What HT and Audio Mags to you subscribe to?

itschris

itschris

I subscribe to HomeTheater Mag and Sound & Vision. What other mags do you like?

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
The Absolute Sound and Stereophile. I may let Stereophile lapse in a year. I do give a subscription of Home Theatre to my son each year.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I have never once bought a single AV magazine.

OTOH, I have once donated money to a particular audio site. Not to be a "special member" or anything, they simply needed donations to upgrade software.

itschris

itschris

I have Sound & Vision currently.
Not to hijack my own thread, but seeing that you're a huge def tech fan I wanted to tell you that I've settled on the new 7004's and the 2500 center. I'm gonna wait a bit to see if David Gaudreau will be able to offer another ordering event with them, but I've definately made my decision. I've always been a huge fan of these speakers from back in the day when bp3K and 2K's came out.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not to hijack my own thread, but seeing that you're a huge def tech fan I wanted to tell you that I've settled on the new 7004's and the 2500 center. I'm gonna wait a bit to see if David Gaudreau will be able to offer another ordering event with them, but I've definately made my decision. I've always been a huge fan of these speakers from back in the day when bp3K and 2K's came out.
What the heck, let's hijack your thread.:D

I've always liked Def Techs since my college days, but just didn't have the guts to shell out the money.

The BP7004s & CLR2500 should be great!

itschris

itschris

I'm stoked. I first gave them a listen in the mid 90's I think right after I got out of college. I got a pair of BP 2002 (I think that's what they were) when I was about 23 or 24. Dolby Digital wasn't even out yet in HT or at least only on the esoteric side. I had them each setup with an ADCOM Monoblock and ADCOM Prologic pre/pro and 5 disc changer. I thought nothing could sound better at the time. I had them for about 2 years until my "disengagement" from my fiance' who decided to give them away behind my back (I still hold a grudge on that over all these year btw).

Anyway, I listened to the new ones at Best Buy. I think for my living room, the 2004's are perfect, I think the larger model is just a bit overkill and the smaller just didn't have the depth and soundstage. I almost bought them but wanted to do a tad more thinking. I then found this site, joined, but came across the Def Tech thread a day or two too late and missed the group purchase. I'm walling in a triple glass door right now where the new screen will go, so there's not an imediate need right at the moment. I'm hoping David will be able to put something together again around March, but at the same time don't like taking advantage of anyone, so if it works out - great, if not, I'll certainly be okay with it.

Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
Back in the mid 90s I used to read Stereo Review. To add to the hijack, I'm thinking about getting a pair of Definitives for the front. I just need to find a place around here to audition them. :(

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
To hijack back, I think most of us over a certain age got our start reading Stereo Review. Most of my early audio knowledge came from reading Julian Hirsch's column every month. I also like Hi-fidelity back 20 years or so. I think the magazines combined before becoming Sound & Vision.

Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
To hijack back, I think most of us over a certain age got our start reading Stereo Review. Most of my early audio knowledge came from reading Julian Hirsch's column every month. I also like Hi-fidelity back 20 years or so. I think the magazines combined before becoming Sound & Vision.
Ah ha, that's why I couldn't find Stereo Review anymore. I might have to check out Sound & Vision.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I used to have a subscription to Audio Video Interiors, not sure if it's around anymore (anyone know?). That's really the only one I like,I let the subscription lapse by accident. My dream is to someday have a beautiful home theater/music dedicated room, maybe not as extravigent as some of the stuff in A/V interiors, but, you get a lot of ideas and it's interesting to see the equipment and acoustical considerations used in the installs (I remember seeing a Bag End system that looked like it could kill a small animal).

Stereophile is good for a laugh when your on an airplane or something, kills some time. Like $20,000 speakers that the frequency response measurements could be confused with an earthquake reading on a siesmograph. ;) But it sounds like HEAAVVEEEN. ;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't subscribe to any of them. I did buy a Sound & Vision magazine not long ago because mrty referenced an article in there. The $10,000 speakers in there told me I was out of my league. Then my kids English teacher gave me a stack of Stereophile magazines. Between the $15,000 CD player and the add for cryogenically treated interconnects, I saw that I was out of my league and they were not adverse to snake oil peddlers. I was afraid that I might get fed BS and believe it. If they are willing to accept advertising dollars from people like that, then they can't have any money from people like me. :)

itschris

itschris

I loved the Audio Video Interiors. I tried searching and found what I think is there website but I don't see any subscription info. I found another site that seemed pretty cool too. I used to love looking at all those high dollar theaters. I guy in my office who's one of those people with more money than sense just wrapped up an upgrade on this theater. He's got about $300K into it with all the fancy wall treatments and fiber optic starry ceiling and all the things that are cool. It's something to behold.

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/
http://www.audiovideointeriors.com/

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I subscribe to HomeTheater Mag and Sound & Vision. What other mags do you like?
The $ensible Sound right now.
Used to do The Audio Critic, Sound&Vision, Audio, and Stereo Review.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Stereophile devotes space to moderately priced equipment as well as the absurd. The core subscription base is analog/vinyl oriented after all. I kind of enjoy reading about the decadent equipment. Each year they recommend equipment reviewed at various price points and budgets. About the best I have is their 'c' class.

Rico

Rico

Audioholic
I used to have a subscription to Audio Video Interiors, not sure if it's around anymore (anyone know?). That's really the only one I like,I let the subscription lapse by accident. My dream is to someday have a beautiful home theater/music dedicated room, maybe not as extravigent as some of the stuff in A/V interiors, but, you get a lot of ideas and it's interesting to see the equipment and acoustical considerations used in the installs (I remember seeing a Bag End system that looked like it could kill a small animal).

Stereophile is good for a laugh when your on an airplane or something, kills some time. Like $20,000 speakers that the frequency response measurements could be confused with an earthquake reading on a siesmograph. ;) But it sounds like HEAAVVEEEN. ;)

I think they are part of Home Theather Mag now ...

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Stereophile, Absolute Sound, Sound and Vision, Perfect Vision, Electronics House, have in past had HIFI, Listener, Sensible Sound, StereoReview and another I cant recall.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
When I was starting off in this hobby and knew very little about AV I regularly read Stereophile, HiFi News, Sound and Vision and anything else I could get me hands on and was generally in awe and ignorant.

Then I started to really learn about AV and realized that the majority of the editorials in these subjectivist mags were full of misleading BS. And I mean serious amounts BS; when you start seeing tip sections that promote the notion that the angle of screws in component power plugs (UK) actually make a difference to the sound you just have to shake your head and move on. And don't get me started on Atkinson. :rolleyes:

Anyway, these days I just can't pick up an AV mag without cringing at something or other on almost every page. Sure, there are a few gem articles scattered about here and there but I'm not paying out a lot of money for the odd 500 words when the information and articles online are just as good or better and can be had for free.

If the old style Stereo Review was still around (the mag that did the infamous amp comparisons, etc) then, from what I’ve read of their articles online, I may have subscribed to them.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
My only magazine subscription is National Geographic.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
i get the Chesky Records news letter, that limits the amount of time in the bathoom:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis