Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Photo by Ciscis on January 04, 2021. Image may contain: living room, table and indoor.

Can someone tell me what type of setup this is? Are those amps on the floor? One for each speaker?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Holy crap, that is just a tad expensive.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
That's nothing compared to the big brother Grande Utopias $260,000

Those amps are probably $30k each

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
That stereo cost more than my house. Sigh...

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That's nothing compared to the big brother Grande Utopias $260,000

Those amps are probably $30k each
Wow, just wow. Isn't it amazing just how high end things can get. I mean for that price I couldn't even list what I would expect on a daily basis.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
While that is an impressive system, don't think that sounds so much better than lower cost stuff. A lot of what you are paying for is aesthetics- it's a beautiful design for sure. Also, a lot of what you are paying for is how things are being done, but not necessarily for the end results. It's similar to a Rolex watch; they aren't very good as pure timepieces, and much of what you are paying for is their intricate mechanical engineering. Any simple Casio Quartz watch is a far more accurate timepiece.

Those Pass Labs amps are nice for sure, but they have no hope of matching the technical performance of a Benchmark AHB2, or a NAD C298, or a Cherry Megaschnino. All of which, although pricey amps, are much less expensive. I have heard Utopias on multiple occasions, and while quite nice, can be matched for sound quality at much lower costs. In fact, the pictured system would be easy to exceed in sound quality at lower costs, for two reasons: the bass drivers are mounted rather high, and that will lead to some ground bounce cancellation. And there are no measures that I see which address room modes, except for that bass trap which probably only addresses issues above 100Hz.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That is totally crazy, half a million for speakers. It really is speechless. I really wonder what the profit is on speakers like that?

Magico and Wilson now have speakers that are even more expensive. The Wilson one, which is like $700k, looks pretty bad from both an aesthetic and functional standpoint.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Magico and Wilson now have speakers that are even more expensive. The Wilson one, which is like $700k, looks pretty bad from both an aesthetic and functional standpoint.
Good Lord.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The M6's are nice $172,000

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
How about a million a piece :) https://www.cnet.com/news/the-1000000-speaker/ Must be the Koenigsegg of speakers or something.....
5 million for 5 speakers! I mean where are we going here but crazy. Talk about the law of diminishing returns. I'll put my RSL speakers up against them any day. I think I paid all of 600 bucks in total for. 3 CG23 LCR, 2 CG3 that I got great deals on.
What sub would you ever pair with million dollar speakers?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I heard these at CEDIA in 2005- they're the best I have heard, before or since. The link this photo comes from shows $188K for the pair.

1609854987528.png

The majority of the price for big money speakers and really, many things, is because the cost to build the 'furniture' is high. Put any of these in a plain painted box and they'll sound the same- if they have solid wood or some other material over the base cabinetry, add some material of the same stiffness and density to create the same properties. Call it 'the contractor series' of speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis