Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I recall this one! I saw a nice interview with Jason(not you lol) a while back too. He was very candid, but still a fan. I like Jason a lot. I have “live poop, binge and purge”. It’s a concert from the Justice tour, and a bunch of black album tour. I love when he gets on the mic. He’s just a beast, and a great bass player too. Can’t remember where I saw this, but there was a version of Justice that had the bass levels pushed up where they should be. It sounded fukkin bad ass.
My problem is I have to suspend disbelief worse than watching a movie when I listen to the old studio works, because I know how many splices are on all that tape. Lars has ruined Metallica for me. That’s horribly ironic.
I have (or had) Binge n Purge too.

I'll have to listen for the splices you're talking about. I didn't know anything about playing drums when I was listening to them every day so nothing ever jumped out at me.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have (or had) Binge n Purge too.

I'll have to listen for the splices you're talking about. I didn't know anything about playing drums when I was listening to them every day so nothing ever jumped out at me.
Well, you’ll definitely have to pay close attention. Not even sure you’ll detect most of them. I read some engineer notes one time, and they talked about how Lars recorded a lot of sections by I fill at a time, or short rhythm section then they’d(Fleming Rasmussen) punch in whatever they wanted.
I always wondered why they never played Dyers eve live until a few years ago...couldn’t. I saw them play the Golden God award. Tried to play disposable heros(the song that first streamed to them, and first Metallica song I learned to play!). Choked.....
I looked for those engineers notes online recently. They’ve been placed in Area 51 mysteriously. Lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What if... Lars didn't ruin And Justice by completely killing Jason's bass??

Some justice for Jason, lol. Whoever "fixed" this didn't do too bad. I can actually hear the ring of his strings in spots. There's more going on than just turning the bass up. I'm listening to it right now and it really changes the album for the better, imo.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What if... Lars didn't ruin And Justice by completely killing Jason's bass??

Some justice for Jason, lol. Whoever "fixed" this didn't do too bad. I can actually hear the ring of his strings in spots. There's more going on than just turning the bass up. I'm listening to it right now and it really changes the album for the better, imo.
It actually sounds more modern and timeless, and complete. Fukkin Lars...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So, what's your beef with Lars?
I think I can speak for Bill because I have the same issues. Lars is a control freak, not a very good drummer and makes stupid decisions that ruin records!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think I can speak for Bill because I have the same issues. Lars is a control freak, not a very good drummer and makes stupid decisions that ruin records!
Yep. Basically this.

His drumming proficiency has more to do with the recording team than him. His live performances are disgusting. Fills that not only are NOT from the songs he’s playing, but are disjointed and take away more than they add. Plus, he has ZERO METER WHATSOEVER!!!!!!!!! He rushes and pulls back, and it’s just sad. My problem is probably that I actually admired him, and spent many hours playing their material. Then I watched him abandon his craft, and at best, phone it in, and also find out how much the engineers actually cut n pasted his contributions to construct songs.
There are countless drummers out there who are unsung, but play for the song, and try to improve their skills, and improve their music. I could articulate for hours, but nah. I’ve wasted enough time on him.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In other words, almost any technically proficient drumming you hear on an album is spliced together from 15 different takes of the same song. Especially And Justice. That whole album is way above Lars' skill level and there are songs that they flat out do not play live from it because of this.

Which, okay. I could give the guy a break, but then he calls the shots on how and what goes on the albums and he's the least talented member of the band! The reason And Justice has NO audible bass guitar is because Lars told the mixers to "turn it all the way down so you can barely hear it" just to be a dick.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I was just curious and it as not my intent to rip off old scabs, or something like that. I do admit I'm not vegetarian, though :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was just curious and it as not my intent to rip off old scabs, or something like that. I do admit I'm not vegetarian, though :)
Haha!!!
Nah, no worries. It is a sticking point that I exploit every chance I get though lol.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It is our love of Metallica that drives such a passionate reaction to Lars and his antics! :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@William Lemmerhirt

This dude takes forever to get through the intro so skip to 5 minutes. That's where he starts critiquing. "Oh, oh man. That was bad!", "Ewww", "What?! What was that? Oh no! What happened there?".

*Edit: "Oh man, this is a f*cking clown show!" Rofl!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@William Lemmerhirt

This dude takes forever to get through the intro so skip to 5 minutes. That's where he starts critiquing. "Oh, oh man. That was bad!", "Ewww", "What?! What was that? Oh no! What happened there?".

*Edit: "Oh man, this is a f*cking clown show!" Rofl!
That’s funny, I just saw that not too long ago. Couldn’t really hear the stupidity, but I guess it’s more about the guys reaction so...
One of my favorite fills is the long Tom fill in the studio version opening of creeping death. Whatever the hell he does now is like from a different song, and stupid besides.
I should make my own video!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis