What is the best home subwoofer in the world?

What are the most important features in a subwoofer (pick 2)?

• Low End Extension

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Max SPL

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Aesthetics

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Size

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Price

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Room EQ and DSP features

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
What are the Best Subwoofers in the World?

Realistically, most A/V enthusiasts are bassaholics at heart: few things in life can force a grin on our faces like a big deep bass effect in a movie reproduced with gusto. As a result, the question of which subwoofers are the best pop up on our forums quite a lot. Here we'll share a few of our cost-no-object favorites as well as a some relatively affordable options.

Check out some of our Best Subwoofer Picks here and let us know if you agree or disagree. Feel free to add your picks.

PS. We're just waiting for someone to say the $20k+ Rotary Subwoofer that goes down to DC :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the best overall sub in the world is the RBH SX-1212N because its MSRP is only $1450 and street price is around $1000. And it has a relatively small footprint. You could easily place a great bookshelf speaker atop this monster.
Would sure love to see what it can do using a 2500W class-D amp. :)

Would also like to see RBH make a bookshelf in a matching cabinet as the SX-1212N. :D

Last edited:
smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
As a PSA XS15se owner I of course am not really surprised to see it listed in one of the categories. I too can vouch for Tom's chat availability and honesty. He even talked me down to a sealed model from the vented model due to my room dimensions and intended use.

I am very pleased with the capability, performance and price of the subwoofer; highly recommended!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I could sort of see the point of best speakers thread, but best sub is where i draw the line.
No such thing exist. Reason is simple - i don't believe that we can call any sub best if it will could not deliver reference level bass in EVERY room/scenario .

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think there should be an additional category where WAF isn't in play at all. I am talking about the horn-loaded monsters by Danley, JTR, and the Pi 12π basshorn.

Also for the entry level subs, if we are talking best subs, the Hsu VTF2 mk4, Rythmik LV12r, and very likely the new Outlaw Ultra X12 will far outperform the SVS subs for only $100 more. At the moment the Outlaw LFM-1 plus is $450 shipped and it will wreck the SVS subs. If you have a large room, the Premier Acoustics PA-150 would be a vastly more preferable sub and can be had for less then the SVS subs.

Regarding budget sealed subs, the Reaction PS15x was tested by data-bass recently and exhibited better performance then the PSA XS15 and for the same price. It looks much nicer too. If shipping isn't factored, the Hsu ULS-15 is only $999 at the moment, and would also be a much more preferable option, as would be the Rythmik F15 priced at $974.

I can't really disagree with your budget-no-limit sealed choice though, the Funk 18.2 is definitely my choice when cost is not an object. However for the budget-no-limit ported, I would have to give that nod to the Captivator 2400. The performance delta between it and the SX1212P/R would just be too big. The SX1212P/R looks terrific and has its place when footprint is a factor, but mostly these killer subs go to dedicated rooms where that is not as much of a concern and the Cap 2400 would likely be so much further ahead of it.

pg_rider

pg_rider

Audioholic
No Paradigm Sub 1 or Sub 2? Your argument is invalid!!!! :D

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
>>>Regarding budget sealed subs, the Reaction PS15x was tested by data-bass recently and exhibited better performance then the PSA XS15 and for the same price. It looks much nicer too<<<

I would invite anyone interested to look over ALL of the data-bass measurements, including FR, impulse, Group delay, DSP controlled FR slope <30hz, etc etc and make their own minds up. Same goes for the "it looks much nicer too" comment..:)

I'd hate to think shady might be just a little biased against our products..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm also surprised that SVS was chosen for best entry level sub when for $100 more, the Rthymic LV12R bests it in every category

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
:cool: For its size, its not much bigger than my 15" Velodyne. 130dBs for Force :)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
No
I'm also surprised that SVS was chosen for best entry level sub when for $100 more, the Rthymic LV12R bests it in every category
Agree and I want to add there no such thing as best, it's relative to whom is claiming best.

Same as best car, best truck, best beer, best pair of shoes, best pancakes etc.etc..... Sure Funk is good, JL is good, even REL are good and I'm sure those on this list claim theirs is best https://www.avforums.com/threads/subwoofer-manufacturers-list.1233372/

PS: not to mention the DIY builders that can make a pretty good sub using top components

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
TC Sounds or bust. Though in today's market the Dayton Reference offerings are hard to beat.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I think there should be an additional category where WAF isn't in play at all. I am talking about the horn-loaded monsters by Danley, JTR, and the Pi 12π basshorn.
The problem is this category delves into the commercial side, which isn't our forte. I could randomly pick something like the Danley TH221, which appears to have adequate extension for home theater backed by ridiculous output levels, but is it "the best"? I simply couldn't say.

Also for the entry level subs, if we are talking best subs, the Hsu VTF2 mk4, Rythmik LV12r, and very likely the new Outlaw Ultra X12 will far outperform the SVS subs for only $100 more.
That's how the game always plays out though. For just a little more.... The thing is, the PB1000 offers a well-rounded package with adequate output for most, extension down to 20Hz, and top shelf customer support. Obviously there's room for improvement if you're willing to spend more, but we've also got to draw a line in the sand at some point, and $500 is as good as any for an "entry level" sub.

Regarding budget sealed subs, the Reaction PS15x was tested by data-bass recently and exhibited better performance
In some aspects, yes, in others, not so much. There's also other factors like customer support which PSA has built a strong reputation for, while Jeremy is still the new kid on the block.

If shipping isn't factored, the Hsu ULS-15 is only $999 at the moment, and would also be a much more preferable option, as would be the Rythmik F15 priced at $974.
How so? The only objective metric available on the Hsu is internal CEA 2010 output numbers, and those don't indicate that the ULS-15 is hammering the XS15se by any stretch. There's no info on the F15 that I know of.

I would have to give that nod to the Captivator 2400. The performance delta between it and the SX1212P/R would just be too big.
Unfortunately we just don't know what a Cap 2400 can do. Seat-of-the-pants estimates indicate it's much more powerful than a PB13, but we don't have any real objective data to say how much more powerful. Plus, the thing is ugly as sin anyway, which counts for something in this contest.

Last edited:
c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
TC Sounds or bust. Though in today's market the Dayton Reference offerings are hard to beat.
TSAD18v1 is a better driver than the Ultra according to Docks when it comes to sound quality. He had both... That doesn't even consider the v2 motor that I'm using ;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The problem is this category delves into the commercial side, which isn't our forte. I could randomly pick something like the Danley TH221, which appears to have adequate extension for home theater backed by ridiculous output levels, but is it "the best"? I simply couldn't say.
I know the JTR Orbit Shifter and some of the Danley subs like the DTS 10 are intended for home use. But I take your point, this is such a niche market there isn't enough out there to compare.

That's how the game always plays out though. For just a little more.... The thing is, the PB1000 offers a well-rounded package with adequate output for most, extension down to 20Hz, and top shelf customer support. Obviously there's room for improvement if you're willing to spend more, but we've also got to draw a line in the sand at some point, and $500 is as good as any for an "entry level" sub.
Again I take your point, but it's hard to recommend a PB1000 when for only a little more you could have something a lot better.

In some aspects, yes, in others, not so much. There's also other factors like customer support which PSA has built a strong reputation for, while Jeremy is still the new kid on the block.
Despite Tom's protest, I don't see how the PS15x is inferior, except for a steeper rolloff below 16 Hz, which wouldn't effect much anyway. If I had to choose one based on measurements alone and blind to the brand, I would go with the Reaction sub. If I had to choose one based on sight alone, again the Reaction is a lot nicer looking. Reaction has thus far had very responsive customer support, and remember that PSA isn't exactly an old established company, it has only been around for what, three years? There is a lead time with the Reaction sub, but for that wait you get a clearly better driver, better amp, and better cabinet.

How so? The only objective metric available on the Hsu is internal CEA 2010 output numbers, and those don't indicate that the ULS-15 is hammering the XS15se by any stretch. There's no info on the F15 that I know of.
The ULS doesn't have the upper bass sensitivity of the XS15, but I think it will perform better down low. The ULS driver is based on the Adire Tumult 15 and the XS15 is using a Eminence lab 15 based driver. I'll take a Tumult 15 thank you very much, it promises better low end performance, and then there is other factors, like wireless connectivity, XLR connectivity (which turned out to save me a big hassle), speaker level inputs, ability to flatten out the response for 0/-1 dB over 15 - 200 Hz, a much nicer finish and aesthetic, a subwoofer that will not 'walk' away, and great customer support from a company that PSA is the new kid on the block in comparison to. All the same is true for the Rythmik sub as well. And, for an intangible, Rythmik and Hsu promote their products with a humility that completely escapes PSA, despite the superiority of Rythmiks and Hsu products.

Plus, the thing is ugly as sin anyway, which counts for something in this contest.
One thing I would love to see is someone paint a happy face on the cone of a big ugly bruiser like the Cap 2400.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
TSAD18v1 is a better driver than the Ultra according to Docks when it comes to sound quality. He had both... That doesn't even consider the v2 motor that I'm using ;)
Comparing them on data-bass, it looks like the Ultra has the edge below 30 hz but the TSAD does better above 30 Hz. Both measure terrifically though, some of the very best 18"s on there, superb. I'd love to see how the TSADv2 compares.

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
Comparing them on data-bass, it looks like the Ultra has the edge below 30 hz but the TSAD does better above 30 Hz. Both measure terrifically though, some of the very best 18"s on there, superb. I'd love to see how the TSADv2 compares.
SPL is always nice, but there is other factors that make a subwoofer sound great.

The TSAD series is a "quick" driver. And Docks noticed that. Could be due to it's linearity and design.

One thing to note as well. Room gain boosts lower frequencies quite a bit ;) It becomes pretty complete in a room.

The TSAD18V2 is simply a monster in my room. You can find the measurement in room with distortion chart on my line array review.

When I get home I can see if I can post the chart up here for you :)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
You might want to add Sound Quality / Low distortion to the polls as well ;) the 2 are also important
i'm not the one who made the poll. just found it asking to pick 2, but with only one choice available.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis