What is the next best thing to OLED?

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
I've been reading about the LG C1 OLED for awhile now, and I like what I'm reading. Its closer to my price range, but slightly out of it. I'm currently using a Panasonic plasma and I fear even the best LCD will disappoint. Does anyone have any suggestions or directions I should look for an OLED alternative?

thanks!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You have two choices right now. LCD and OLED. There are MANY different variations to how LCD panels are made, and multiple types of panels. Some look better than others.

I've got two LCD tvs that are IPS panels, and I like them. I've had a VA panel (IIRC) and I didn't like that one much. None are nearly as good as my plasma (VT60 panasonic) and the plasma isn't as good as my OLED.

I've got the LG A1, and it's still OLED, but it's a 60hz panel. For my viewing location, it's excellent and I want a C1 for my office now so I can get all the VRR goodness that comes with HDMI 2.1.

You could go with a Vizio OLED since it's still an LG panel.

Other than that, you're going LCD, but technology has come a LONG way since the last plasma was manufactured. I still don't like them though.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
We have a Samsung QN75QN85A TV (since August 2021) and love it. We deliberately went to their QLED as it's in our Games Room with lots of windows & my wife likes to let the Sunshine in. Supposedly it's a better fit in Bright applications.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe whichever Sony or Samsung TV that is BRIGHTER than the OLED TVs.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
We have a Sony A8H OLED from 2020 after having a couple of plasma's over the years. Spent a lot of time in Best Buy comparing various sets and settings. Would go with the OLED even in a bright room. Then again that was 15 months ago for what its worth.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
QD OLED only comes in 55 and 65 and since they did not mention a price, you can expect this first gen to be very high. The interesting thing is, they say it is less costly to produce than current OLED, but with it being a new tech, the production yield isn't known yet. Yield has traditionally been low on OLED, which is part of why it costs more. That is improving which is why the prices are coming down.

If you haven't seen current LCDs, you might be surprised. The blacks are still not as good as OLED or Plasma, but they're definitely brighter. The newest LCDs, which are MicroLED backlit are supposed to come close to the blacks for OLED. I've only seen one on display in the store and it looked pretty impressive actually. LCD does not have color bleed like OLEDs do, so there are always tradeoffs.

What would I buy right now? I would probably wait another year if you can and jump on that QD OLED bandwagon.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Prob not going to be in budget....

Be on the look out for 2022 and QD-OLED sets from Sony and Samsung. Sony backed out of CES and the only sample that Samsung had was on their gaming monitor. It sets a whole new standard for picture quality.

Are you sure this is not Samsung BS like QLED. As I understand it they are buying those panels from LG, and running them brighter, which they don't need. I can't abide over bright TVs.

Right now, I'm really suspicious of that QD-OLED.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
You have two choices right now. LCD and OLED. There are MANY different variations to how LCD panels are made, and multiple types of panels. Some look better than others.

I've got two LCD tvs that are IPS panels, and I like them. I've had a VA panel (IIRC) and I didn't like that one much. None are nearly as good as my plasma (VT60 panasonic) and the plasma isn't as good as my OLED.

I've got the LG A1, and it's still OLED, but it's a 60hz panel. For my viewing location, it's excellent and I want a C1 for my office now so I can get all the VRR goodness that comes with HDMI 2.1.

You could go with a Vizio OLED since it's still an LG panel.

Other than that, you're going LCD, but technology has come a LONG way since the last plasma was manufactured. I still don't like them though.
Are all Vizio oled's using lg panels? Same panel as A1or C1 or etc?

Thsnks

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would save and wait till you can get the OLED, it will be worth it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If OLED is out of your budget, then you need to increase your budget. At some point, you clearly did this to get the excellent Panasonic plasma which you have enjoyed for years. Of course, if you can find an older CX series OLED, you will be just as impressed and it may save you a few bucks. The image from the Vizio is not phenomenal overall, but for the money is still OLED and still does an amazing job. Looking at pricing from $850. Yeah, it isn't super cheap, but for a family room 'MAIN' TV in a home, it's a reasonable price for the quality you are getting.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If OLED is out of your budget, then you need to increase your budget. At some point, you clearly did this to get the excellent Panasonic plasma which you have enjoyed for years. Of course, if you can find an older CX series OLED, you will be just as impressed and it may save you a few bucks. The image from the Vizio is not phenomenal overall, but for the money is still OLED and still does an amazing job. Looking at pricing from $850. Yeah, it isn't super cheap, but for a family room 'MAIN' TV in a home, it's a reasonable price for the quality you are getting.

I agree a Panasonic 2K Plasma beats any 4K LCD I have seen. I have a couple of 2K panasonic plasmas, and one 77" C class LG OLED. I'm still not convinced the difficult pastel shades are not better on the plasmas. But the OLED does beat them in definition and blacks. So I have to give the nod to the OLED.

What is your take on this Samsung QD-OLED? I have confirmed they are buying their screens from LG. My BS alarm tells me this is the likely Q-LED fiasco on steroids.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
77in OLED is where I want to be eventually but for now I’m just visiting them on Costco trips. Its a bit above my budget at current prices. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis