What Head Phones should I buy?

ARKaMAN

ARKaMAN

Enthusiast
Hello my G930s just broke... So I am on the look for a new pair of headphones. I am willing to spend around $350. Also I need some advice on what to plug them into. I have been reading on the internet and it sounds like plugging these into onboard Motherboard sound is a bad idea. Do I need a sound card? Or a preamp of some kind? Any information would be great. I have been looking at the AKG K702 because I like the fact you can remove the cable from the headphones.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
What kind of music do you listen to? I find headphones differ a lot with music, some I tryed sound awesome with hard rock/dominant vocals sharp drums and punchy bass but dont sound good with hip hop rap ect... And others sound awesome with hip hop but lack the strong mids it takes to reproduce voice well...

Anyway, if your budget is $350 just for headphones I use AKG k267 and they are pretty much $350 exactly. They have an awesome sound, I love them for rock, country, classical, jazz, R&&B, rap, ect.. A good all around set...

Now if you dont care about bass much, and dont listen to much rap r&B ect.. Than look into HD25's, I have a set and they cost much less, Not crazy about how they reproduce low digital bass {rap hip hop ect} stuff like Black eyed peas with low lows isnt GREAT, but still very nice set also...

As far as what to plug them into, you will notice a world of difference going from your direct plugin methos to a Audioengine D1 DAC, best $150 you will ever spend.... I have one double sided taped to the monitor of my laptop {I own 3 all together}....

Good luck, I dont know much about other sets, since I have only owned 3 sets my entire life, but the 2 I listed should be a good start..

Also both a very comfortable.. I hope I am talking about the rite headphones with you, because the G930s are more of a "gaming" headphone, I know very little about them except my kids have g35's they use for gaming... Arent them wireless? The 2 I listed have no mics and are for music...

ARKaMAN

ARKaMAN

Enthusiast
I like Drum&bass,techno,trance,Dubstep,rock and many many others. I also play games on my PC. Not having a mic is no issue for me I have USB Yeti I use. And yes the G930s are wireless, but I am willing to give that up for a better build. I will link a picture to my Disassembled G930s. Look at the micro small wires they used in these things. The darn thing is incased in a plastic shell. If it wasn't for that I would have just soldered the wires, but I can't get to them. UGG!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
check out the k267 with an audioengine dac, they work really well

ARKaMAN

ARKaMAN

Enthusiast
Do you know how well the internals are built on the K267? Also I don't see whether the cable is detachable. Thanks for the help so far.

ARKaMAN

ARKaMAN

Enthusiast
Matching headphones with an amp is a bit of a black art. With a $350 budget, I'd probably get the AKG 550s: Amazon.com: AKG K550 Closed-Back Reference Class Headphones (Black): Electronics. They're easy to drive so you'll be able to use them with your computer, iPod, whatever, and you won't need an amp.
Well if the amp costs more that's not included in my $350 because I can just lie to myself. Also should I get a sound card? or is onboard audio good enough I have the M4A79T Deluxe.

Realtek® 1200 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
- Supports Jack-Detection, Multi-Streaming, and Front Panel Jack-Retasking
- Coaxial / Optical S/PDIF Out ports at back I/O
- ASUS Noise Filtering

What ever that stuff means...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Well if the amp costs more that's not included in my $350 because I can just lie to myself. Also should I get a sound card? or is onboard audio good enough I have the M4A79T Deluxe.

Realtek® 1200 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
- Supports Jack-Detection, Multi-Streaming, and Front Panel Jack-Retasking
- Coaxial / Optical S/PDIF Out ports at back I/O
- ASUS Noise Filtering

What ever that stuff means...
If you get something like the d1 I mentioned you wont have to worry about the sound card, it takes your digital signal and converts it for you, has a volume knob and internal amp... its awesome buy one..

ARKaMAN

ARKaMAN

Enthusiast
I got my G930s plastic shell apart and I see the issue! XD Thanks for the help guys I still plan on getting another pair of headphones in a few months. I will definitely use the advice you gave.
:mad: Micro Wires!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There are several AKG models suggested here, I can't say much good or bad about these, but be wary of highly recommended Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - these have extremely harsh and too strong mid and low bass
Audioengine D1 do more than decent job as dac and headphone amp
and I heard only one headphones which beat my Fostex T20RP/T50RP and they are Sony MDR-SA5000. I seen them sold around $380.

Imo they have level of comfort I have yet to seen anywhere and sounded extremely nice.

p.s: Both Fostex models have detachable cords and pads easily replaceable with compatible shure pads

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I have the AKG k701s and really like them, but there are those who don't. They have an airy / spacious quality to the sound that some find artificial. You might also want to listen to Sennheiser 600 or 650s and Beyer 880s.

I'm interested in the Objective headphone amp ODAC combination. I haven't heard it myself (yet). JDS Labs - O2+ODAC Combo
I've been waiting for news on the desktop version, but there hasn't been any activity on NwAvguy's blog since May.

V

Valicious

Enthusiast
I have a pair of Grado SR325is, and I am very happy with them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis