What Is the best live show you've seen?

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
I read the Jaco book, it's excellent - I hope they do the movie, I never heard about it until now.

G

genesis471

Audioholic
gene said:
No contest. The best live shows are as follows:
1) Pat Metheny
2) Genesis
3) Yes
4) U2

This is fact, NOT opinion ;)
I haven't seen Pat Metheny, however I must agree with the other 3 choices. Genesis are/were brilliant live.

I also have recently seen a Genesis tribute band called 'The Musical Box'. They perfectly re-created 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' tour from 1974/5. I have seen a lot of live acts in my time and I would put them in the top 5!

mike

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
Best Live Concerts

Jimi Hendrix, Cream, The Mothers of Invention, Santana doing the Caravanserai Album, Miles Davis, Dreams, McCoy Tyner, Elvin Jones, Jack Dejohnette with John Abercrombie etc. The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report, Pat Metheny, Gerri Allen, Wynton Marsalis and the Linclon Jazz Orchestra, the Brecker Brothers, Chick Corea, Stanton Davis and the Ghetto Mysticism, Baird Hersey and the Year of the Ear, Aretha Franklin, Allan Holdsworth, once with former Metheny drummer Danny Gottlieb, and once with Chad Wackerman, AlDimeola, Bobby McFerrin, there's a few more but I can't remember the names at the moment, and I'm willing to bet that none of you have ever heard of the Jazz Fusion Band Dreams that was playing in them very late 60's and early 70's.
Yes I'm showing my age here.
d.b.

Last edited:
Nicholas Mosher

Nicholas Mosher

Enthusiast
Cherry Poppin' Daddys in a small ballroom (100'x80') with about 200 people.
Absolutely Spectacular

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Best shows that I can still remember

No. 1 - Peter Gabriel's last tour with Genesis - The Lambe Lies Down on Broadway - 1974, Berkeley Community Theater, 1200 seats - on Windowpane

No. 2 - ELP - Welcome Back My Friends Tour - SF Civic Center 1974

No. 3 - Various Yes Concerts from 1972 to 1977 in SF - Winterland, Berkeley, Cow Palace

No. 4 - Todd Rundgren and Utopia - Winterland 1975

No. 5 - Pink Floyd - Oakland Coluseum - Animals - mid 70's

There were alot of great shows over the 10 years in the 70's, but these stand out for visual and visceral shows.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
About Dreams

Hey Dan! If I remember correctly Billy Cobham was the drummer for dreams. :cool:

20to20K

Full Audioholic
JoeE SP9 said:
Hey Dan! If I remember correctly Billy Cobham was the drummer for dreams. :cool:
I'm not Dan...but Cobham was the drummer for Dreams. I believe Micheal Brecker and Will Lee were also in the band. I'm not sure of the guitarist...was it Ambercrombie?

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
Best Live Concerts

I'm impressed! Cobham was the drummer, both Randy and Michael Brecker for trumpet and tenor sax, Dave Sanborn on Alto, and Will Lee on bass. I don't remember the rest of the band so I will look it up when I get home from work.
AH, those were the days!
d.b.

JVC

JVC

Banned
Besr overall concert experience was "Atlanta Pop Festival" in 1970. :D (Hendrix, Mountain, B.B. King, Rare Earth, etc..)
Best single concert was The Doobie Brothers. Have seen them twice, and they were great. Also, saw Steely Dan about a month before their first album (Can't Buy A Thrill) came out. They were great! Even saw Sam the Sham & the Pharohs one time. :D

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Dan Banquer said:
I'm impressed! Cobham was the drummer, both Randy and Michael Brecker for trumpet and tenor sax, Dave Sanborn on Alto, and Will Lee on bass. I don't remember the rest of the band so I will look it up when I get home from work.
AH, those were the days!
d.b.
These were some of my favorite musicians in the early 80's when I was first getting into jazz and I would often hear them speak about their time with Dreams in magazine interviews, liner notes, etc. Since I was born in 66' I did not have the pleasure of ever seeing them perform but I imagine they were a band well ahead of their time. Don't see much of their music in circulation either...maybe I'll look on Ebay. Which are their best albums?

Last edited:
D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
Best Live concerts

The original Dreams CD titled Dreams is hopefully still available on the Columbia Legacy Label. If it's out of print; contact me and I will burn you a copy.
In any case last night I looked up the original band members for Dreams from the liner notes of the Dreams CD. They are as follows:
Mike Brecker: Tenor Sax and Flute
Randy Brecker: Trumpet and Flugelhorn
Doug Lubahn: Bass and vocals
Barry Rogers: Trombone and Tuba
Ed Vernon: Lead Vocals
John Abercrombie: Lead guitar; replaced by Bob Mann later on
Lubahn and Kent were replaced by Will Lee and Don Grolnick later on also.
This is a remarkable CD if you understand and can appreciate it's place in jazz fusion history. They were absolutely stunning performers live.
d.b.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
I'll look for it this weekend...

Dan Banquer said:
The original Dreams CD titled Dreams is hopefully still available on the Columbia Legacy Label. If it's out of print; contact me and I will burn you a copy.
In any case last night I looked up the original band members for Dreams from the liner notes of the Dreams CD. They are as follows:
Mike Brecker: Tenor Sax and Flute
Randy Brecker: Trumpet and Flugelhorn
Doug Lubahn: Bass and vocals
Barry Rogers: Trombone and Tuba
Ed Vernon: Lead Vocals
John Abercrombie: Lead guitar; replaced by Bob Mann later on
Lubahn and Kent were replaced by Will Lee and Don Grolnick later on also.
This is a remarkable CD if you understand and can appreciate it's place in jazz fusion history. They were absolutely stunning performers live.
d.b.
I'll check FYE and Tower...maybe even look on Ebay for the vinyl (I'm a vinyl nut). If I can't find it I may take you up on your offer to burn it. I'm sure I can find something in my collection you would like and we can do an even exchange.

Grolnick was the one I forgot about. Grolnick had a album out in the 80's called "Hearts and Numbers" that was kind of a Dreams reunion. It had him,
Micheal and Randy, Will Lee and a couple others. I think Hiram Bullock was on guitar and Steve Jordan on drums though. It's pretty good. I have it on vinyl.

LONG LIVE FUSION!

Thanks,

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Dreams

20-20K Here is a list of the band members.
John Abercrombie, Michael Brecker, Don Grolnick, Randy Brecker, Billy Cobham, Jeff Kent, Will Lee, Doug Lubahn, Robert Mann, Barry Rogers, Edward Vernon I got this list from www.allmusic.com You might want to check www.musicstack.com for this and other LP's:cool:

Last edited:
B

bodhisattva

Audiophyte
good concerts

I've been to a lot of excellent concerts, some of my favorites were Pat Metheny, Leo Kottke, he's always worth seeing, in 1995, he almost made my jaw drop, Jeff Beck with Stevie Ray Vaughan, Marcus Roberts, Steely Dan, Oingo Boingo, too many others to mention....

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
never been to this concert but after learning and hearing the music, it seems like it would be pretty damn cool.. hes a ukulele player names jake shimabukuro

should check it out if youre into guitar or stuff like that.. "ehime maru", and "while guitar gently weeps" are probobly my favorite songs so far.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
AC/DC ...all 4 times. Nobody better in concert. Especially in their prime in the early 90's.

Aerosmith Pump tour was second.

Guns n Roses Use your Illusion Tour.

Def Leppard Hysteria tour

Pink Floyd Pulse tour.

Sorry Rob, Queensryche over AC/DC, especially back then?? You are obviously not an AC/DC fan.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Rush
Canadian Brass
Billy Joel
Springsteen
Garth Brooks
Paul Simon
The Rolling Stones

3beanlimit

Junior Audioholic
I never got to see a later day Floyd show so my first vote goes to ..

Roger Waters, The Idaho Center, in July of 2000.

Second...Tool. Unbeliveable.

Third, Page and Plant.

Forth, Pink Floyd, in ummm....70 maybe? Eugene Ore.

G

geo75

Audioholic Intern
1st any of the 23 Dead Concerts I got to witness

2nd Kiss: You wanted the best you got it

3rd Eagles: HFO

P

philh

Full Audioholic
J. Geils - Pine Knob in Northern Detroit Suburb. Absolute magical evening, perfect weather, an incredible number of encores, that only stopped when some #$#$%$%& A**H*** threw an M80 up on stage and blew up a monitor. Heard an interview 15-20 years later with Peter Wolf, and he said that same concert was his favorite.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis