somewhere around 4 years ago and have not had any since. Recently ordered the 80 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. Choosing a certain impedance was not all too clear when researching headphones. The only thing I really had to go on was that I need closed back, and that there was mention of the 250 Ohm version being a bit on the bright side. I would most likely at the very least, have these hooked up to a portable HPA. I'm not much for phones as a source, especially since all the phones I have had, pretty much have had crappy/low power audio.

Subjective reviews of headphones seems to be as whacky as those with other areas of audio. Same eye-roll terms such as "fast" and "burn-in" I saw being tossed around was not much for confidence, with many others afraid to admit great performance for anything nearing the budget realm, and who are obviously tainted by collecting too many high dollar versions to be caught slumming it with the budget crowd.

Also, what do you feel is a good marker for diminishing returns in the headphone world? Seems like it should be a much more narrow margin since HP don't have a lot of area for exotic materials and finish?

ETA: I have my Denon AVRs, a topping E30II Lite DAC, and my DIY Starving Student II Pre/HPA hybrid.
I don't use headphones often, generally only while editing, or away from home. I do recommend 250 ohm impedance, then you get good performance from voltage amps, and don't need power amps. In other words you can get pretty much good quality from any headphone jack, where as four and 8 ohm phones will only do well from a dedicated phone amp.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I don't use headphones often, generally only while editing, or away from home. I do recommend 250 ohm impedance, then you get good performance from voltage amps, and don't need power amps. In other words you can get pretty much good quality from any headphone jack, where as four and 8 ohm phones will only do well from a dedicated phone amp.
I ended up with 80 Ohm headphones. They sound good enough. I thought perhaps headphones/HPA must've advanced by leaps and bounds by now.

Switching between headphones and my main speakers last night, it let me know instantly just how dynamic and impactful the main speakers are comparatively. What made me curious was, a lot of people now live solely by HP, IEMs, ear buds etc. The way they talk about them, had me thinking they must really be a comparable experience. Perhaps addition of bass shakers and a good chair might make up for some of the other missing sensory stimulations that speakers provide, don't know.

It also doesn't help that I use my main speakers in rather abrupt near field, which is rather super-headphonic comparatively, minus the cranial (be nice, now) null. The mid-woofers of my speakers are 12" and are known for potent midbass. If I was going between headphones and a steady diet of bookshelf speakers, I bet the differences would be a bit less noticeable.

I must admit, after turning the bass down a bit, it has reduced that false weightiness with the bass being concentrated to such a small sensory area trying to sound life sized. I can tell right now that if I use a HPA, it had better have a decent set of tone controls/EQ.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you want a speaker like experience with headphones you need to look at Stax headphones, they come with their own amplifiers and quite high price tag. Of course you don't get the chest slamming bass, but otherwise the experience is really close.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I ended up with 80 Ohm headphones. They sound good enough. I thought perhaps headphones/HPA must've advanced by leaps and bounds by now.

Switching between headphones and my main speakers last night, it let me know instantly just how dynamic and impactful the main speakers are comparatively. What made me curious was, a lot of people now live solely by HP, IEMs, ear buds etc. The way they talk about them, had me thinking they must really be a comparable experience. Perhaps addition of bass shakers and a good chair might make up for some of the other missing sensory stimulations that speakers provide, don't know.

It also doesn't help that I use my main speakers in rather abrupt near field, which is rather super-headphonic comparatively, minus the cranial (be nice, now) null. The mid-woofers of my speakers are 12" and are known for potent midbass. If I was going between headphones and a steady diet of bookshelf speakers, I bet the differences would be a bit less noticeable.

I must admit, after turning the bass down a bit, it has reduced that false weightiness with the bass being concentrated to such a small sensory area trying to sound life sized. I can tell right now that if I use a HPA, it had better have a decent set of tone controls/EQ.
Closed back phones are always a bit bass heavy. 80 Ohm phones will not load voltage amps terribly, but honestly I can't understand why phones just are not all 250 ohms.

I think peoples experience of phones varies. I do not enjoy headphone listening. I can not get used to the weird acoustic experience they provide. I guess some can.

When I did live recording for the radio station, I always took speakers after my first experience trying to mix via phones. I screwed up every phone mix.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
If you want a speaker like experience with headphones you need to look at Stax headphones, they come with their own amplifiers and quite high price tag. Of course you don't get the chest slamming bass, but otherwise the experience is really close.
Of the HP listed in your signature line, which are your favorites and why?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Closed back phones are always a bit bass heavy. 80 Ohm phones will not load voltage amps terribly, but honestly I can't understand why phones just are not all 250 ohms.

I think peoples experience of phones varies. I do not enjoy headphone listening. I can not get used to the weird acoustic experience they provide. I guess some can.

When I did live recording for the radio station, I always took speakers after my first experience trying to mix via phones. I screwed up every phone mix.
I may try the 250 ohm version but I am getting these to sound pretty good now with some EQ adjustment. The forward bass was not allowing me to turn them up enough before farting driver started to occur, which started me out on a negative first impression and not much patience with it. My system was EQ'd for sealed subs and that was totally the opposite of what these headphones needed. Had me worried for a minute that I had made a purchasing error. I can get some enjoyment from these, compared to playing my main system holding back, trying to be considerate of others in the house.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I personally always go with open-back phones, like my current fav, HD600s. Here's a comparison with DT770s pros:
As you can see, except for the lack of bass, HD600 has better scores in Soundstage and Trebble.

As far as looking at Headphones impedance, I found it, in general, unrelated to sound quality, except in cases where your headphone amp would struggle to power them like most amps won't able to power 600ohm phones to any normal levels.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Interesting this thread came up for just the other day I decided to listen to a few CD's through my 'cans', an inexpensive pair of Senn HD-650's. First time I used them in months, it was nice ....

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Of the HP listed in your signature line, which are your favorites and why?
I use the MMX300 most (7 hours a day at office) as they have pretty nice sound and are always ready for meetings and calls. Also have been using them for gaming lately as well, used to use HD600 for gaming before for their good positional imaging, but for some reason have shifted to MMX300.

For music it really depends what I'm listening to and what my mood is, but it would be between the HD600 and Fostex. For movies I would pick the Fostex over HD600 as they offer stronger bass.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Interesting this thread came up for just the other day I decided to listen to a few CD's through my 'cans', an inexpensive pair of Senn HD-650's. First time I used them in months, it was nice ....
Senns offer the best value per dollar for headphones, and always have. They are pretty much the top rec. in most price ranges.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Senns offer the best value per dollar for headphones, and always have. They are pretty much the top rec. in most price ranges.
Agree. I found this true for $20 HD-201 and well for $300 HD-600

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I have had the AKG K240 Studio headphones for some time, made in Austria. I also have a pair of wireless JBL. Nothing like having external speakers for full engulfment, and the separation they give. I use the headphones when listening to music on my laptop.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I use my headphones, daily. And as I aged, I find that I get enjoyment out of headphones and I still use my speakers. Each their own, no right or wrong. Enjoy what ya got.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Headphones to me sound like they need a mixing tunnel over the head where that headband is, to mitigate that abrupt separation when content is only mic'd to one channel. That so far, has been the most unnatural quality I have found with them. It's as if the other ear goes temporarily, and nearly completely deaf, to where I can actually feel it physically. On open air speakers, it would seem more like natural and smoother panning, comparatively. It has caused me to skip to the next selection if it lasts too long.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis