What is the best home subwoofer in the world?

What are the most important features in a subwoofer (pick 2)?

• Low End Extension

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Max SPL

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Aesthetics

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Size

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Price

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Room EQ and DSP features

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
The Funk Audio 18.0 has been tested by databass. The impulse response is definitely interesting ;)
I know. I'm talking about seeing their more powerful units tested, with the new driver :)

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Perhaps in terms of overall output. But most people don't need 130dB of bass in their 18' x 20' rooms.

Best doesn't always mean "most output". Best could mean "best sound to you".

It's like saying "best car". Sure, a Ferrari will blow away most cars in terms of speed. But most people don't drive 100 MPH on the 65MPH limit highways. I actually drive 65MPH. So a Lexus LX 570 is my "best vehicle". :)
I don't think he's talking about output. I think he's talking about extension/distortion/other things as well :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think he's talking about output. I think he's talking about extension/distortion/other things as well :)
Have those subs been measured by 3rd party like Data-Bass so we can compare the numbers?

But regardless of those numbers, ultimately it is about how the subs sound to you in your system and how they integrate and fit in your system.

So the word "Best Subwoofer" still means different things for everyone.

Now if it were "Best Subwoofers in terms of measurements by Data-Bass", that would be a different story.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately they have not. I really hope they get measured eventually :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately they have not. I really hope they get measured eventually :)
That will be the day when JTR, Seaton, etc., have 3rd parties to measure any of their products.

To be fair, I also understand why they don't care to have their products measured by 3rd parties. I mean if customers love the sound of their speakers and subwoofers, they don't need 3rd party measurements to know that they love the sound. They can just hear it.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
The best sub in the world has to be the one I OWN:D ok guys that should be it you all know where you stand now:D

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
That will be the day when JTR, Seaton, etc., have 3rd parties to measure any of their products.

To be fair, I also understand why they don't care to have their products measured by 3rd parties. I mean if customers love the sound of their speakers and subwoofers, they don't need 3rd party measurements to know that they love the sound. They can just hear it.
That's exactly right that's why mine is best.I keep telling you guys:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's exactly right that's why mine is best.I keep telling you guys:D
Yeah. Pretty subjective. Everyone has an idea of what is "best" sound quality whether it is bass, midrange, or treble.

I unequivocally feel my system has the ultimate bass in the world. ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Seriously?
Why isn't transient or pulse response considered an "important feature"?

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Seriously?
Why isn't transient or pulse response considered an "important feature"?
It's my belief that these measurements are the ones that most refer to when describing the 'speed', or 'pace' of a sub. The ability of the amp to control the driver's ability to instantaneously stop and start should be, at the very least, a factor of consideration.

annunaki

annunaki

So Gene, linearity (motor & suspension or frequency, pick the poison) was not on the list?

For me that is one of the most important features. It seemed like a short list for picking two and not having linearity or at least "Sound Quality" as an option seemed odd.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I'm surprised low distortion wasn't on the attribute list. Extension and output at what distortion level seem like most important characteristics.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
CEA 2010 measurements (clear winner)
Waterfall / Impulse Control (tied for second)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis