What is a Super Tweeter Speaker?

AperionAudio

AperionAudio

Audiophyte
What is a Super Tweeter speaker? Put simply, it’s an additional tweeter unit which covers a wide and extended high-frequency response, beyond that of your existing loudspeaker’s integrated tweeters.
Super_Tweeter_Hero_Pair_1000x1000_4000x.progressive.jpg

Many loud speaker systems have poor high frequency performance. A Super Tweeter specializes in ultra-high frequencies and is used in conjunction with a bookshelf or tower speaker. Its purpose is to create a more realistic sound field, often characterized as "airiness," that enhances the listening experience.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Other threads on the subject

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm not against super tweeters, but they really should be intrinsic to the design of the speaker. C'mon Aperion, you can do better than this.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Other threads on the subject
I was wondering who’d get there first!

Here’s the quick reference...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Highs like “SSSSSSS!”

Ah, yes, that one never gets old. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not against super tweeters, but they really should be intrinsic to the design of the speaker. C'mon Aperion, you can do better than this.
I wonder about these "super-tweeters" since Legacy Audio towers like Whisper, Aeris, Focus, and Signature also have "super tweeters".

Do they increase dynamics in the treble region where we can actually HEAR (like 3-12 kHz)?

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wonder about these "super-tweeters" since Legacy Audio towers like Whisper, Aeris, Focus, and Signature also have "super tweeters".

I wonder if having extra midrange drivers (instead of super-tweeter) be more beneficial to increase dynamics?
An extra midrange driver would absolutely be more beneficial for increased dynamic range, however supertweeters can help with dynamic range. They can allow you to use a larger or heavier tweeter when it doesn't have to worry about high-treble. Look at this big bastard, for example. That is a 8" AMT tweeter. It will have massive dynamic range from 3kHz to 10kHz, but its response falls off above 10kHz. That isn't a problem if you can cross over to a supertweeter.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
We love super tweeters here!

So wait, Aperion has a separate super tweeter now that you just set on top of your existing speakers?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have not used a super tweeter for about 50 Years.

In my apartment as a student I had a JW full range driver in a TL. These units start to roll off at 10 KHz. Unusually for a full ranger, there is no break up peak.

STC 9 Standard Telephones and cables made a ribbon auditorium mic for the BBC. The BBC asked STC to build a super tweeter for one of their monitors. This was back in the tube days, when everything was 16 ohm. These tweeters were made available to the public. So I used a couple of these to supplement the JWs above 10 KHz. Those TLs were really good speakers by the way.

STC broke up and the audio division was sold to Coles. So these became know as the Coles super tweeter.

Here is a Spendor BC1 monitor with that tweeter. It is the top unit. It was a very good tweeter.

This Aperion product is Bogus BS.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
An extra midrange driver would absolutely be more beneficial for increased dynamic range, however supertweeters can help with dynamic range. They can allow you to use a larger or heavier tweeter when it doesn't have to worry about high-treble. Look at this big bastard, for example. That is a 8" AMT tweeter. It will have massive dynamic range from 3kHz to 10kHz, but its response falls off above 10kHz. That isn't a problem if you can cross over to a supertweeter.
If only the new RBH non-modular-Tower could have dual 12" woofers, dual 10" midrange, and single 5"x1" AMT tweeter. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
We love super tweeters here!

So wait, Aperion has a separate super tweeter now that you just set on top of your existing speakers?

Looks like it.
Hey, we add subs for low end bass like buuuuuuh...
Why not add super tweets for highs like SSSSSS!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis