What is the best home subwoofer in the world?

What are the most important features in a subwoofer (pick 2)?

• Low End Extension

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Max SPL

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Aesthetics

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Size

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Price

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Room EQ and DSP features

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters
djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Well hell Mike, seeing as how you've owned just about every meaningful sub made in the last 20 years what would your pick be?

DJ

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Well hell Mike, seeing as how you've owned just about every meaningful sub made in the last 20 years what would your pick be?

DJ
i didn't get to own all that i would have wanted. but i'm happy where i am right now :)
i'm curious how the PSA's sound. that triax looks awesome. (but big)

but i can say this though, SPL is about last on my list. i've literally had ceiling lifting subwoofers, but all that power doesn't mean anything if you don't like the SQ and each one is bigger than a small fridge.

my list would be:
SQ
size
aesthetics
price
low end extension
SPL
DSP features

room EQ should be external IMO

you can always get some more if you want more SPL.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Again I take your point, but it's hard to recommend a PB1000 when for only a little more you could have something a lot better.
I remember having narrowed my sub choices down between the PB1000 and the LV12-R. I went to various forums and asked their opinion of which one to choose and it was unamioulsy stacked for the LV12R. I read J-MANs review on both subs and his review clearly states the the LV12-R is the new benchmark in that price class to be measured against. :)

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
i didn't get to own all that i would have wanted. but i'm happy where i am right now :)
i'm curious how the PSA's sound. that triax looks awesome. (but big)

but i can say this though, SPL is about last on my list. i've literally had ceiling lifting subwoofers, but all that power doesn't mean anything if you don't like the SQ and each one is bigger than a small fridge.

my list would be:
SQ
size
aesthetics
price
low end extension
SPL
DSP features

room EQ should be external IMO

you can always get some more if you want more SPL.

Ya, a pair of Triaxs would b badass.

DJ

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Comparing them on data-bass, it looks like the Ultra has the edge below 30 hz but the TSAD does better above 30 Hz. Both measure terrifically though, some of the very best 18"s on there, superb. I'd love to see how the TSADv2 compares.
To offer my 2 cents since it's a topic I had some interest in:

The LMS-U does have an edge in low end output per DB, but there are some factors to consider:
1. It's in a larger cabinet than the Funk driver, which improves low end sensitivity and reduces distortion.
2. We don't know the voltage needed to drive the LMS-U to max clean output in the burst testing, but we do know that it took 130V to push it to ~108dB at 20Hz, which is a bit over 4kW into 4 ohms.

To get a different picture, you might also look at Ilkka's measurements of the LMS-U in a 100L cabinet, effectively the old version of the FW18.0:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/8155-diy-tc-sounds-lms-5400-18-sealed-100l.html
Even there, its being driven by 3.6kW of amplification vs 2.4kW, which theoretically represents a further 1.7dB difference. Still for Nathan's purposes it starts to become clear why the TSAD is preferred: in the 18.0's cabinet and with a 2.4kW amp, the LMS's low end advantage largely evaporates, while the TSAD still has a useful advantage in upper end sensitivity/output.

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I remember having narrowed my sub choices down between the PB1000 and the LV12-R. I went to various forums and asked their opinion of which one to choose and it was unamioulsy stacked for the LV12R. I read J-MANs review on both subs and his review clearly states the the LV12-R is the new benchmark in that price class to be measured against. :)
You coulda done much better if you bought my funk & for less;). For the record the pb1000 is pretty much entry level that incorporates a 10" driver...so lets not get ahead of ourselves but we get it you love your sub.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You coulda done much better if you bought my funk & for less;). For the record the pb1000 is pretty much entry level that incorporates a 10" driver...so lets not get ahead of ourselves but we get it you love your sub.
Exactly what am I getting ahead of? Just curious.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
To offer my 2 cents since it's a topic I had some interest in:

The LMS-U does have an edge in low end output per DB, but there are some factors to consider:
1. It's in a larger cabinet than the Funk driver, which improves low end sensitivity and reduces distortion.
2. We don't know the voltage needed to drive the LMS-U to max clean output in the burst testing, but we do know that it took 130V to push it to ~108dB at 20Hz, which is a bit over 4kW into 4 ohms.

To get a different picture, you might also look at Ilkka's measurements of the LMS-U in a 100L cabinet, effectively the old version of the FW18.0:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/8155-diy-tc-sounds-lms-5400-18-sealed-100l.html
Even there, its being driven by 3.6kW of amplification vs 2.4kW, which theoretically represents a further 1.7dB difference. Still for Nathan's purposes it starts to become clear why the TSAD is preferred: in the 18.0's cabinet and with a 2.4kW amp, the LMS's low end advantage largely evaporates, while the TSAD still has a useful advantage in upper end sensitivity/output.
One driver folks may not be aware of is the HST18" from stereo integrity. It measured even with the the LMS and the RE Audio XXX and it's a cheaper driver to boot. At only 589 it's certainly a great option.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
In addition to the SI HST-18, the Sundown ZV4-18D2 and Mach 5 UXL-18 had a nice showing on data-bass. I'd really love to see the Seatons, JTRs, Funks, PSA Triax, and Bossobass systems tested one day :D

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
In addition to the SI HST-18, the Sundown ZV4-18D2 and Mach 5 UXL-18 had a nice showing on data-bass. I'd really love to see the Seatons, JTRs, Funks, PSA Triax, and Bossobass systems tested one day :D
I'd like to have afront row seat for that test. Talk about a gut mixing event!

DJ

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
One driver folks may not be aware of is the HST18" from stereo integrity. It measured even with the the LMS and the RE Audio XXX and it's a cheaper driver to boot. At only 589 it's certainly a great option.
I don't think its quite on the level of the Ultra LMS. Compare distortion and linearity, it's good but not as good as the LMS. The LMS is nearly perfect. Perfectly flat response and vanishingly low distortion, almost entirely under 10% THD from 20 hz up at a 120 dB sweep. The TSAD is mostly the same, I do think they are a step above the Sundown Z4, HST18, and UXL-18, but of course the price reflects that.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Exactly what am I getting ahead of? Just curious.

besting the pb1000 is really not a momentous feat....having experienced its predecessor I can assure you its a decent entry level sub & delivered for >$500.00 hard to beat!

IIRC his review(Jmans) listed the LV12R in the >$600.00 price class likely competing with the likes of the outlaw or Hsu 2.4 to name a few as they share a common size driver and related specs. Anyhow that's all I have to say as I voted on price & aesthetics being a major factor.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
besting the pb1000 is really not a momentous feat....having experienced its predecessor I can assure you its a decent entry level sub & delivered for >$500.00 hard to beat!

IIRC his review(Jmans) listed the LV12R in the >$600.00 price class likely competing with the likes of the outlaw or Hsu 2.4 to name a few as they share a common size driver and related specs. Anyhow that's all I have to say as I voted on price & aesthetics being a major factor.
I keep thinking the LV12R is still hovering around $550.00 which is what I bought it for. Regardless of what price class Jman said, he considered the sub to be the new benchmark at that price class. I voted for extension and DSP and the LV12R delivers the goods.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I keep thinking the LV12R is still hovering around $550.00 which is what I bought it for. Regardless of what price class Jman said, he considered the sub to be the new benchmark at that price class. I voted for extension and DSP and the LV12R delivers the goods.
You do realize that Rythmik subs do not use DSPs, right?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You do realize that Rythmik subs do not use DSPs, right?
Yeah I know. But it had enough parameters that I could configure to help me with a seamless integration with my room and speakers.

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
The Funk Audio 18.0 has been tested by databass. The impulse response is definitely interesting ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Danley, JTR, and Seaton blow nearly all of them away.
Perhaps in terms of overall output. But most people don't need 130dB of bass in their 18' x 20' rooms.

Best doesn't always mean "most output". Best could mean "best sound to you".

It's like saying "best car". Sure, a Ferrari will blow away most cars in terms of speed. But most people don't drive 100 MPH on the 65MPH limit highways. I actually drive 65MPH. So a Lexus LX 570 is my "best vehicle". :)

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Perhaps in terms of overall output. But most people don't need 130dB of bass in their 18' x 20' rooms.

Best doesn't always mean "most output". Best could mean "best sound to you".

It's like saying "best car". Sure, a Ferrari will blow away most cars in terms of speed. But most people don't drive 100 MPH on the 65MPH limit highways. I actually drive 65MPH. So a Lexus LX 570 is my "best vehicle". :)
That's because you're old.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis