What is the next best thing to OLED?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Once the 83" hits the price that the 77" now, then I may consider swapping out my 85" LCD for the OLED. I will have to figure out how to deal with the bright lighting in the room from the windows. Sony currently has a 100" LCD at $20,000. So, it wouldn't surprise me to see a 90"+ size from LG in the OLED panels. The 98" size is a fairly hot ticket item in businesses. Those that can get away from using a projector and use a flat panel instead, are buying the large screen sizes quite often. Still, the 98" displays tend to run well over $10,000 to the end user. They also aren't 100 pound displays... they weigh a ton.

What is your take on this Samsung QD-OLED? I have confirmed they are buying their screens from LG. My BS alarm tells me this is the likely Q-LED fiasco on steroids.
It's been a minute since I've looked into it. I've heard it is about bumping brightness up, so that may be really nice. But, I will wait for reviews. It may end up like the IPS/TN LCD panel debate. There are pros and cons to each design, and Samsung may create a viable debate between different OLED technologies. Frankly, I'm hoping it is awesome.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Are you sure this is not Samsung BS like QLED. As I understand it they are buying those panels from LG, and running them brighter, which they don't need. I can't abide over bright TVs.

Right now, I'm really suspicious of that QD-OLED.

1) Samsung makes the panels, not LG (Sony is buying panels from Samsung for their version)
2) The technology is different, true RGB no WRGB that is part of traditional OLED

I was only able to see the Samsung PC Monitor in person, but it solves a lot of problems, high contrast, great viewing angles (even better than OLED) greater color accuracy. Better Peek brightness than OLED for HDR.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
Debating on getting a 75 inch and above NEO QLED 8K Samsung or wait for the new 4K OLEDs.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Having just got the 65 A90j oled , it easily trump's the other tech. And don't listen to this not bright enough business. It's only part of the story. Contrast is what makes a picture truly stunning and after looking at alot of tvs in person (Samsung q95a , TCL c825, Sony X90j etc) I can tell you I'd choose contrast over brightness Everytime. The oleds have an almost 3 dimensional look with good content. The first time the Netflix logo popped up on a totally black screen , like it was hovering in space in my dark room, I knew I'd made the right choice. I did alot of viewing on all the tvs too as they are expensive over here in New Zealand ($4999 for the A90j) .

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Having just got the 65 A90j oled , it easily trump's the other tech. And don't listen to this not bright enough business. It's only part of the story. Contrast is what makes a picture truly stunning and after looking at alot of tvs in person (Samsung q95a , TCL c825, Sony X90j etc) I can tell you I'd choose contrast over brightness Everytime. The oleds have an almost 3 dimensional look with good content. The first time the Netflix logo popped up on a totally black screen , like it was hovering in space in my dark room, I knew I'd made the right choice. I did alot of viewing on all the tvs too as they are expensive over here in New Zealand ($4999 for the A90j) .
This is very true, but very not true as well. :D
Contrast is king. Absolute king. Period.
So, what is the problem?
The room the display is going to simply can't be ignored. Otherwise, everyone should just get a OLED and call it done. I know I would.
But, the room is incredibly important to the viewing of the content as well. If you have such a bright room that you can't see the shadow detail and the 'highlights' are barely even white in the room you are in, then it is all meaningless.
Sure, it looks great after dark, but that doesn't do much for you when you are trying to enjoy a movie at noon on a Sunday afternoon.
I had plasma for years. The undisputed king of contrast for years.
But, it was a tough go of things for those afternoon movies which I enjoyed. I would flit off to my basement to watch on my projector, returning upstairs to watch the football game later that day... and still not being all that happy as reflections made viewing really tough.

So, contrast is king, but with high ambient room light, you can't appreciate the non-existent black levels you don't really get in such a bright room when using OLED. You need a TV with the brightness to combat the ambient light in the room.

In a room that's a bit darker, without the massive windows, for sure a basement setup, then OLED is God-tier for displays right now.
But, in a bright room, you gotta deal with the realities of the space, and a good LED LCD may have the brightness to actually deliver the usable contrast during the day to allow things to be enjoyable, while still delivering solid (if not as good) of performance after dark.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
This is very true, but very not true as well. :D
Contrast is king. Absolute king. Period.
So, what is the problem?
The room the display is going to simply can't be ignored. Otherwise, everyone should just get a OLED and call it done. I know I would.
But, the room is incredibly important to the viewing of the content as well. If you have such a bright room that you can't see the shadow detail and the 'highlights' are barely even white in the room you are in, then it is all meaningless.
Sure, it looks great after dark, but that doesn't do much for you when you are trying to enjoy a movie at noon on a Sunday afternoon.
I had plasma for years. The undisputed king of contrast for years.
But, it was a tough go of things for those afternoon movies which I enjoyed. I would flit off to my basement to watch on my projector, returning upstairs to watch the football game later that day... and still not being all that happy as reflections made viewing really tough.

So, contrast is king, but with high ambient room light, you can't appreciate the non-existent black levels you don't really get in such a bright room when using OLED. You need a TV with the brightness to combat the ambient light in the room.

In a room that's a bit darker, without the massive windows, for sure a basement setup, then OLED is God-tier for displays right now.
But, in a bright room, you gotta deal with the realities of the space, and a good LED LCD may have the brightness to actually deliver the usable contrast during the day to allow things to be enjoyable, while still delivering solid (if not as good) of performance after dark.
Well Said!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis