What is the Best 50in Flat Panel made?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hmrz. Bottom of the line 1080p Pana vs superceded non-Elite Pioneers. Interesting!

I'm positive they will be very hard to find, but I've read that the 5020 has 5x better black levels than the 5010.

I have reason to believe that the Panasonic top of the line V10 series is superior to both the 5020 and 5010.

The one thing that the 5020 might* have over the V10 is motion resolution, which is, so far as I know, not even a truly accepted metric yet.

I will assume the V10 will have the best shadow detail of any TV mentioned here so far. It does not apply 3:2 like the S1, has far more consumer-level pic controls, add THX mode to that, and from my personal experiences, the video processing differences are easily discernible with different Pana models, when side by side with the same source material.

I don't know how this thread went from BEST 50" TV, straight to the bottom of the line Panasonic, but if BEST still matters, I'd keep hunting for a 111 or 500M, and less those, get the V10. Mebbe the 5020, but I'd probably go V10.

olddog

olddog

Audioholic
Hmrz. Bottom of the line 1080p Pana vs superceded non-Elite Pioneers. Interesting!

I'm positive they will be very hard to find, but I've read that the 5020 has 5x better black levels than the 5010.

I have reason to believe that the Panasonic top of the line V10 series is superior to both the 5020 and 5010.

The one thing that the 5020 might* have over the V10 is motion resolution, which is, so far as I know, not even a truly accepted metric yet.

I will assume the V10 will have the best shadow detail of any TV mentioned here so far. It does not apply 3:2 like the S1, has far more consumer-level pic controls, add THX mode to that, and from my personal experiences, the video processing differences are easily discernible with different Pana models, when side by side with the same source material.

I don't know how this thread went from BEST 50" TV, straight to the bottom of the line Panasonic, but if BEST still matters, I'd keep hunting for a 111 or 500M, and less those, get the V10. Mebbe the 5020, but I'd probably go V10.
HH lowerd my expitations somewhat to a 1k to 1.5k.:mad::(:confused::rolleyes::eek: I realy do appreciate the info and am leaving right now for BB to interview:D some of these bad boys!

H

HearingImpaired

Audioholic Intern
HH lowerd my expitations somewhat to a 1k to 1.5k.:mad::(:confused::rolleyes::eek: I realy do appreciate the info and am leaving right now for BB to interview:D some of these bad boys!
It's fine man, stuff happens sometimes unfortunate things but to be honest you can still get a hell of a nice tv set for that money. Now this kind of ticks me off a little bit, this site was selling this set for $1199 with free Panasonic blu ray player a couple weeks ago and now the price has gone up almost $200 and they're offering no blu ray player. It still is a decent deal from an authorized source however and is by no mean's a slouch of a tv. Here's the link.http://www.us-appliance.com/tcp50g10.html

H

HearingImpaired

Audioholic Intern
Edit the g15 does now come with a free blu ray player guess I didn't pay attention or they changed it.

BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
The 500M and the 101FD have deeper black levels (when playing a source) compared to all other Pio 9G Models.

Last edited by a moderator:
olddog

olddog

Audioholic
Thanks as always! Well I just got back from auditioning and I have 2 sets I am trying to decide about now
Pioneer PDP5010FD 50in
Samsung PN58B550 58in
I loved the PQ on the Pio but also Loved the size of the Sammy (it totally would fill up my space)(56in in width available) 12.5' seating from set. Any good advice would be appreciated, as they are both identical in price. Thanks P.S. I watched the new Star Trek on both and was impressed with both.

H

HearingImpaired

Audioholic Intern
Thanks as always! Well I just got back from auditioning and I have 2 sets I am trying to decide about now
Pioneer PDP5010FD 50in
Samsung PN58B550 58in
I loved the PQ on the Pio but also Loved the size of the Sammy (it totally would fill up my space)(56in in width available) 12.5' seating from set. Any good advice would be appreciated, as they are both identical in price. Thanks P.S. I watched the new Star Trek on both and was impressed with both.
I can't speak for the Pioneer but I have the PN50B550 which is the 50 inch model of the one you're looking at and I can say it's been awesome for me. I use it to watch some standard definition, but mostly HD cable and Blu ray and it is impressive. As far as bang for the buck it's one of the better tv's out there. It has 4 Hdmi imputs, and an extensive amount of picture adjustments. Some reported that they've had problems with buzzing but I have had no such problems.
Additionally the extra 8 inches that you would be getting is priceless, and as good of a tv as you would be getting by purchasing it would just be an added incentive. If you do decide on this tv, I have some setting that I will give you that have been used on a calibrated model of the tv. Anyways here are the setting and also an in depth review by plasma tv buying guide. Hope this helps.http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/samsung-pn50b550-calibration.html

olddog

olddog

Audioholic
I can't speak for the Pioneer but I have the PN50B550 which is the 50 inch model of the one you're looking at and I can say it's been awesome for me. I use it to watch some standard definition, but mostly HD cable and Blu ray and it is impressive. As far as bang for the buck it's one of the better tv's out there. It has 4 Hdmi imputs, and an extensive amount of picture adjustments. Some reported that they've had problems with buzzing but I have had no such problems.
Additionally the extra 8 inches that you would be getting is priceless, and as good of a tv as you would be getting by purchasing it would just be an added incentive. If you do decide on this tv, I have some setting that I will give you that have been used on a calibrated model of the tv. Anyways here are the setting and also an in depth review by plasma tv buying guide. Hope this helps.http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/samsung-pn50b550-calibration.html
Thanks Big time!!
Nothing like advice from someone thats been there.

olddog

olddog

Audioholic
Thanks everyone. I pulled the trigger on a PN58B550 58 just now on one of those on-line auction sights. No one else was bidding and I got it for a very reasonable price from what I can tell from surfing other shopping sights for the last couple of weeks.:eek::confused::D

I really do appreciate all the help with this purchase from all of you!
Have a safe Holiday Season!
Thanks again
Mike
Now I go shopping for a BP. OPPO83 I think.

H

HearingImpaired

Audioholic Intern
Thanks everyone. I pulled the trigger on a PN58B550 58 just now on one of those on-line auction sights. No one else was bidding and I got it for a very reasonable price from what I can tell from surfing other shopping sights for the last couple of weeks.:eek::confused::D

I really do appreciate all the help with this purchase from all of you!
Have a safe Holiday Season!
Thanks again
Mike
Now I go shopping for a BP. OPPO83 I think.
Nice,
Congrats on the purchase, you will really enjoy the tv, especially all 58 inches of it! Make sure you try those settings I recommended to you, they really give a realistic picture, I use those settings for just about all the programing I watch as well as blu ray and dvd. I use dynamic only on animated films and cartoons where it really brings out the colors. I think the BP OPPO83 is also a fantastic choice for blu ray players, it has received excellant reviews. Anyways have fun with the set and good luck.

-Josh

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
My New panel will be here between 11 am and 2 pm, Pioneer 500M with matching side speaks and the ped. stand.
Break in disc is already in the HD player, and I am going to download the control cal patch this afternoon, now I just need the proper cable, but I guess I have time as the break in is only about 150 hours :eek: I will not give in and watch until the break in is complete, lol....

BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
My New panel will be here between 11 am and 2 pm, Pioneer 500M with matching side speaks and the ped. stand.
Break in disc is already in the HD player, and I am going to download the control cal patch this afternoon, now I just need the proper cable, but I guess I have time as the break in is only about 150 hours :eek:
Congrats on the 500M purchase Sawz. You're going to luv it. :)

I will not give in and watch until the break in is complete, lol....

You can also watch regular programming you wish. ;)

BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
My New panel will be here between 11 am and 2 pm, Pioneer 500M
And if you have any question(s) let me know and I'll be very glad to help. :)

First thing to know...

You must press the {POWER} button located on bottom left of the back panel or you won't be able to turn the 500M on.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Runco (NEC) does make a nice panel. Very expensive. Last time I checked 50" Plasma $10.000.--. Maybe now they came down a little.
Fujitsu is pricy too. Best bet for the money IMO is Pioneer or just go with a Panasonic and save a ton of money.
Fujitsu stopped making plasmas years ago. They never even made a 1080p AFAIK. Their plasmas were the only ones I remember being better than the Pioneer Elites at that time. This was 2007.

I'm glad no one mentioned any LCD's. There is hope for the world!

BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
Fujitsu stopped making plasmas years ago. They never even made a 1080p AFAIK. Their plasmas were the only ones I remember being better than the Pioneer Elites at that time. This was 2007.

I'm glad no one mentioned any LCD's. There is hope for the world!
The best Fujitsu Plasmas used Panasonic Panels. :)

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I just about gave up when out in the drive there was such a clatter I ran to the door to see whats the matter when down at the end I could see a big sled riding on eighteen tiny wheels, I knew then that there is a Santa and my present was here early, by a Christmas standpoint, late by all other accounts.
Well its here , my 500 M Pioneer was just delivered at 5:15 PM, 3 and one half hours late but I still cant stop smiling, I dont even think I'll fire it up as it was sporting a temp. of about 15 degrees with the wind chill so I'll let it warm up till say , Saturday :D can't take any chances , also I will get some pics to post up as well, sawz..woo hoo baby.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis