What HT and Audio Mags to you subscribe to?

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Home Theater magazine, along with Pop Sci, Pop Mech, and an annoying newsletter from my neighborhood HOA.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
Naughty Night Nurses in Bondage...(just kidding) I subscribe to The Absolute Sound mostly for the music reviews. TAS and Stereophile contain way too much snakeoil to be taken seriously, IMHO. The online forums are much more fun.:D

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I like and subscribe to Stereophile. Is there some snake oil in the mag? Sure. But for the most part it lets me see what is out there product wise. I think they have done what it took to stay afloat...and if that meant taking ad money from cryogneically treated speaker cable companies then fine. At a dollar an issue delivered I think it is a good value. I like how they review music- by including a rating for the SQ of the recording. I don't hate subjectivists like many here seem to. I try not to hate anything. I just want the music I love to sound the best that it can in my rig.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Sound and Vision. Got StereoReview back in the early eighties. Used to have the one with the CD tied to a Christmas tree that was posted in the recent S/V anniversary edition. Not sure if I threw it away when I recently remodeled.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
I like and subscribe to Stereophile. Is there some snake oil in the mag? Sure. But for the most part it lets me see what is out there product wise. I think they have done what it took to stay afloat...and if that meant taking ad money from cryogneically treated speaker cable companies then fine. At a dollar an issue delivered I think it is a good value. I like how they review music- by including a rating for the SQ of the recording. I don't hate subjectivists like many here seem to. I try not to hate anything. I just want the music I love to sound the best that it can in my rig.
Stereophile, TAS and the other "high end" mags are one of the main reasons why the myths and fallacies in the audio industry never die.

If they have to take money from the cable conmen and indirectly help con people in order to stay afloat then maybe they shouldn't be staying afloat.

A dollar? The last time I looked it was $15+ here in Norway.

And btw, there is very little in life that I hate, and certainly nothing to do with this hobby (dude, really, it’s just audio). But, when magazines promote and propagate idiocy and ignorance which costs people money and apologetics like you then say, "hey, it's only a dollar", really, I just have to shake my head. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
And btw, there is very little in life that I hate........ when magazines promote and propagate idiocy and ignorance........... really, I just have to shake my head. :rolleyes:
So, you don't hate subjectivists, they're just ignorant idiots?:)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Nobody's talking about hating anybody. I'm just hanging onto my dollar and Adrian is doing a little head shaking. It's a two sided coin thing with probably any publication. Many of the articles are informative but.......:D

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
There i acertain percentage of products that cant be justified but as far as most Hi-End cables, amps , pres and LP, CD equipment you get what you pay for.......many who snear at Hi-End simply have no experience with these caliber of products. Its like having a 14yr old review the performance of a race car because he does good with them on his X-Box.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Anyone care to offer anything better than questions and emoticons?

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Never subscribed to any of them. I buy HiFi news and/or What HiFi off the shelf sometimes, but purely for entertainment value. (They must obviously be taken with a grain of salt, since they actually review cables and stands!:eek:)

A

Addy

Audioholic
home theater mag i think is the best they have all prices of gear down to even htib to 10000 dollar speakers. sound an vision some times has good articles but i find they go towards the more higher end equipment

W

Waveform

Audioholic Intern
I have subsribed to Stereo Review and kept with them through their transition into Sound and Vision. Unfortunately (for me) it has turned into an installers magazine, and there is little to interest me any more except for the news snippets; so I think I'll let my subscription lapse. I did subscribe to Stereophile for a couple of years about 10 years back because the subscriptions came with two set up CDs that I use to this day (especially the warble tones at about thirty equally spaced frequencies, all recorded at equal loudness). Michael Fremer's analogue rants finally got to me though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis