What is meant by “axis”?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just marvel at recorded music in general. It was wonderful from a Magnavox Transistor Radio when I was 9 years old and almost as wonderful today from my current equipment; and, I've gotta tell ya, I do not have a clue about the specs of my speakers. I simply heard a similar model set up on a back porch to give some life to an outdoor party. That was back in 1973 and the speakers were JBL L100's. I wanted to buy a pair at my local store the next morning but could not come up with the funds. I had to wait about 13 years for a pair of L100t3's, which I still enjoy today. Every genre sounds great; and, I perceive the only short coming is not being able to fill my relatively large listening area with rock concert level sound without some sense of the speakers being strained. At any rate, I'm sure there must be a corollary between a speaker's specifications and what I hear; so, isn't the science understood enough today to make anybody happy with anything that honors the desired specifications? I mean how is it possible to make a bad speaker today, unless there's simply no engineering to it at all. So, what would be a name brand example of that? Seems TLS Guy's statement, " When it comes to specs most speaker manufacturers are morons. They give incomplete and misleading specs, as a rule. There are precious few speaker manufacturers whose specs are even useful and can be trusted", is a rather broad brushed opinion. Would not sales be so bad that the product would never become a name brand?

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I just marvel at recorded music in general. It was wonderful from a Magnavox Transistor Radio when I was 9 years old and almost as wonderful today from my current equipment; and, I've gotta tell ya, I do not have a clue about the specs of my speakers. I simply heard a similar model set up on a back porch to give some life to an outdoor party. That was back in 1973 and the speakers were JBL L100's. I wanted to buy a pair at my local store the next morning but could not come up with the funds. I had to wait about 13 years for a pair of L100t3's, which I still enjoy today. Every genre sounds great; and, I perceive the only short coming is not being able to fill my relatively large listening area with rock concert level sound without some sense of the speakers being strained. At any rate, I'm sure there must be a corollary between a speaker's specifications and what I hear; so, isn't the science understood enough today to make anybody happy with anything that honors the desired specifications? I mean how is it possible to make a bad speaker today, unless there's simply no engineering to it at all. So, what would be a name brand example of that? Seems TLS Guy's statement, " When it comes to specs most speaker manufacturers are morons. They give incomplete and misleading specs, as a rule. There are precious few speaker manufacturers whose specs are even useful and can be trusted", is a rather broad brushed opinion. Would not sales be so bad that the product would never become a name brand?
I believe what some of these guys are getting at with the on-off Axis, is that, On Axis is a accurate speaker you will hear a more Define soundstage, instruments more localized, like hear the cello in the background clearer. Voices, mid to upper range accurate. Now as for the low-end 'bass" that would be subjective. You have a smaller drive say one 6" as opposed to a 10 or 12" sure low-end output will be much better by design. Totally agree, These speaker manufacturers specs, can not be taken as golden. Same with amps, avr, or source. Over inflated specs, or the one I like the best which has widely been used. When I hear the terminology used, 'Underrated' especially with amp specs. In this site alone and other forums the ones with that are very knowledgeable amongst each other get in pissing contest all the time. This Thread alone speaks for itself. I will say this Not everyone likes, wants, a flat sounding speaker's, or even a flat line amp ' neutral' sounding amp. If that was the case, there would be No tone controls, no EQ or just one Big ass 18' speaker On Axis. Very subjective hobby were in.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
What is on axis and off axis of a speaker? What controls it? Is one better than the other? Is it measured both horizontal and vertical? Why do some speakers do some do better?
'What is on axis and off axis of a speaker? Answer: 'an imaginary line'. What controls it? Answer: 'Damping Factor'. Is one better than the other? Answer: 'Depends on how much reefer you smoke'. Is it measured both horizonal and vertical? Answer : See last answer. Why do some speakers do some do better? Answer: Go shopping at "Go to Go" Joe's Home Audio Specialty Shoppy.;). Than you will be Good4it with your home audio system. ;).

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis